Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #46
The_Turf_Monster

Closing tracks means those horses consolidate into other circuits until they no longer have value in that circuit. It doesn’t solve anything because each circuit can only handle a certain amount of horses to fill stalls until there’s no economic sense in being there.
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #47
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap View Post
Because the racing industry is thriving under state controls?

States have kicked drugs out of racing, right?
States have gotten rid of trainers who violate the rules, right?

Yeah, I thought so.

Yes, I'm sure the transition period to federal oversight has been a bit messy but the feds cant do a worse job than the states have in destroying the sport.
The original title should be Texas throws a hissy over HISA. But andicap is spot on . This is some thing I said was coming before it was an idea. If the states fail to rein in the drug news , the dying news and the injury news it just snow balls right into Congress. Just look at Major League Baseball. Once you make headlines for all the wrong reasons the politicians smell blood, power and a place to “regulate”. It’s just the natural course of things in a political world.

The extra cost and the fact that everyone involved with racing MUST register is going to force some people out. And in some cases that may be a good thing. Because , face it, dishonest people loath scrutiny. The protractors, complainers and cry babies will never face the fact that in a way they have been enablers which got racing to this point. The “let the state commissions continue to control” crowd. Nothing ever changed enough. People get caught red handed and the response is “nothing to see here” or “the land of 10,000 excuses and sugar coating” in some cases downright “ cover ups and indignation “. These people don’t understand the limitations and time line that eventually that crap gets old , wears thin and this is the end result no matter how much you bitch other wise. IN OTHER WORDS , the clock ran out, and time was up. The freaking states had years and years to avoid this and did nothing or not enough. Whats hidden in the dark eventually comes to light. It’s hilarious that somehow people didn’t see this coming for years. I knew it was . Sometimes you gotta pull your head out of sand or your ass and realize what’s happening.

Last edited by burnsy; 05-28-2022 at 06:55 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2022, 08:00 PM   #48
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
The original title should be Texas throws a hissy over HISA. But andicap is spot on . This is some thing I said was coming before it was an idea. If the states fail to rein in the drug news , the dying news and the injury news it just snow balls right into Congress. Just look at Major League Baseball. Once you make headlines for all the wrong reasons the politicians smell blood, power and a place to “regulate”. It’s just the natural course of things in a political world.

The extra cost and the fact that everyone involved with racing MUST register is going to force some people out. And in some cases that may be a good thing. Because , face it, dishonest people loath scrutiny. The protractors, complainers and cry babies will never face the fact that in a way they have been enablers which got racing to this point. The “let the state commissions continue to control” crowd. Nothing ever changed enough. People get caught red handed and the response is “nothing to see here” or “the land of 10,000 excuses and sugar coating” in some cases downright “ cover ups and indignation “. These people don’t understand the limitations and time line that eventually that crap gets old , wears thin and this is the end result no matter how much you bitch other wise. IN OTHER WORDS , the clock ran out, and time was up. The freaking states had years and years to avoid this and did nothing or not enough. Whats hidden in the dark eventually comes to light. It’s hilarious that somehow people didn’t see this coming for years. I knew it was . Sometimes you gotta pull your head out of sand or your ass and realize what’s happening.
Old 05-29-2022, 12:35 AM   #49
GO FAST AND WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If the current purses at the bigger tracks aren't enough to get more owners, I don't know what the answer is. Places like Oaklawn, New York, and Kentucky are absolutely through the roof. There are obviously some deeper, complicated issues.

I can't attest to all places but in the ones that I've seen first hand where purses are raised the cost of almost everything there gets jacked up once purses increase so is the percentage of owners breaking even or making money increasing significantly? Sadly, no. With the widespread rampant cheating, bad publicity, and BS politics involved in the game on top of the low% chance of being profitable do we really have to wonder why the sport has trouble attracting new pockets and growing the game and also keeping all the existing ones in it?
GO FAST AND WIN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2022, 06:21 PM   #50
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

The best way to attract new owners is to improve the sport’s image. Say I’m middle-aged and have been successful in my life and want to start owning race horses. I announce this to my family and my teenage daughter says “eeewwww.” So that idea goes down the drain. What’s needed is more investigations like the FBI did that got rid of Servis and Navarro. But those cost millions of dollars and took years. Where is that kind of money going to come from?
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2022, 10:27 PM   #51
BIG49010

Does anyone know if this will be a public database of all the drugs, therapies, treatments, vet work, etc etc etc which is what is supposed to be supplied by the trainer for each day a horse is in his care?

If it is public, won't it pretty much end the claiming race?
Old 05-31-2022, 12:08 AM   #52
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post
Does anyone know if this will be a public database of all the drugs, therapies, treatments, vet work, etc etc etc which is what is supposed to be supplied by the trainer for each day a horse is in his care?

If it is public, won't it pretty much end the claiming race?
Not sure I get your drift. Seems like it would make it easier to know which horses to claim. Am I missing something?
Old 05-31-2022, 01:51 PM   #53
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post

Initially, federal oversight will mandate only that complete vet and training records on a claimed horses be turned over to the new connections along with the animal.

A comprehensive data-base, however, making public all shockwave and injection therapy could be in the works.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2022, 09:07 PM   #54
hogoffate

Texas racing is a clown show. The overall product isn't great. But the lunacy of it all is the politics of it all. State legislature would rather have 100% of 0 as opposed to ___ % of millions from ADW.

The most insane part of Texas racing was during the pandemic was when racing resumed at Lone Star Park yet fans were not allowed on site. Mind you in Texas, the law states that the only way you can wager on a horse race (live or simulcast) is at the race track itself. SO we had live racing in Texas but Texans couldn't wager on the races so any handle was coming from customers from out of state. Can't make that craziness up.

Pretty frustrating for horseplayers in Texas.
hogoffate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-31-2022, 09:16 PM   #55
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
States should have handled their business. It isn't like it isn't known fact that things have been messed up for a LONG time.

While not a fan of Federal involvement...this could have all been avoided. Choices have consequences.
Not a fan of the feds either, but realistic enough to know that without their intervention Navarro and Servis would still be operating today.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #56
Robert Fischer
clean money

When you borrow five thousand from a bank and you can’t pay back, you’ve got a problem. When you borrow five million from a bank and you can’t pay back, they’ve got a problem.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:13 PM   #57
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Not a fan of the feds either, but realistic enough to know that without their intervention Navarro and Servis would still be operating today.
Can't argue with you. Inaction abounds.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:19 PM   #58
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Initially, federal oversight will mandate only that complete vet and training records on a claimed horses be turned over to the new connections along with the animal.

A comprehensive data-base, however, making public all shockwave and injection therapy could be in the works.
Just curious. When a horse gets claimed, do the new connections ever do an immediate drug test? I would assume they would keep this close to the vest, but maybe you might have heard something in this regard.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:57 PM   #59
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Just curious. When a horse gets claimed, do the new connections ever do an immediate drug test? I would assume they would keep this close to the vest, but maybe you might have heard something in this regard.
I believe that in some jurisdictions (e.g. Kentucky) claimed horses are automatically drug tested regardless of finish position.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #60
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
I believe that in some jurisdictions (e.g. Kentucky) claimed horses are automatically drug tested regardless of finish position.
Seems to me that the new trainer might want to know a wider array of substances and might want to confirm whether the jurisdiction test was legit.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: