Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #1
MadVindication

Anyone bet Australia? (Thoroughbred)

Reasons why you like/don't like betting Australia? What tracks do you like/dislike?

I was watching some replays (Mackay) and saw they sure have a a wide array of odds. Looks like fun tho a bit like spitting in the wind. Quite a few long shots each race, 20-1 to 80-1.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
thaskalos

With foreign racing getting as popular as it is with our ADWs in this country...it's a shock to me that we still have no "Americanized" past performances for this new gambling endeavor. Do our ADWs expect us to bet major money on these races in the DARK?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
With foreign racing getting as popular as it is with our ADWs in this country...it's a shock to me that we still have no "Americanized" past performances for this new gambling endeavor. Do our ADWs expect us to bet major money on these races in the DARK?
yes.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
MadVindication

Quote:
So it's basically an overseas dart board at this point.

Trips me up that they "run backwards" too
Old 05-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
clicknow

Quote:
With foreign racing getting as popular as it is with our ADWs in this country...it's a shock to me that we still have no "Americanized" past performances for this new gambling endeavor.
Are you asking "how do you cap horses and races w/out speed figures and workouts?"

What do you mean by "in the dark"?

You can keep a racebook, learn the track configurations, which ones run counter and clockwise, how the race conditions are written, tightness of turns, learn trainer/jockey combos and colonies, how horses do coming off AW versus turf, who is on way up class ladder, watch replays of prior races, what preferences the horse has, etc.

Anybody just using mostly speed figures never solidly beat this game so maybe better to discuss othere stuff. I have found great benefit wagering in jurisdictions that have a centralized authority like Aus, JAP, HK.

You speak of "in the dark" wagering.....that would be not being able to cap the drugs and injuries that aren't in a database for the bettor to see.....i.e. U.S. racing.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-14-2018 at 05:09 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Even the hong kong pp's they give away are pitiful.

Not sure if its by design or just plain ineptness.

how hard would it be to massage some of the copious data HK produces in the the same codebase they use for US pp's. Instead , they produce something that looks like its from 1950

Last edited by AltonKelsey; 05-14-2018 at 05:18 PM.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

Anybody just using mostly speed figures never solidly beat this game so maybe better to discuss othere stuff. I have found great benefit wagering in jurisdictions that have a centralized authority like Aus, JAP, HK.
So how do you find records of reported injuries for Australia? And are you saying you think the regulations in overseas racing create fairer betting conditions?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
chiguy

The key to Australian racing is usually a few things.

• Track condition. Horses like some better than others and generally run to what they like. Good, Soft and Heavy are the three main conditions of the tracks and there are a few grades within each one. So you may see a Good4 or a Heavy10 etc.
  • Distance. Much like horses here, horses like a particular distances more than others. Nothing earth shattering here.
  • Track Record - This is THE most important thing I have found in Australian racing. Each racetrack there is unique. If a horse runs well there and is not making some huge class rise they will run well. If they have a bad record at that track, they will run bad. It is the ultimate horses for courses scenario.
  • Stay away from Maiden races. We generally don't have enough information regarding trainers and their intentions.
There is a great website called racenet.au They also have an app you can download on your phone. Great information on this app, quite unbelievable to be honest with you. Puts TVG and other ADW apps to shame. Check it out.

.20 supers are fun to play there, at least once each night you will see one that pays three out of four. One last night was x-x-x-all for $1048. I believe they also have .20 pick threes and fours.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
So how do you find records of reported injuries for Australia? And are you saying you think the regulations in overseas racing create fairer betting conditions?
HK, not aussie. good database re: vet records. Bettors do have a right to know, can't figure out why they don't realize that here and at EVERY track though.

Aussie does have big fields though at many of the tracks. I do enjoy big fields, can get some pretty nice paying exactas.

I keep my racebook over on racenet. So I know when horses I like are racing.

I also like the simulcasts out of HK and Japan. You really get to see each horse, and for quite enough time to evaluate their conformation, and there aren't sheds and bushes or commpanion ponies in the way, the camera work is VERY GOOD.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-14-2018 at 06:15 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Are you asking "how do you cap horses and races w/out speed figures and workouts?"

What do you mean by "in the dark"?

You can keep a racebook, learn the track configurations, which ones run counter and clockwise, how the race conditions are written, tightness of turns, learn trainer/jockey combos and colonies, how horses do coming off AW versus turf, who is on way up class ladder, watch replays of prior races, what preferences the horse has, etc.

You speak of "in the dark" wagering.....that would be not being able to cap the drugs and injuries that aren't in a database for the bettor to see.....i.e. U.S. racing.
IMO...handicapping without fractional times and length-behind information is the equivalent of the "dark ages" of the handicapping era.

I congratulate you on your success while wagering on these foreign racing jurisdictions, but I wouldn't bet even a thin dime without the detailed past performances that I've gotten used to in this country. The abbreviated PPs that are now available for foreign racing aren't even on par with the sketchy PPs that we had in this country 50 years ago...and I want no part of that sort of game. My hat goes off to guys like you and Nitro, for managing to beat that type of game...but it clearly isn't for me.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #11
steveb

Quote:
IMO...handicapping without fractional times and length-behind information is the equivalent of the "dark ages" of the handicapping era.

I congratulate you on your success while wagering on these foreign racing jurisdictions, but I wouldn't bet even a thin dime without the detailed past performances that I've gotten used to in this country. The abbreviated PPs that are now available for foreign racing aren't even on par with the sketchy PPs that we had in this country 50 years ago...and I want no part of that sort of game. My hat goes off to guys like you and Nitro, for managing to beat that type of game...but it clearly isn't for me.
there is a zillion places to ge that sort of info in australia, you just need to know from where.
the below link is handy spot although i don't know how up to date it is

http://www.trackdata.com.au/

personally, i would not bet australia, because imo it's as corrupt as.

lengths behind winner should go the way of the dodo because it's worthless(certainly in aust. anyway)
that is a function of time, so your margin depends on the conversion factor used.
one joint will use .16s per length, another might use .17 and yet another might use .15.
thus the margin WILL depend on the conversion factor used, and in my country it's all over the shop.
imo if you are using margins.....then YOU are still in the 'dark ages'.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

IF you have different time values of a length at different place, I can't see any sense in even trying to make a bet.

That models needs major improvement to get to the Dark Ages.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #13
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
there is a zillion places to ge that sort of info in australia, you just need to know from where.
the below link is handy spot although i don't know how up to date it is

http://www.trackdata.com.au/
This website is no longer active.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
steveb

Quote:
This website is no longer active.
if it's up top date i don't know, but it does have recent stuff there.
it's certainly active though, as i tested it before i made my previous post.
maybe something to do with where you are?
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
lengths behind winner should go the way of the dodo because it's worthless(certainly in aust. anyway)
that is a function of time, so your margin depends on the conversion factor used.
one joint will use .16s per length, another might use .17 and yet another might use .15.
thus the margin WILL depend on the conversion factor used, and in my country it's all over the shop.
imo if you are using margins.....then YOU are still in the 'dark ages'.
At least I'm "enlightened" enough not to be recommending dead websites.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: