Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Valuist

The racetrack for a date

Is the track a good place to take a date? I think it depends on the two people's interest in racing. Its probably great for those who either never go, or go once or twice a year. For hardcore race fans, I think it has disaster written all over it.

I am supposed to go this Saturday w/the new g/f to Arlington....HER idea, not mine. I remember taking a girlfriend there once about 4 years ago. While walking back from the paddock, I ran into a couple friends I hadn't seen in awhile. My g/f and two other friends kept walking. I talked w/my track friends for a couple minutes and my g/f was angry thinking that I had dodged her. Then came the funny looks when I went inside to watch the race on the monitor while they went down by the rail (IMO, a terrible view at Arlington in which one virtually cannot see anything on the backstretch). Then of course, there's the obligatory race where the 3 newbies pick the winner based on the name, while your bet goes down in flames. I already tried to talk her into going for the final 6 races, which appear much more bettable than the first 5, which are loaded with small fields of bad horses running over a rubber surface. She still wants to attend the full card......

So what is the best way to approach it?
a) handicap the card like any other, and BET EARLY, before any alcohol or macho pride can affect one's thinking
b) focus on the woman, making only small bets. Downside is minimal, but it might be a little boring.
c) rely heavily on paddock and post parade inspection.
d) ignore the Poly and focus on Belmont and Churchill. If she says "I like the way Borel rides the rail", she's a keeper.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Definitely B. Make a few token pick 3's on the first five races so that you don't go out of your mind and bet like you normally would on the last six.

If you bet on the simulcasts at Belmont and Churchill, that will take time away from the girlfriend and she might start to be sorry that she suggested going to the track. Stick with Arlington only, it's only one day.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
sonnyp

you know the answer to your question already.

if you're going on a date, forget the gambling and pay attention to the girl.

if your going to gamble, on any level, leave her home and go bet horses.

c'mon...you've been around long enough to know there is NO SERVING TWO MASTERS !
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
Valuist

Sonny and Zman-

You are exactly right. And no, I wasn't realistically planning on betting Belmont or Churchill, although I think I'll be pulling my hair out having to suffer thru a 6 horse field of NW2 lifetime claimers running over the PlastiTrack.

I've seen other guys bring dates to the track, get too focused on the racing and end up ignoring the girl. One friend brought a woman and then had to suffer thru a questionable DQ......it was kind of funny as he tried to keep his anger level down but it clearly was simmering. Never saw him w/that woman again.

Funny thing is, in the past 6 years, almost all of my betting has been done at home. But an 11 race card is long to sit thru.....w/out peaking at Bel or CD.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
andymays
Veteran

Only if you win.

Most women hate gamblers unless they win all the time and that's impossible.

Unless she's bankrolling you.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
miesque

I could do a long list of what to do and not to do but instead I will keep it simple and limit it to two (1) Do NOT go on a simulcasting tear betting multiple tracks between each race at Arlington. Even if that is normal for you, it is probably not going to give the impression you want to give, unless she happens to be a hard core degenerate horseplayer and some of those might be watching you with a raise eyebrow if you went into too much of a frenzy and not getting the requisite results, remember that women, at least subconsiously, take note of how guys that they they are in a relationship with (or who have relationship potential) spend money. (2) Make sure you are a gracious loser and watch your temper if you are one of those inclined to flash it when things go horribly askew (like a bad steward call or boneheaded jockey move). You can play your whole afternoon like a Stardivarius and totally blow it with the wrong outburst.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

Really depends on the lady. My wife grew up attending morning workouts at Stampede Park so it was a no brainer to take her there before we married.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
goforgin
goforgin

Wow, similar to my story. Except we went to the old OTB in North Aurora (night), harness racing. We went to Arlington about 2 weeks later on about our 3rd date. But, the first date to the OTB, HER idea, not mine. She knew I liked horse racing and I think she thought I would be more comfortable (in my comfort zone). We've been together for 16 years now. I think the OTB night was the last time she's been in a parlor for any length of time, but she has been to Arlington again (about 1 trip per year). Recommend handicap the night before and have picks ready so you're on/off the machines in 30 seconds or so. Go down to the rail for 1/2 the races (or more if she likes it). Wait until the horses come back, the picture and the google toss. Check out the paddock a few times. Go to the west side so she can stand a foot or two away as the jockeys come through into the walking ring. If she drinks, offer to buy her one of those fancy-ass bright blue or red slushies. But, keep your head out of the form so she can see how much you enjoy the facility, the people, horses, jockeys, etc. May work for your MSW, but eventually you'll need to come clean about your passion for handicapping and that you like to gamble. But, if she can't appreciate a nice plant like AP to hang out at, win or loss a few bucks, then perhaps it's not in the PP's.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

This is a good place for a date. The key is to never take your attention off HER. Don't handicap at all, that way, you wont be tempted to seriously follow the races, bet very small like a few bucks to show just to have 'action' and enjoy the day. The most important thing about a day like this for you is to get to know the girl better. Put the focus on HER not on the races and have the attitude that you're there to have fun with her, get to know her better and whatnut.

I remember a buddy of mine brought a girl to the races for a first date and it ended up horribly for him....i ended up 'hanging out' with his date while he was deep into the handicapping and betting. He did a ton of work on the card and really was focused on making money...then, he took a bad beat and was trying to get his money back and it spiraled all downhill from there for him.

I actually said to him after the fact, "dude that girl was smokin, what were you thinking?"
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
Johnny V

I have taken many dates to the racetrack over the years and with the exception of one woman they were all complete novice bettors or first time attendees at the races. I have always enjoyed it and they all also have said they enjoyed the experience.
The key for me has been to keep it light, no simulcast betting, and showing them around the track and spending time in the paddock and showing and explaining things of interest to them. Just have fun. It should be easy. After all you are already doing something you enjoy and being somewhere you want to be anyway.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #11
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforgin
But, if she can't appreciate a nice plant like AP to hang out at, win or loss a few bucks, then perhaps it's not in the PP's..
Absolutely agree with this comment, Arlington Park is about as female friendly a track as you will get (beautiful, bright, classy, spic 'n span clean, aesthetically pleasing, great customer service with all the modern amenities you would expect). If she does not enjoy an afternoon at the races there, the odds are not very good she is going to enjoy most other tracks.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Also remember, girls might like tracks, but they don't necessarily like men who are 'gamblers'. Don't want to show her you have a strong 'gambling instinct'.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Bruddah
Veteran

You're one lucky fella. You have a possible girlfriend who likes the Horses. Learn from your mistakes from the last time. Let her set the pace and you follow her lead. No shame in letting the filly run out front as long as you win the race coming from behind.

Oopps! No tawdry puns intended!
Bruddah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #14
born2ride

As a female, I'd be inclined to more interested in a guy if he showed me a little about what happens at the track. I'd not explain too much as that could make you look like a know-it-all, but offer to take her to paddock, ask her if she wants to make a bet and ask why she made the bet on that particular horse. Don't gamble too much but offering to pay for her bet is a nice touch. Basically I'm just adding to what has already been said - pay attention to her and get to know her while letting her get to know a little about you.
born2ride is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
illinoisbred

I feel for ya Valuist. Over the course of a long afternoon(which saturday will be) its very difficult to avoid leaking,oozing,exuding,or expressing too much knowledge/info that will signal to her that racing is much more than a casual, recreational activity for you. At least that's been my experience from track 1st dates.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply