Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
cnollfan

pick 5 carryovers

If a track offers two pick 5s a day and there is a carryover, how is it determined whether the carryover applies to the early pick 5 or the late pick 5?
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2023, 06:10 PM   #2
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnollfan View Post
If a track offers two pick 5s a day and there is a carryover, how is it determined whether the carryover applies to the early pick 5 or the late pick 5?
Use common sense. Even if they don't overlap, it wouldn't go Early to Late, as that wouldn't be fair to the many customers that wouldn't even know, and it also would be to the detriment of the host track. If it's not going Early to Late, it wouldn't go Late to Early. However, it's written in the rules, and none that I know of go to the different one.

The Early at Gulfstream doesn't carry, but pays to the most winners, as does Oaklawn. The Late at Gulfstream can carry. Just how they wrote the rules ( foolishly IMO ).
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2023, 07:03 PM   #3
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Use common sense. Even if they don't overlap, it wouldn't go Early to Late, as that wouldn't be fair to the many customers that wouldn't even know, and it also would be to the detriment of the host track. If it's not going Early to Late, it wouldn't go Late to Early. However, it's written in the rules, and none that I know of go to the different one.

The Early at Gulfstream doesn't carry, but pays to the most winners, as does Oaklawn. The Late at Gulfstream can carry. Just how they wrote the rules ( foolishly IMO ).
Sam Houston (for one) - which most of us are currently not able to wager on - does it a little differently per their website:

Quote:
Pick 5: Offered on the last five (5) races. When an “Early Pick 5” is offered, any carryover amount from the Early Pick 5 will be moved into the Late Pick 5
It also appears per their posted rules that any carryover on a pick 5 goes into the very next pick 5 (under the pick 5 rules further down).

https://www.shrp.com/plan-your-visit/wagering-101

Since it's a TRC rule, it would also apply at Lone Star.

Then again, we are getting used to seeing the Texas Racing Commission do things differently, and not necessarily in line with common sense.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2023, 09:24 PM   #4
cnollfan

At Turfway on Saturday 2/4 nobody hit the early pick 5. The carryover was to the late pick 5 on Wednesday 2/8.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:15 PM   #5
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

"Common sense" doesn't matter when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Since when does "Fairness" have anything to do with people not knowing about a carryover?
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2023, 10:23 PM   #6
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
"Common sense" doesn't matter when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Since when does "Fairness" have anything to do with people not knowing about a carryover?
It can't be easy being you.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Lightbulb

by the way; There is an early Pick-5 carryover of $285,000 Friday, Aqueduct.

as far as each track's different carryover process = I don't know. That is outside my circle of competence. If I answered, I'd just be guessing.

I'd try google, tweeting and contacting track handicappers/etc..
good luck

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-14-2023 at 09:01 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2023, 02:41 PM   #8
cnollfan

I have now read that at Turfway, the Pick 5 carryover is always to the next day's late Pick 5, regardless of whether it carried from the early Pick 5 or the late Pick 5.