Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
senortout

What rules are in place to protect the bettor?

What rules are there about betting against a horse you own?
For example, if you bet the pick 6 and your horse is in a leg, must you single your horse?
If your horse is in a trifecta, must you key your horse on top?
If you bet your horse to win, is it legal for you to wager a larger amount on another horse to win in the same race?

Another question, if you are an owner or a trainer who doesn't appear the 'betting type' are your ADW accounts flagged to indicate they are involved on a different level than others?

Of course, rules are made to be broken, some laws just beg breaking too, but I was just wondering.

Lots of trainers run uncoupled entries in California, what is the rule on betting those uncoupled entries?....must bet both,(or none), equal amounts, I'd say that would be the only fair way.....

Last edited by senortout; 05-23-2010 at 08:08 PM.
senortout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

There's no rules really. You can bet against your own horses all you want, to my knowledge, no one is watchdogging this stuff. Also, you can do it live and on track, just go up to a window and bet against your horse with cash, there will be no paper trail to speak of. I would just say its probably better off not having a 'signer' against your own runner, but even still, i've never heard of an owner 'busted' for 'betting against'.

I look at the 'racing rulings' on the .gov website and never saw an owner fined or suspended for betting against....i only have to imagine there's no one who monitors it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout
For example, if you bet the pick 6 and your horse is in a leg, must you single your horse?
If you bet your horse to win, is it legal for you to wager a larger amount on another horse to win in the same race?

Another question, if you are an owner or a trainer who doesn't appear the 'betting type' are your ADW accounts flagged to indicate they are involved on a different level than others?

Of course, rules are made to be broken, some laws just beg breaking too, but I was just wondering.

Lots of trainers run uncoupled entries in California, what is the rule on betting those uncoupled entries?....must bet both,(or none), equal amounts, I'd say that would be the only fair way.....

In California,The California Horse Racing Board (CHRB) has a full set of rules posted on their website. http://www.chrb.ca.gov/index.htm

The section of where most of your questions are answered are under "Rules"
...Pari-Mutuel Wagering(#1950)(#1970)(#1971)...and Riding Rules(#1699).

http://www.chrb.ca.gov/query_rules_a...section_number

The California Stewards are responsible to uphold the rules,representing the CHRB. If you have a complaint there are procedures in place to process it.

I will be glad to assist if there is a problem and you do not know what to do.

roger@hanaweb.org

Last edited by rwwupl; 05-24-2010 at 09:27 AM.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by senortout
In theory there are rules-

BUT-

Say you're a trainer that wants to single a horse in your P6 sequence, or key a Trifecta, except that isn't the horse you entered. What's to prevent you from having a buddy put in the ticket ?
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply