Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-19-2023, 06:08 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Oaklawn and Aqueduct
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2023, 08:27 PM   #17
River11
Murray KY

I play two tracks exclusively , Horseshoe Indy from Apr to Nov and Tampa Bay from Nov to Apr. With Tampa don't have to deal with winter time cancellation issues. Both tracks have safe dirt surfaces and excellent turf courses. I can get a good feel for track biases and when biases change. Boring playing only two tracks, one at a time for most, but that's where my comfort zone is. Through the 70's and 80's played the minor league tracks, River Downs, Latonia, Beulah Park, Fairmont Park and Cahokia Downs, my roots.
River11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2023, 09:04 PM   #18
jefftune

I bet both thoroughbreds and harness.
I win at both these tracks consistently.

Saratoga (the one tb track I really focus on annually)

Hoosier Park harness
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2023, 09:17 PM   #19
jimmyb

Tampa and Saratoga. Top quality product at Saratoga and i love Americas Day At The Races. Went to Saratoga a few years ago and loved the country track atmosphere. I spent 9 years in the Tampa area and grew to love the racing. Stella Thayer does it right at Tampa.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #20
plainolebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Summer - FL and PRX

Winter - Tam and PRX

iI like conditioned claimers
Me too
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2023, 07:20 AM   #21
AutumnLotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Sha Tin and Happy Valley in Hong Kong which each run their races once a week.
Why?
Consistently large fields
Lots of Turf racing
Excellent pre-race commentary
Enormous betting pools
Total restriction of race time drug use
Opportunity for profit
I have been listening to a podcast on Spotify about playing the races and the format is nearly 20 episodes over 1.5 to 2.5 hrs long where the host interviews various professional players, some well known others not so at all but have made the game their only means of income.

All the guests have been playing for well over 20 to 30 years.

99% of them talk about how computer assisted wagering and the advent/offering of less than $1 plays for exotics i.e., .10 Superfecta and .50 Pick 3 etc have in their opinion greatly brought the value of many opportunities down greatly.

But, I mention this because many of them have been talking about how they have begun to get into playing the Hong Kong tracks for the very reasons stated above. They go onto say they have a mentor, someone from the U.S. who has learned the ins and outs and have created their own Pace figures etc.
Apparantly racing in HK according to them is how it used to be here in the States during the golden years.

I use Amwager, and they do have Hong Kong tracks, but I am not sure if I am able to actually wager on them. I havent tried, but I have tried to pull up VIDEO when they are running and I guess Amwager does not support simulcasting for Hong Kong tracks as it will not open video feed.

May I ask what wagering site do you use?

You can PM me if need be.
AutumnLotus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2023, 09:51 PM   #22
Nitro

Quote:
Why?
Lots of Turf racing
Enormous betting pools
Opportunity for profit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnLotus View Post
I have been listening to a podcast on Spotify about playing the races and the format is nearly 20 episodes over 1.5 to 2.5 hrs long where the host interviews various professional players, some well known others not so at all but have made the game their only means of income.

All the guests have been playing for well over 20 to 30 years.

99% of them talk about how computer assisted wagering and the advent/offering of less than $1 plays for exotics i.e., .10 Superfecta and .50 Pick 3 etc have in their opinion greatly brought the value of many opportunities down greatly.

But, I mention this because many of them have been talking about how they have begun to get into playing the Hong Kong tracks for the very reasons stated above. They go onto say they have a mentor, someone from the U.S. who has learned the ins and outs and have created their own Pace figures etc.
Apparently racing in HK according to them is how it used to be here in the States during the golden years.

I use Amwager, and they do have Hong Kong tracks, but I am not sure if I am able to actually wager on them. I havent tried, but I have tried to pull up VIDEO when they are running and I guess Amwager does not support simulcasting for Hong Kong tracks as it will not open video feed.

May I ask what wagering site do you use?
I’m not a member of the group you mentioned that are being interviewed for the Spotify podcasts. However, I can identify with their feelings about playing the races in Hong Kong. I’ve playing there for the last 8 years and can unequivocally relate to their comment about how it feels like “how it used to be during the golden years of racing” (especially in NY). I’ve been playing the game since the early 70’s and as I’ve mentioned on many occasions, I believe the racing in HK offers the best product on the planet. I won’t go into that again, because until you’ve experienced it for yourself my opinion means nothing to those caught up in all the nonsense and distractions revolving around Stateside racing.

I’m also not among those who follow the “ins and outs” of the handicapping all the variables associated with the HK racing. If that’s the way you like to play the game then you’re in store for an eye-opening wealth of information offered to the HK patrons through the Hong Kong Jockey Club’s Web site. And believe it or not it’s all free!

I only apply a very sophisticated tote analysis to generate entries of betting interest on a race-by-race basis. I believe I can focus better on playability when attempting to make either 3-entry Dutch Win, Quinella, or even Triple type wagers. I also have an account with AmWager, because they not only offer these types of bets, but they also update the tote data every 30 seconds. I’ve never had to use their Video Feed for live HK racing because I’ve been spoiled by the Australian feed (See link below).

To get started you can refer to the following links for more info:
Live HK Racing Video:
https://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/...=livestreaming

If you can't view the races try listening on the HK Jockey Club radio: (Click on English)
The English Radio version of the HKJC Web site:
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/engli...wcase/live.asp

You might also be interested in using the HKJC Form Guide instead of the DRF PPs.
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/speed...de.html?race=1

Or their Race Cards:
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/infor...se=HV&RaceNo=1

If you’re interested in the value of the LIVE tote action, it’s available here:
https://bet.hkjc.com/racing/pages/od...ue=HV&raceno=1

Tote Also available on TwinSpires:
https://www.twinspires.com/bet/progr...ghbred/1/pools

For today’s and archived complete results:
https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/infor...alResults.aspx

From time to time, I’ll be posting my preliminary selections in the Selection Forum.
Tonight might be a good time to start posting again.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2023, 11:21 PM   #23
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

I agree with Nitro---ST/HV...6 mill. approx. per race? Mostly 8-14 entrants, transparent enforcement, free PP, lots of equipment/vet info, etc., decreased scratches, etc. Much to desire, however, not perfect, the time of racing is a challenge, 16 hrs. difference. XPRESSBET handles HV/ST racing with video.

Last edited by crestridge; 11-21-2023 at 11:27 PM.
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2023, 10:58 AM   #24
classhandicapper

I'm going to have to say CD and FG with OP being a close runner up. I think I find value more often at CD and FG than let's say in NY or CA. When I have some bias, race flow, or ground loss note on a horse that's not obvious I seem to get my price. In NY and CA those horses get bet. I also see more legitimate bad favorites at CD and FG.
Old 11-26-2023, 04:57 PM   #25
MJC922

I tend to do best at Aqueduct and I'd probably put Santa Anita a close second but I've been trying to get myself up to speed on Woodbine this year. Laurel very occasionally. Just depends who has a decent looking card really. It's frustrating to spend time sifting through a bad card as a weekend player, a lot of time can be wasted before one even realizes there may be something better someplace else today and then what do you do? Usually just hang in there and take a whipping anyway. Full time players can size up a whole card at their home track in a matter of minutes and have a decent feel for what kind of day it looks like. I miss those days of picking prime bets off of the overnight...

Last edited by MJC922; 11-26-2023 at 04:59 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2023, 05:41 PM   #26
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
I tend to do best at Aqueduct and I'd probably put Santa Anita a close second but I've been trying to get myself up to speed on Woodbine this year. Laurel very occasionally. Just depends who has a decent looking card really. It's frustrating to spend time sifting through a bad card as a weekend player, a lot of time can be wasted before one even realizes there may be something better someplace else today and then what do you do? Usually just hang in there and take a whipping anyway. Full time players can size up a whole card at their home track in a matter of minutes and have a decent feel for what kind of day it looks like. I miss those days of picking prime bets off of the overnight...
In recent years I've shifted my betting from single circuit with occasional forays to another track to focusing on specific race types wherever they are being carded that day. I don't even bother looking at most races on any race card.

I may miss an occasional bet by not even looking at a lot of races, but my attention is focused where I have the most information and insights that may give me an edge over other semi serious or serious players that are spread more thinly or less focused.

I tend to focus on higher quality races because that's what I enjoy, but if it was purely about money that's probably a bad focus because more people follow those races closely. You are probably better off finding less followed situations at less popular tracks. I know when they had mule racing at the CA fairs, I had a huge edge because there were no publics handicappers, the available speed figures were laughable inaccurate, and there was some tourist money in the pools.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-27-2023 at 05:55 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2023, 06:34 PM   #27
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
In recent years I've shifted my betting from single circuit with occasional forays to another track to focusing on specific race types wherever they are being carded that day. I don't even bother looking at most races on any race card.

I may miss an occasional bet by not even looking at a lot of races, but my attention is focused where I have the most information and insights that may give me an edge over other semi serious or serious players that are spread more thinly or less focused.

I tend to focus on higher quality races because that's what I enjoy, but if it was purely about money that's probably a bad focus because more people follow those races closely. You are probably better off finding less followed situations at less popular tracks. I know when they had mule racing at the CA fairs, I had a huge edge because there were no publics handicappers, the available speed figures were laughable inaccurate, and there was some tourist money in the pools.
Do you look for specific race shapes that seem to stand out from a high level and then dive in for a more detailed analysis or do you approach it more from the standpoint of following specific horses that may have left an earlier impression?
Old 11-27-2023, 07:14 PM   #28
classhandicapper

Quote:
Do you look for specific race shapes that seem to stand out from a high level and then dive in for a more detailed analysis or do you approach it more from the standpoint of following specific horses that may have left an earlier impression?
I watch the replay of every dirt graded stakes race and many listed stakes races around the country. I make detailed trip & race flow notes for each of those races and bias notes for each of those race cards using my computer generated metrics on the makeup of the field, my own analysis, and a quick look at the TimeformUS pace figures for that race (when they come in).

I do similar work for turf, but only the more major races.

I am especially focused on certain trips/bias/pace/ground loss/bad start/race flows I think may slip through the cracks or that I think may be misunderstood by conventional wisdom.

Race day I go to the PPs of the races I'm interested in, scan all my notes to see if anyone I think is a strong upgrade or downgrade is running, look at my pace projections and get a feel for who the contenders are. If there's a horse I want to key on or against, I try to figure out if there's a way I can construct a bet that makes sense given my opinion.

Monday through Wednesday I'm usually just updating my database, running calculations for my metrics for the previous week, watching replays and making notes.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:24 AM   #29
HKHandicapper

Quote:
Why?
Lots of Turf racing
Enormous betting pools
Opportunity for profit
agreed
HKHandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2023, 04:09 PM   #30
classhandicapper

Quote:
I should add that I also look for fields that are stronger or weaker (not necessarily faster/slower) than the official class designation or where the race was especially deep or shallow in sharp horses that fit the class. I'm hoping to find horses that are better/worse than their speed figures indicate.

I especially like races that were so strong and deep that very good horses got buried and ran slower than they are capable of when spotted properly. When horses like that take a small drop, they are sometimes class standouts but the speed figures don't indicate how good they are.

The idea is to predict key races. I don't want to wait until well beaten horses start coming out of a race and winning at the same level (or better) and running faster. Then everyone knows. If you can predict those races, you can still sometimes get a good price on a hidden class drop because people are so figure oriented.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-28-2023 at 04:22 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply