Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
MonmouthParkJoe

Rillito Park Opening Weekend!

Yes, I know most of you have been on the edge of your seat waiting for this

Opening day is this Saturday and runs weekends through March 19th, with two Friday "dusk" cards on March 3rd and 17th.

We should be in more outlets since I have pitched to a number of companies. Most notably NY Otbs will be taking us, along with plenty of others. If anyone on here plans on making the trip, please let me know. What we lack in racing quality we make up for with a good time. Also cool to see so many students here involved in just about every aspect of the track.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
johnhannibalsmith

I was so excited that we claimed a veteran of the stakes ranks there a while ago to bring down for a last hurrah before kicking him out for good. But alas, the old owner had the same plan and took him back the next time in order to have the same fun.

Figured I could really shock you and get the ball rolling with a non-fiction of account of an honest-to-goodness mini-claim battle over taking a horse that is nearly too old to even legally run down to the fun big show.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
Yes, I know most of you have been on the edge of your seat waiting for this

Opening day is this Saturday and runs weekends through March 19th, with two Friday "dusk" cards on March 3rd and 17th.

We should be in more outlets since I have pitched to a number of companies. Most notably NY Otbs will be taking us, along with plenty of others. If anyone on here plans on making the trip, please let me know. What we lack in racing quality we make up for with a good time. Also cool to see so many students here involved in just about every aspect of the track.
I don't know if you go back this far, but who was the track announcer in 1989? That guy was really good .
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #4
MonmouthParkJoe

Def not that far back. My second and final year doing this before moving on. The track announcer this year is Mike James.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:54 AM   #5
TucsonGreyhound

Joe,

I just want you to know that you are doing the Lord's work down there in Arizona. I am not from Arizona (not even close), but I graduated from the UofA while taking a couple classes in the RTIP program on the side. I have great memories of hitting up TGP with my fraternity brothers as a college student in the late 90's.

I really wish I could fly to Arizona this weekend to play some golf, hit up Rillito Park and meet you and certainly buy you a round or three.

-TGP
TucsonGreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Rillito--the speediest of the speed-biased tracks in the world. Where 5.5F is considered a "route" Love it!

Let me take my shot at the double today:

7TH TRUCO LATINO 5/2

8TH I'LL WEAR WHITE 4-1

Good luck boys

-NCG

In case you don't happen to be familiar with speed biased Rillito:

Attached Images
File Type: png speed bias 5.5.PNG (29.8 KB, 108 views)
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonGreyhound
Joe,

I just want you to know that you are doing the Lord's work down there in Arizona. I am not from Arizona (not even close), but I graduated from the UofA while taking a couple classes in the RTIP program on the side. I have great memories of hitting up TGP with my fraternity brothers as a college student in the late 90's.

I really wish I could fly to Arizona this weekend to play some golf, hit up Rillito Park and meet you and certainly buy you a round or three.

-TGP
Not sure when the last time you went to TGP was, but they ceased live racing last June. Place has the most distinct smell to it that I have ever come across Its sad what it has become. Most lights and tvs are off, one teller, totally depressing.

If you ever make it to tucson before May when im outta here let me know. We can tear up old pueblo
Old 02-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
Rillito--the speediest of the speed-biased tracks in the world. Where 5.5F is considered a "route" Love it!

7TH TRUCO LATINO 5/2

8TH I'LL WEAR WHITE 4-1

Good luck boys

-NCG

In case you don't happen to be familiar with speed biased Rillito:
The speed bias is unreal here. If you arent on the lead by the far turn its over. Literally saw a handful of horses win from off the pace last meet. I had one of them, paid like $18
Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #9
johnhannibalsmith

Part of that is jockey bias. You get Cano Ortega and the like being resurrected and damn everyone is out of jockey at the midpoint on the turn.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
alhattab

All the best for a great meet Joe!
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
johnhannibalsmith

I just realized that Rillito is on my Xpressbet menu for the day. Excellent work.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #12
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
I just realized that Rillito is on my Xpressbet menu for the day. Excellent work.
Yes sir. TVG as well (doubt it will be on tv, maybe on TVG the ohco haha), twinspires, and a number of others. Some B&M too. Not really even that hard of a sell. Everyone needs content and our takeout is pretty high.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
All the best for a great meet Joe!
Thank andy, opening day monmouth is May 13th i believe, hasnt been announced yet i dont think. I will miss the first opening day in 21 years being here, but will be there the next weekend. im sure i will see everyone.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg

[B]7TH TRUCO LATINO 5/2

There was a time when if Grant was in a race it was hard to imagine he'd be chasing. There was also a time when I still bet Grant from time-to-time under this premise and got wrecked when he couldn't make the lead. I haven't seen a form or anything but if the old Grant shows up and Truckee Latino hooks, Look Out Below its My T Quick putting that speed bias to shame on day one.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #15
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
Thank andy, opening day monmouth is May 13th i believe, hasnt been announced yet i dont think. I will miss the first opening day in 21 years being here, but will be there the next weekend. im sure i will see everyone.
I'm sure there will be a lot of excitement at MP this year, Navarro will come in trying to go one up on that unreal win % last summer.