Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-18-2023, 05:45 PM   #1
Light
Veteran

Fox pays Dominion $787.5 million for lying

From article:

Fox has agreed to pay $787.5 million dollars, approximately half of the amount sought by Dominion in the case. And we expect the terms of the settlement will not require Fox News hosts to publicly apologize to viewers for spreading lies and falsehoods about the 2020 presidential election.

Don't expect Tucker Carlson and pals to apologize.

It’s worth remembering that Dominion’s lawsuit is not the only one filed against Fox News for spreading lies about the 2020 election. Smartmatic, another voting technology company, has sued Fox for $2.7 billion.

https://www.msnbc.com/news/live-blog...ates-rcna79313
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2023, 06:21 PM   #2
lamboguy

this is the biggest settlement in the history of the media in the USA.

the lawyers took down close to $300 million on this score, that is one big handout.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Like I said all along...this case would never see a jury.

And if we actually had competent / non-politically-biased judges, it would have been thrown out at the start.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:27 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

And CNN never lied? NOBODY IS STUPID ENOUGH TO BELIEVE THAT, other than mostpost.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM   #5
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
And CNN never lied? NOBODY IS STUPID ENOUGH TO BELIEVE THAT, other than mostpost.
They've lied endlessly on a long list of things, but they are a subsidiary of the deep state. So they get away with it.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:41 PM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I love how opinion show hosts commenting on what the President of the USA and his minions have stated counts as "making up lies"

How can any news organization be liable for reporting and/or commenting on what POTUS, his staff, his employees, his lawyers, his whatever...say in public about another company?

Even if they believe it's true and state that belief. Even if they privately believe it's false but publicly state that they BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE...what does any of this matter?

I thought we had freedom of speech and freedom of the press?

Now the press can't report or comment on what POTUS says or thinks or any one of his lawyers says or thinks? They can't say whether or not they think the allegations are true?

How exactly did this case get this far again?

Someone please explain. And try to do so objectively...that would help.

I know the usual folks will come back with Tucker blah or Maria blah or whatever other personality on there blah blah blah...and not really answer the question, so this is basically a waste of my time...but I'm gonna try one more time.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:28 PM   #7
myohmyjustify

The case got this far because Donald Trump did not go away and shut up in the last 2-3 years as both the media and the political establishment thought or hoped would happen.

To make matters worse, Trump's popularity, approval and stature has grown since the Big Election Steal of 2020 -- again, against the simpleton, conventional and collective thinking of big government, big media and big business -- and the idiot Never Trumpers and hate America liberal Democrats.

Trump HAS to be stopped for he's the only one between freedom and totalitarians here and abroad. This trial and the lawless indictments are examples of this.

The reason for the settlement is also rather easy to 'splain away.

Fox Corp. was afraid the Biden DOJ will go after them also if the case dragged on. A case that would have shown the altering of the Dominion machines' algorithms in many states, adding to these dubious votes in places like Pennsylvania, Georgia and Arizona; and, it would also have shown that the votes were sitting on servers that were domiciled in foreign countries.

Since our media companies cannot operate without the oversight and licensing of the Federal Government, Fox found it best to make this trial end by paying big bucks to the shake down.

Big government and big business won, as did the lawyers.

In the end American sovereignty was lost, Americans lost another freedom, one of our most important rights. The 2020 election was stolen and this is the final undoing of the Great Experiment called the United States of America, (RIP 1776-2023).

Last edited by myohmyjustify; 04-18-2023 at 11:29 PM.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2023, 01:07 AM   #8
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I love how opinion show hosts commenting on what the President of the USA and his minions have stated counts as "making up lies"

How can any news organization be liable for reporting and/or commenting on what POTUS, his staff, his employees, his lawyers, his whatever...say in public about another company?

Even if they believe it's true and state that belief. Even if they privately believe it's false but publicly state that they BELIEVE IT TO BE TRUE...what does any of this matter?

I thought we had freedom of speech and freedom of the press?

Now the press can't report or comment on what POTUS says or thinks or any one of his lawyers says or thinks? They can't say whether or not they think the allegations are true?

How exactly did this case get this far again?

Someone please explain. And try to do so objectively...that would help.

I know the usual folks will come back with Tucker blah or Maria blah or whatever other personality on there blah blah blah...and not really answer the question, so this is basically a waste of my time...but I'm gonna try one more time.
Maybe Fox's lawyers know the meaning of DEFAMATION and you don't.

Fox conceded. No trial, no Judge. What part of "concede" makes you believe it was a judges fault? Nobody twisted Fox's hand. They could have went to trial. You think Fox's lawyers are stupider than you to shell out $787.5 Million like pocket change?

An opinion is not presented as fact. It's scope is limited to the one person who says it.

But Fox presented the Dominion voting machines switching votes to Biden from Trump as facts. It's scope is to millions of voters.

And its egregious and malicious when you don't have the facts to back up your claim.

As far as freedom of speech, you can't yell fire in a crowded theater. And you can't accuse a company of subverting a presidential election as an "opinion".
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2023, 02:59 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
But Fox presented the Dominion voting machines switching votes to Biden from Trump as facts.
Curiously...not you...or anyone else...has posted video evidence of this occurring.

Surely it must be on YouTube.

I'm still waiting to see it...from Maria...or Tucker...or anyone else really...even the guy they fired.

Please show me the evidence where someone on Fox presented Dominion voting machines switching votes to Biden from Trump as FACTS.

As in...this definitely happened...not...I think this happened and Trump is right kind of thing.

I've been waiting for months now for someone to do this...even the guy who loves to post tweets here, who is kind of named after a starting gate....hasn't done this...and it must be out there (at least something YOU THINK represents this).

You can sue someone for anything you want.

And that someone can settle even if they think they could win in a fair courtroom.

But, considering this was taking place in NYC...getting a fair trial there for Fox News is 100% out of the question...so...I guess they thought paying around half the asking price was worth it in the end.

I'm surprised Dominion, with its (according to you) IRONCLAD case...settled...

Why did they settle? Why didn't they want another 1/2 billion or so? They don't like easy money?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-19-2023 at 03:05 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2023, 03:09 AM   #10
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

ps. the old "you can't yell fire in a crowded movie theater" is actual bullshit

look it up
Old 04-19-2023, 09:19 AM   #11
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Of course they have lied. Nick Sandmann got money from them
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2023, 09:26 AM   #12
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Curiously...not you...or anyone else...has posted video evidence of this occurring.

Surely it must be on YouTube.

I'm still waiting to see it...from Maria...or Tucker...or anyone else really...even the guy they fired.

Please show me the evidence where someone on Fox presented Dominion voting machines switching votes to Biden from Trump as FACTS.

As in...this definitely happened...not...I think this happened and Trump is right kind of thing.

I've been waiting for months now for someone to do this...even the guy who loves to post tweets here, who is kind of named after a starting gate....hasn't done this...and it must be out there (at least something YOU THINK represents this).

You can sue someone for anything you want.

And that someone can settle even if they think they could win in a fair courtroom.

But, considering this was taking place in NYC...getting a fair trial there for Fox News is 100% out of the question...so...I guess they thought paying around half the asking price was worth it in the end.

I'm surprised Dominion, with its (according to you) IRONCLAD case...settled...

Why did they settle? Why didn't they want another 1/2 billion or so? They don't like easy money?
Pirro and Dobbs actually said it.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/media...ons/index.html

They settled because you never know what can happen in court, never mind all the costs of going through a trial and the time it would take. Good deal for both although FOX loses all credibility.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2023, 09:44 AM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
Pirro and Dobbs actually said it.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/17/media...ons/index.html

They settled because you never know what can happen in court, never mind all the costs of going through a trial and the time it would take. Good deal for both although FOX loses all credibility.
OK

Taking your link:

1) Powell doesn't work for Fox news.

2) Giuliani doesn't work for Fox news.

3) Powell doesn't work for Fox news.

4) Dobbs tweeting on his personal account. No specific allegation against Dominion either I might add...worded in a way that any competent lawyer could defend easily in a court of law. But the main point is...he wrote this on twitter on his personal account. And he was FIRED, by the way.

5) See #1

6) See #1

7) See #1

8) See #1

9) See #2

10) See #1

11) Pirro talking about what TRUMP'S LAWYERS are alleging (and she used the actual word ALLEGING)...why is this even included in the list?

12) See #1 and Dobbs never states something as FACT...plus he was fired

13) See #1

14) See #1

15) Dobbs never alleges anything himself and is talking with a guest who is making allegations...a guest who isn't an employee of Fox News.

16) See #4. And Dobbs was fired

17) Dobbs never mentions a specific allegation or Dominion at all. Plus he was fired. Just a general vague quote about "evidence" from Powell.

18) See #4...plus saying there is evidence is not the same as saying something is fact

19) See #2

20) Mike Lindell doesn't work for Fox News. Claims he has evidence. Dares Dominion to sue him on air. Why is this even included? Mike Lindell is certainly a public figure. Tucker Carlson isn't allowed to interview him?

So there you have it...how this case ever got as far as it did is insane. It should have been thrown out on day 1 based on the above.

Sue the various individuals who weren't FOX NEWS employees? Yes, definitely...definitely a valid defamation lawsuit there.

Sue FOX NEWS for allowing all of these VERY PUBLIC individuals and/or President of the UNITED FUCKING STATES lawyers to come on their airwaves?

How insane is that? Imagine freedom of the press and freedom of speech PREVENTING a news company from allowing lawyers working for the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FUCKING STATES to appear on their airwaves?

Imagine.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-19-2023 at 09:48 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2023, 11:05 AM   #14
davew

first amendment be damned, finally we can sue CBS and 60 minutes for election tampering with their LIES

davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2023, 11:10 AM   #15
lamboguy

the only reason why Dominion got all this money is that they got Hall of fame attorneys
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply