Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
DerbyJackpot

Why is Aussie Racing So Much Better?

Just about 95% of Aussie races are amazing races to watch. Photo Finishes more likely than not.

Also give them props for racing right at post time. They start loading horses in gate with 1 minute to post.

But why is the quality of racing in Aussie so much better than American racing?
DerbyJackpot is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 11:01 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

It's not.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
davew

because they run on sheep pastures?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
Denny
Veteran

Biggest cheats in the world, Down Under.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #5
plainolebill

I've been to tracks in oz, the racing isn't better.
plainolebill is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyJackpot View Post
Just about 95% of Aussie races are amazing races to watch. Photo Finishes more likely than not.

Also give them props for racing right at post time. They start loading horses in gate with 1 minute to post.

I don't think the racing is better although it is nice to see big fields. The closer finishes are due to it being run on grass.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Quesmark

Quote:

Different not better.
Scheduling in Oz is certainly crisper,post time normally is post time if there's no valid reason to hold up a start,loads are quick and runners go on their way,but having way fewer tracks running,and coordination between them makes that possible.
Quesmark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
thaskalos

IMO...Aussie racing is only better when it comes to the sizes of the respective fields of the two countries. It sickens me when I see what the late scratches have done to the weekday racing in this country. Our fields start out with 7-8 horses in order to appear "legitimate", and then the obligatory two late scratches reduce the fields down to 5 or 6...without even a cloud in the sky.

And this happens in New York -- where the purses have skyrocketed -- more than it happens anyplace else.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes. Purses are far too high for the product.
Our racing is no the problem, the lack of it is what sucks.

I'm listening to the TV whine about Justify running 5 races in 90 days. Wimps.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
BCOURTNEY

Quote:

Field Size
No track competitive race schedule
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #11
maliksealy210

From a betting perspective its probably 75% of what I bet these days (if I was on the East Coast it wouldn't be the case). The horses and racing isn't better, and if you think you see bonehead moves by jocks in the states, you'll see three jockeys lose a race in a 14 horse field on a midweek country meet in Australia. The field size and the poor quality of the easy to find information for the casual US bettor, is why I spend my time on it. Soon enough, this won't be an advantage I have. But enjoying it while I can.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #12
Hanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maliksealy210 View Post
From a betting perspective its probably 75% of what I bet these days (if I was on the East Coast it wouldn't be the case). The horses and racing isn't better, and if you think you see bonehead moves by jocks in the states, you'll see three jockeys lose a race in a 14 horse field on a midweek country meet in Australia. The field size and the poor quality of the easy to find information for the casual US bettor, is why I spend my time on it. Soon enough, this won't be an advantage I have. But enjoying it while I can.
I am up late many nights, and I wish I had more information about the races over there. Don't think HDW even has it as an option lol
Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #13
maliksealy210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger View Post
I am up late many nights, and I wish I had more information about the races over there. Don't think HDW even has it as an option lol
Right now it takes about twice as long for me as it would to handicap a B or C level track in the US. You have to take different information that is available from three majors sources and kind of put it together. The place where you can get the fractional "style" charts (I say that because they provide similar information to what we have in the US, but are just presented differently) is not the same place where you can see the last 20 running lines, which is not the same place that provides the video for the barrier trials.

There are places where they all exist in the same spot, but they are behind paywalls requiring you to be in AUS dollars with an AUS credit card and an AUS address. I can still make my figures and charts for free, which is an added bonus (not that I don't mind paying for content, I have a TimeFormUS subscription, for example).
Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #14
steveb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quesmark View Post
Different not better.
Scheduling in Oz is certainly crisper,post time normally is post time if there's no valid reason to hold up a start,loads are quick and runners go on their way,but having way fewer tracks running,and coordination between them makes that possible.

dunno how many track in usa but i would be surprised if it's much more than over here.
on any day there might be 20 or 30 meetings on, at a guess.

https://www.racenet.com.au/tracks

obviously you guys don't get western australian races over there, or you would know the starters are too scared to press the 'go' button!

it normally takes an eternity to get them going there.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #15
maliksealy210

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
dunno how many track in usa but i would be surprised if it's much more than over here.
on any day there might be 20 or 30 meetings on, at a guess.

https://www.racenet.com.au/tracks

obviously you guys don't get western australian races over there, or you would know the starters are too scared to press the 'go' button!

it normally takes an eternity to get them going there.
At most we get 5 tracks - we are at a max of four tracks unless Melbourne Racing Club has a meeting ongoing.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: