Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-03-2023, 08:12 PM   #31
jimmyb

Karen Campbell: Powerlifting Grandma

Karen Campbell lives in Maine, is a mail carrier for the USPS, and is the proud grandmother of seven grandchildren. Oh, and she can bench press more than 500 pounds and deadlift just as much.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kar...ifting-grandma
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2023, 08:23 PM   #32
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I had women beat me at miniature golf and candle pin bowling.

Saw a woman in her 50's bench press over 500 pounds, she weighed 180 pounds. Another young lady bench pressed 300 ponds at 123 body weight. These were biological women. Some incredibly strong ladies out there.

Trust me as someone who used to power lift and won a couple medals in competition, those women were not clean, probably on both male hormones and steroids. If you have a link to their interviews I bet they don't have feminine voices. I have been to many a power lifting gym and the strongest medium to large size clean woman I knew could not come close to doubling her body weight on the bench. I and the people I trained with were clean, we could spot a cheater a mile away. Large upper trapezius muscles are one of the tell tale signs of a cheater.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2023, 08:30 PM   #33
Inner Dirt

I had to stop power lifting due to a spinal fusion 25 years ago. I just did some research. The woman was not bench pressing on old school equipment and methods. Single ply bench pressing gives assistance, I had no idea such thing existed. See did 512, at 198 pounds and as I read it that method adds 100# strength. So even going old school she doubles her weight.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:38 PM   #34
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Trust me as someone who used to power lift and won a couple medals in competition, those women were not clean, probably on both male hormones and steroids. If you have a link to their interviews I bet they don't have feminine voices. I have been to many a power lifting gym and the strongest medium to large size clean woman I knew could not come close to doubling her body weight on the bench. I and the people I trained with were clean, we could spot a cheater a mile away. Large upper trapezius muscles are one of the tell tale signs of a cheater.
she is constantly drug tested. Anytime she sets a world record, she gets tested and has never failed a test. I know her, have spoken with her, and gave her a hug last time I saw her. karen is very sweet, and has a soft spoken feminine voice.

I've been a competitive powerlifter since my late '20s. Own state records in the bench press and the deadlift. have a meet coming up july 8th at 69 years young. My body weight has been 180 since the early '80's. My best lifts were in my 30's.... 450 squat, 225 bench, 535 deadlift. all at drug tested meets.

Assure you I've lost some off my fastball. currently at 285 pound squat, 205 pound bench press and a 390 deadlift. looking at July, my goals are ... squat 300, 225 pound bench and a 400 pound deadlift. meet is drug tested.
Old 04-03-2023, 08:49 PM   #35
jimmyb

Jimmy B

395172_10200754905948109_225141138_n.jpg
Old 04-03-2023, 08:56 PM   #36
Inner Dirt

Quote:
she is constantly drug tested. Anytime she sets a world record, she gets tested and has never failed a test. I know her, have spoken with her, and gave her a hug last time I saw her. karen is very sweet, and has a soft spoken feminine voice.

I've been a competitive powerlifter since my late '20s. Own state records in the bench press and the deadlift. have a meet coming up july 8th at 69 years young. My body weight has been 180 since the early '80's. My best lifts were in my 30's.... 450 squat, 225 bench, 535 deadlift. all at drug tested meets.

Assure you I've lost some off my fastball. currently at 285 pound squat, 205 pound bench press and a 390 deadlift. looking at July, my goals are ... squat 300, 225 pound bench and a 400 pound deadlift. meet is drug tested.

I will eat 1/2 my words, I had no idea of the single ply bench press. Because of my fused spine the amount I can lift without pain or legs going numb is nothing now, grocery shopping can be painful. Old school benching with a pause after you bring it down to your chest and no back arching 470#, seated military press 285#, clean and jerk 335#. I was mostly into football and boxing but entered some weightlifting events and competed at 220#. That was in the late 70's, before a bad back injury at 18. On the clean and jerk I had poor technique and it was an accident doing that lift which fractured two back bones and eventually led to the spinal fusion.

Good for you power-lifting in your late 60's, I had to hang it up at 38 when I had my lower spine bolted together.
Old 04-03-2023, 09:15 PM   #37
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I will eat 1/2 my words, I had no idea of the single ply bench press. Because of my fused spine the amount I can lift without pain or legs going numb is nothing now, grocery shopping can be painful. Old school benching with a pause after you bring it down to your chest and no back arching 470#, seated military press 285#, clean and jerk 335#. I was mostly into football and boxing but entered some weightlifting events and competed at 220#. That was in the late 70's, before a bad back injury at 18. On the clean and jerk I had poor technique and it was an accident doing that lift which fractured two back bones and eventually led to the spinal fusion.

Good for you power-lifting in your late 60's, I had to hang it up at 38 when I had my lower spine bolted together.

My back hurts reading that. Tremendous lifts for you, or anyone for that matter. lot of weight there.

I still love to watch Alexiev on youtube as much as i did when watching him on wide world of sports in my younger days. amazing lifter.

i compete raw, which is to say no single ply bench shirt or squat suit. An unsupportive singlet is all. I have special shoes i use for squats and still wrap my knees and wrists. Gotta protect the joints.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:53 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

Quote:
My back hurts reading that. Tremendous lifts for you, or anyone for that matter. lot of weight there.

I still love to watch Alexiev on youtube as much as i did when watching him on wide world of sports in my younger days. amazing lifter.

i compete raw, which is to say no single ply bench shirt or squat suit. An unsupportive singlet is all. I have special shoes i use for squats and still wrap my knees and wrists. Gotta protect the joints.

I remember Vasily Alekseyev, even though at 62, I am younger than you. He obviously was not a cheater. All signs point to him not cheating when in that era is when it started. Sorry about myself thinking your female friend was cheating as I did not know the rules for benching had changed. I thought I used to work out with the pound for pound strongest clean female.

I went back and forth from hitting the gym full of serious athletes and competitive lifters and the family fitness gyms. At the family fitness type places Lynn would ask to work in with average strength males, when she asked for more weight and did multiple reps easily, the guys would scatter, and the bench was ours. Those were the days. Now if I pick up a 60# bag of cement my legs start going numb and I can't walk very far with it.
Old 04-04-2023, 12:08 AM   #39
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Football coach told me to go outside as my clean and jerk practice could hurt someone, so I went and did it in the grass. My plant foot managed to collapse a gopher hole, I ended up twisting sideways as I tried to clean 355.
At least back in that day you could get help for pain. That caused issues with my dad as he had a lawyer who said I could win a huge lawsuit. I just said it was a freak accident, my dad always threw it in my face that I did not sue. With everything that has happened to me, I am fortunate to walk upright.
I still envy those that can do things in their 60's I can no longer do.
Old 04-04-2023, 01:29 AM   #40
proximity

Quote:

good luck in this meet jimmy. that is great.

i have a friend that used to be competitive with one of the westside guys in the deadlift iirc? maybe vogelpohl? although looking back at the listed records, vogelpohl was usually bigger, deadlifting more, and had more dots (?). i will have to check again?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #41
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2023, 11:46 AM   #42
Inner Dirt

I thought the transgender freak teaming with those brands was a joke because it was posted on April fools day, I guess not??? Tampons were even on the list.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:41 PM   #43
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2023, 03:08 PM   #44
Inner Dirt

Quote:

That picture makes my legs go numb and I collapse. Good for you, and I won't be a hypocrite and say you should know better and not put that kind of downward pressure on a spine that is decades past it's prime. I admire you.
I have to vicariously live through those that do things I cannot at an advanced age, due to my reckless youth.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:58 PM   #45
chrisl

Quote:
Very impressive. Well calculated and blessed life. Good genes. Sports and work have destroyed my body. Inspiration to all. Keep up the great work.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply