Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #1
TheGarMan

A Humorous Look At Pimlico On A Rainy Preakness Day (Photos!)

Hey all! --

Just back from a few days in Baltimore, and the 144th running of the Preakness Stakes! - I suppose by now, everyone knows that it rained pretty hard .

And by now everyone probably knows that Pimlico is an aging structure that really shows its flaws when the weather turns poor. By all accounts, this is probably the "next to last" Preakness that will take place at the famed track.

I am sure some of you are wondering, "how bad can Pimlico be"? - Maybe you haven't been to Pimlico in a while. Or maybe you only watch on television, and wonder why all the talk of closing the old girl down, and taking the racing elsewhere? Well, then stand by, 'cause this thread is for you!

So, just to be clear, I have now been to about 9 Preakness days, and I always enjoy myself. This thread is (mostly) meant to be a humorous look at how an aging facility looks on its "biggest" day of the year. Obviously I don't blame the "boots on the ground" folks for anything you are about to see. The folks working at Pimlico are always kind and go out of their way to make sure everyone has a good time.

I suppose if you were looking for a scapegoat, one could blame the Stronach group, as they have pretty much given up trying to make sure paying customers have a good experience. It is painfully obvious that they simply no longer care. So big thanks to Frank and Belinda Stronach for everything!

Here is a little recap of our day, I even threw in a few photos for fun! -

Ok, so first right out of the box, we skirted the $65.00 on site Pimlico parking fee by parking in a nice young mans lawn just off Northern Parkway for $20.00 - - For those who are in the know, this is the "good side" of the track. Hell, I'm up $45.00 of wagering money just by parking the car!

Upon arriving at the main gate off Rogers Ave, we were told that due to the mud at the horse / infield crossing we would be "walking around" the facility to the back side of the clubhouse. (Essentially walking around the sketchy city block, instead of through the facility to get to our seats) The walk was almost exactly half a mile out of our way in the pouring rain. Not the best way to start the day, but hey, we are an easy going bunch!

As a change in policy this year, Pimlico now allows ZERO outside beverage to be brought into the facility. In years past we brought our own soda, and bottled water. Today it was collected at the gate in the name of security. This change was obviously met with some resistance by many longtime seat holders. I was aware of the change, so I willingly left my single bottle of water on the table and after a brief search & frisk, we all walked inside.

- We then made our way up to the 3rd floor to at least find our regular seats. I remind you , WE SIT INSIDE.. This isn't the grandstand area, this is the INSIDE OF THE BUILDING.. However, as we climbed higher, the temperature also climbed. By the time we arrived at our section, it was VERY WARM inside. Obviously they were not running the air conditioner. (Or it was broke?)

As we walked the third floor, it was nice to see that for its biggest day of the year, Pimlico added a nice new water feature for our viewing pleasure.

3rd floor water feature LOL.jpg

Yep, big ole roof leak right in the middle of the 3rd floor.. Oh well.. Walk around and keep going.

Upon reaching our section, and getting REALLY WARM! , I thought I would purchase my first beverage of the day (Now remember, we can't bring our own beverage in any longer) - My prefered choices were a bottled water for $5.00 , or a domestic draft beer for $9.00. I ask what kind of "draft" they have? The answer: "Sorry we don't have any draft, I know the sign says we do , but we don't have any" (Note to self) - If I ever get the chance to sell a draft beer for $9, I will damn sure make sure I have a truckload of it! -- Ok, so I'll take my first of many $5.00 bottles of water on the day. (For reference, domestic aluminum bottles were $11 or $12? A "mixed drink" was also $12.00 )

- Walking down into our section, we are again reminded of the intense storm outside. (This was in the seating walkway just above our regular seats) - So great to pay top dollar for such a pristine visual experience!

Row above ours (flooded).jpg

And what genius thought cardboard boxes were the best rain water receptacle? Could you imagine if this was your seating area? Yuk!

Ugh... We arrive in our actual seats just below, and sit in the "run off" of the leaking roof. The photo shows my friends boots. The rest of us dealt with puddles of water and semi-wet feet the rest of the day. Yep $140.00 a seat to sit in the water puddle. (I swear, you can't make this up!)

Water at our seats.jpg

So, we take a few moments to ponder the irony of our "water" situation. - (We can't bring it inside, but yet its falling from the ceiling and piling up under our feet)

- Ok, once settled we decide to get down to business and go place a few bets - I consult my trusty scribble sheet while waiting in a small line at the window. In an effort to double check the current odds, I glance at the TV feed directly behind the mutuals area, and I am greeted with the most amazing hi-def race feed I have ever seen...

Crappy TV 3rd floor.jpg

Folks, this isn't my camera acting up, this is the ACTUAL TV FEED in the 3rd floor wagering area. On the biggest day of the year. I could not even make out the odds, or any information. To be fair, there were other TV's down the way and some of those were better..

After struggling through a few races, and $5 water, and wet feet , we actually had a pretty good time. The scratches made the wagering sub par , but we made the most out of it - I did REALLY WELL on the Preakness Stakes (Race 13) , so it made the rest of the days "quirks" a little more manageable.

We walked around, and saw all sorts of crazy stuff - Between the mud and the aging facility, and the pretty girls there was always something to see.

Here is a view on the apron about 3:00 or so (pretty empty)

3 pm Capacity Crowd.jpg

So, I hope you appreciated my look inside the bowels of "Old Hilltop" -

Honestly, if you are a horseplayer and you don't mind:

* Long walks around Baltimore in the rain
* Sweating in your seat all day
* Wet feet
* Long lines
* 4 horse fields
* Crappy TV feed
* And finally, being overcharged for the exact item laying all over the floor..

Maybe the 145th Preakness might just be for you!

I'm sure we will see you there!

(This was meant to be funny, so lets try to keep the comments civil )

We really did have fun! We never once complained,and we WILL be back next year!

It might be a "dump" , but it is "our dump" and I will be there for what we assume will be the grand finale'

Last edited by TheGarMan; 05-21-2018 at 07:22 PM.
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
clicknow

Great post. I was highly entertained.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
Fred Mertz

Superior post, thanks for sharing.

p.s. In your second pic did you get the brunette's name and phone number?
Fred Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
GMB@BP

Great post...I am spoiled going to Del Mar and Santa Anita for the most part.

I would be very frustrated laying out all that cash for that experience. You are a good sport.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 11:27 PM   #5
098poi

Excellent post. I guess you need a good sense of humor for this situation. The water and the TV! (TV is classic.) I think you can buy used flat screen monitors for almost nothing but then they'd have to charge $10 for water.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #6
NJ Stinks

GarMan, I'm an older version of you. I went to the Preakness for the first time in 1969 and the last time in 1994. Not saying I never missed a year in that time but the track had a loyal fan in yours truly and I was bringing other players from NJ to play the races on both Friday and Saturday at Pimlico.

Two years I was in the infield but almost every other year I was in outside reserved seats in the extended grandstand. Seats were in "Section EE" for example or the "Concourse Reserved" as they call it today. The first time I bought reserved seats out there they cost $4 a seat. The last time in 1994 they were $36 each. So I guess you could say I'm a cheap so-and-so because $36 made me stay home. But that wasn't it all by itself.

First, people living on Greenspring Avenue in the '70's and early '80's charged me no more than $5 to park on their lawn. In the 1990's I was paying $20 and it was further away from the track. Then there was a slow decline in customer service. Somebody at Pimlico decided that for $36 I could clean the seat myself. Since nobody else had sat in it since the Preakness the year before, that was disgusting job all by itself. Then there was the simple act of opening the windows at the top of the sections in "Concourse Reserved". Open the windows even on the warmest days and it was pleasant. But then somebody in management decided it wasn't worth the effort or expense to open those windows once a year. The place became a sweatbox.

I guess the final straw was simulcasting. It just became a pain in the arse trying to play simulcasts on Preakness Day while at Pimlico. So I ditched the trip from Jersey and started reserving a table at the Terrace Restaurant at Delaware Park. We did that until the state of Delaware made the restaurant non-smoking. Now I usually play Preakness Day from home and think back to all those great spring days spent in Baltimore. I sometimes wonder if I just got old and that's why I could no longer handle the BS. But I don't think it was that as much as I just felt like it wasn't worth the money.

Anyway, that's my unhumorous story.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Ruffian1

What a great post.
Thanks so much. All that stuff brings back a ton of memories.
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #8
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post

Nope, I didn't get her number...

My wife (standing next to me) may not have found that amusing...
Old 05-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #9
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I would be very frustrated laying out all that cash for that experience. You are a good sport.
Yea, we are starting to feel that way a little...

I suppose the fact we all know "the end is near" for the old structure means we put up with more.

The rain made it worse than normal.

Pimlico is not unlike a neglected old horse. It's not her fault she was mistreated, not taken care of and will soon be abandoned.

I guess we all just want to spend the time there while we still can.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
GarMan, I'm an older version of you. I went to the Preakness for the first time in 1969 and the last time in 1994. Not saying I never missed a year in that time but the track had a loyal fan in yours truly and I was bringing other players from NJ to play the races on both Friday and Saturday at Pimlico.

Two years I was in the infield but almost every other year I was in outside reserved seats in the extended grandstand. Seats were in "Section EE" for example or the "Concourse Reserved" as they call it today. The first time I bought reserved seats out there they cost $4 a seat. The last time in 1994 they were $36 each. So I guess you could say I'm a cheap so-and-so because $36 made me stay home. But that wasn't it all by itself.

First, people living on Greenspring Avenue in the '70's and early '80's charged me no more than $5 to park on their lawn. In the 1990's I was paying $20 and it was further away from the track. Then there was a slow decline in customer service. Somebody at Pimlico decided that for $36 I could clean the seat myself. Since nobody else had sat in it since the Preakness the year before, that was disgusting job all by itself. Then there was the simple act of opening the windows at the top of the sections in "Concourse Reserved". Open the windows even on the warmest days and it was pleasant. But then somebody in management decided it wasn't worth the effort or expense to open those windows once a year. The place became a sweatbox.

I guess the final straw was simulcasting. It just became a pain in the arse trying to play simulcasts on Preakness Day while at Pimlico. So I ditched the trip from Jersey and started reserving a table at the Terrace Restaurant at Delaware Park. We did that until the state of Delaware made the restaurant non-smoking. Now I usually play Preakness Day from home and think back to all those great spring days spent in Baltimore. I sometimes wonder if I just got old and that's why I could no longer handle the BS. But I don't think it was that as much as I just felt like it wasn't worth the money.

Anyway, that's my unhumorous story.
If you attend an event like this, you really can't try to bet other tracks. That's very difficult to do at the Breeders' Cup too.

Indeed, it is sometimes hard to bet the live races.

You attend for the experience of attending. For the nice outfits and the roar of the crowd.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
If you attend an event like this, you really can't try to bet other tracks. That's very difficult to do at the Breeders' Cup too.

You attend for the experience of attending. For the nice outfits and the roar of the crowd.
I always bet online via tablet. Don't think I had much trouble at Pimlico last time I went (2016). Did the same at the BC the last two years as well without an issue.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Mertz View Post

jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
I hope you shoved your pics up their suggestion box.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #14
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip@DRF View Post
I hope you shoved your pics up their suggestion box.
"Suggestion Box" ? Thats funny. I do not believe they have anything like that at Pimlico. Honestly, the Stronach's simply don't care about us anymore.

They way I see it, they will need to figure out a way to cut Preakness attendance from about 140,000 (at Pimlico) down to $40,000 (at Laurel) in the next 2 -3 years. They can literally afford to have 100,000 get upset and jump ship and management not care.

Yet somehow, when the crowd roars, and the & came running out of the fog, all was well in the universe.

Last edited by TheGarMan; 05-22-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

At Churchill during Derby week simulcasting stops after their Wednesday card. "Thurby," Oaks and Derby are all Churchill races only. Not sure if Pimlico and Belmont follow suit for their Triple Crown days. Breeders Cup at Churchill will be restricted to wagering on only their live card as well.

Being a life long Kentuckian I've had to keep moving my Derby week experience back as their policies change and day to day attendance grows. Haven't been to a Derby in probably 15 years, the Oaks in 10 and even Thursdays are pretty much out.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: