Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #1351
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull_zeye View Post
I just got it loaded, watched the videos on YouTube, started practicing with some old data files to set up the analyst models. Will set up a couple of analysis models this week to try this weekend with some live racing. I am looking for some advice on how people set up and apply their analyst models. At the moment I am thinking of doing 4 versions, 1 for each of the races I play the most just to try it out:

Clm/Allow Dirt Sprints
Clm/Allow Dirt Routes
Clm/Allow Turf Sprints
Clm/Allow Turf Routes

Does this make sense as an initial application of the program or am I being too simple or too complicated in the initial approach?

Other question, the DRF files from equibase, should I be using single or multifile format or does it not matter?
I have no idea what multifiles are or does....I use single file format...

As for your starting approach....

Right on separating surf/dist for each track.....
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #1352
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Use the Single file. Won't work with any other. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #1353
Hues10

Brisket files work?

I was able to load the software and get it to startup in only two tries. Interested in just trying it out with sample Brisnet files I can download for free if I wager. Does the program accept Brisnet as well?. I know it uses JCapper and DRF, which I do not get. Also, what format is the PPS for a saved? They download in a PDF file format? Sorry for the basic questions, but hey, I have the program up and running and made two analyst scenarios like on the videos.
Hues10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #1354
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hues10 View Post
I was able to load the software and get it to startup in only two tries. Interested in just trying it out with sample Brisnet files I can download for free if I wager. Does the program accept Brisnet as well?. I know it uses JCapper and DRF, which I do not get. Also, what format is the PPS for a saved? They download in a PDF file format? Sorry for the basic questions, but hey, I have the program up and running and made two analyst scenarios like on the videos.
You get a free data file??

I believe its a free PDF File you get.....when you make a bet...

PDF's do not work in HF
Old 07-21-2020, 01:13 AM   #1355
bull_zeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
I have no idea what multifiles are or does....I use single file format...

As for your starting approach....

Right on separating surf/dist for each track.....
I've scoured the site for the Handisearch program or technique and have come up empty. People are suggesting in the thread to use Handisearch to help identify factors and weights but I can't find any details about what Handisearch is and where to find it.

Just asking for a llittle help in finding out more about this handisearch thing, what it is , where to find it and is there any documentation on it? Thanks for this great program it looks very interesting and a real time saver.
bull_zeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 06:19 AM   #1356
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bull_zeye View Post
I've scoured the site for the Handisearch program or technique and have come up empty. People are suggesting in the thread to use Handisearch to help identify factors and weights but I can't find any details about what Handisearch is and where to find it.

Just asking for a llittle help in finding out more about this handisearch thing, what it is , where to find it and is there any documentation on it? Thanks for this great program it looks very interesting and a real time saver.
Here ya go.....

Theres instructions within the ZIP file....

Create a Folder on your c: drive .....I named it HANDISEARCH...and then extract this zip in there....

Read instructions !!

Have Fun...

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: zip HF BATCH PROCESSING.zip (1.30 MB, 79 views)
Old 07-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #1357
Hues10

Mike, you see very helpful, which is great. I think the last person was asking more for information on how to set the factors up. As in there must be some tested factor weighting’s that have a proven track record of some success. No body seems to discuss that here. I know there is no one magic formula, but there are leading factors. My two cents.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #1358
mikesal57
Veteran

Ah....a inquisitive mind here.....

As you see or found out yourself, developing weights is pretty much a trial and error GUESS...

A book called "Precision" by CXWong got me into using Excel and "R" for regression analysis....

So with that in mind , I got Handi and the other guys to develop Handisearch..

Its better than guessing...

I'll leave it at that

Mike
Old 07-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #1359
Longshot6977

Quote:
Mike, you see very helpful, which is great. I think the last person was asking more for information on how to set the factors up. As in there must be some tested factor weighting’s that have a proven track record of some success. No body seems to discuss that here. I know there is no one magic formula, but there are leading factors. My two cents.
Hues10
Here is a copy from a previous post I made in 2017 in post #866.
You need to track what Handifast factors are winning at your track by using the Batch processor(Handisearch) in conjunction with the Exotic results file (.XRD extension) These are .25c per track/day at Brisnet. And use the corresponding single data files (.DRF file $1.00 /track/day).
But as a general guide, for sprints, assign a high weight to the EP and CL factors and for a route assign higher LP and CL and maybe higher trainer factor weights. Over time or after tracking races for a while, you will learn what factors win at your track or even at turf routes or turf sprints or dirt sprints or dirt routes. I made separate ones for maiden too.

Here is one I tinkered with at Monmouth and have good results early in the 2017 season (your results may vary):

For Dirt Sprint analyst
Class=200
EP=250
Turf=250 hey, it's a working factor so far
trainer=150
Jockey=250
Speed 2 back=100
Last speed=150
Power/speed Combo=100
Mitchell power=200

Good luck!
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 10:35 AM   #1360
bull_zeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Here ya go.....

Theres instructions within the ZIP file....

Create a Folder on your c: drive .....I named it HANDISEARCH...and then extract this zip in there....

Read instructions !!

Have Fun...

Mike
Thank you Mike, much appreciate the help in getting started with this. I have a lot of old data files and results files and never thought those would come in "handi" again but now they will.
bull_zeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 12:35 PM   #1361
Hues10

Thanks Longshot. Just another question, are the daily Brisnet PP data files ok to use? You mentioned .DRF. I just want to fool around with this program and not use it for all tracks running. Don’t think I want to spend money on a monthly subscription. Not yet anyway.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #1362
Longshot6977

I download them from Brisnet for $1.00/day/track at this link https://www.brisnet.com/product/data-files/DRS. They have the .DRF file extension.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #1363
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
I download them from Brisnet for $1.00/day/track at this link https://www.brisnet.com/product/data-files/DRS. They have the .DRF file extension.
.drf will work
Old 07-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #1364
Hues10

Thanks to both Mike and Longshot.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:57 PM   #1365
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks to both Mike and Longshot.