Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Saturday Beyers

Uncle Mo 89
Tackleberry 103

I'll add more as I find them.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Yeah, I just looked at the replay of the 8th at GP. That wasn't a race, it was a workout.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Premier Pegasus, 96
Miss Match, 96
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
classhandicapper

The extremely slow pace almost certainly had a huge negative impact on Uncle Mo's final time.

The funny thing is that if this was some random NW1 winner instead of Uncle Mo, some people would be saying the horse wired a weak field off a very slow pace and hadn't done anything to demonstrate it could run a lot faster under quality pressure. The even funnier thing is that a lot of the time they would be right.

All that said, I've seen a lot of precocious 2YOs that didn't develop much if at all at 3, but I haven't seem many that got worse at 3 unless there were physical problems. As far as I know, Uncle Mo is totally sound. So I think it's safe to assume Uncle Mo had an absolute ton in reserve and can be viewed in light of his 2YO campaign.

I'm not so sure I like this preparation though. This is not some seasoned older horse that just needs a single tuneup race to get to 100%. These are early year 3YOs with a limited foundation for going long distances under extremely competitive conditions like the Derby. I don't see how this race did any more for him than a 1 mile workout in company. I think the best thing that could happen from here is a tougher race (not killer but tough) in the Wood or Florida derby to set him up better.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 03-13-2011 at 01:49 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Beachbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
The extremely slow pace almost certainly had a huge negative impact on Uncle Mo's final time.

The funny thing is that if this was some random NW1 winner instead of Uncle Mo, some people would be saying the horse wired a weak field off a very slow pace and hadn't done anything to demonstrate it could run a lot faster under quality pressure. The even funnier thing is that a lot of the time they would be right.

All that said, I've seen a lot of precocious 2YOs that didn't develop much if at all at 3, but I haven't seem many that got worse at 3 unless there were physical problems. As far as I know, Uncle Mo is totally sound. So I think it's safe to assume Uncle Mo had an absolute ton in reserve and can be viewed in light of his 2YO campaign.

I'm not so sure I like this preparation though. This is not some seasoned older horse that just needs a single tuneup race to get to 100%. These are early year 3YOs with a limited foundation for going long distances under extremely competitive conditions like the Derby. I don't see how this race did any more for him than a 1 mile workout in company. I think the best thing that could happen from here is a tougher race (not killer but tough) in the Wood or Florida derby to set him up better.

Agree !!
Though I don't see anything else that has stepped up and stamped themselves as a legitimate contender.
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
As far as I know, Uncle Mo is totally sound. So I think it's safe to assume Uncle Mo had an absolute ton in reserve and can be viewed in light of his 2YO campaign.

Totally agree.

I hope he gets another relatively easy-paced win in the Wood, but hopefully with a fairly large Beyer figure this time, and then he will be perfectly set up to lose in the Derby at skimpy odds.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I saw nothing that impressed me.

I saw nothing close to a quality race. And now he has one shot left to get ready, in which he must beat better and stretch out to two turns. I hope he is the Derby favorite.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I saw nothing that impressed me.

I saw nothing close to a quality race. And now he has one shot left to get ready, in which he must beat better and stretch out to two turns. I hope he is the Derby favorite.
What I saw in that race was that the 1 rushed up quickly to take the lead and then hit the brakes immediately. The next quarter looked like they were running in slow motion. Mo never exerted anything close to what he could have until the 6 tried to overtake him, Then he put him away easily and then coasted home.

The horse had all kinds of energy left, but didn't need to use it.

Just my take on the replay.

Just a decent workout for him.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 03-13-2011 at 04:57 PM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
gm10

I was impressed by Mo. He probably was only 85% and the speed figure isn't special but he still looked like a bundle of raw talent.

I have a very good figure for Premier Pegasus, but his final split was slightly disappointing.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

So which prep will see a colt or filly finally hit the 100 Beyer barrier?

Arkansas Derby?
Wood Mem?
Florida Derby?
Santa Anita Derby?
Louisiana Derby?
Blue Grass?
Illinois Derby?

Your guess is as good as mine...step right up and take your pick.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Doza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
So which prep will see a colt or filly finally hit the 100 Beyer barrier?

Arkansas Derby?
Wood Mem?
Florida Derby?
Santa Anita Derby?
Louisiana Derby?
Blue Grass?
Illinois Derby?

Your guess is as good as mine...step right up and take your pick.
The San Vicente?

Although I'm sure you mean two turn preps.

Last edited by Doza; 03-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Doza is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #12
gm10

Uncle Mo came home in 17.7 meter/sec.
That is extremely impressive, usually only seen on the turf.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
Uncle Mo came home in 17.7 meter/sec.
meter/sec? You do realize this website is based in the USA...we dumb asses don't do metric...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2011, 06:47 PM   #14
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
meter/sec? You do realize this website is based in the USA...we dumb asses don't do metric...
they don't do meters in the UK either, you know

convert it into feet if you wish
Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #15
gm10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
the reason why I like meters/second is because 0.1 m/sec is approximately 1 length over 2 furlongs

for example, Radiohead went 17.1 last year
that means a difference of 0.6 m/s with Mo, in other words Mo was 6 lengths faster than Radiohead over the final 2f

Last edited by gm10; 03-13-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: