Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
Turfday

Ron Charles Resigns as President of Santa Anita

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...president.html

Bob Selvin

http://nationalturf.com
Turfday is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

The one thing that never stops in Stronachland: Management's Revolving Door.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
owlet
Veteran

Charles, the "Clear Valley Stable", the Sandman: relics from another era.

Poor guy tried but who among us could push the rock up THAT hill?

Oh well, at least Mullins, Mitchell and "the happiest, gayest guy on earth" John still have their jobs lol.
owlet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
sandpit

Sad, it doesn't pay to have old-fashioned passion for the sport; just doesn't get any respect from the guys paying the bills, or in Stronach's case, the guy not paying the bills
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Igeteven

Working for Stronach is like working for Hiltler

Santa Anita lost a good man.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Fingal

I wonder who's going to be the next Stronach severance check ?
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
MAGICHORSEMAN
magichorseman

Severance pay

I remember his nephew got $1,000,000 for severance pay by working 2 or 3 months in management.

I wonder how much this manager got in severance pay.
MAGICHORSEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Igeteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICHORSEMAN
I remember his nephew got $1,000,000 for severance pay by working 2 or 3 months in management.

I wonder how much this manager got in severance pay.
In those type of people, money is not the issue, being there and being in power is.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Deepsix

Charles has resigned --- does anyone know IF Magna asked for his resignation as a part of their broad reorganization, OR if he wasn't asked to resign do any of you know the facts as to why Charles submitted his resignation? Since none of this has yet been made public in the trade publications/blogs I'm gunna guess that none of us know exactly why Charles resigned.

Its usually a better approach to wait for the facts to become known before.
Deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Igeteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsix
Charles has resigned --- does anyone know IF Magna asked for his resignation as a part of their broad reorganization, OR if he wasn't asked to resign do any of you know the facts as to why Charles submitted his resignation? Since none of this has yet been made public in the trade publications/blogs I'm gunna guess that none of us know exactly why Charles resigned.

Its usually a better approach to wait for the facts to become known before.

If you would do your research, you would know why, do you ever look into things
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Deepsix

Generally there is no need to research your posts, Lester, I just roll my eyes. However when others submit topics/posts I nearly always do research when the post concern facts in question/dispute. I may have fore knowledge of various topics, and if not I research them.

Thanks for asking.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Igeteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepsix
Generally there is no need to research your posts, Lester, I just roll my eyes. However when others submit topics/posts I nearly always do research when the post concern facts in question/dispute. I may have fore knowledge of various topics, and if not I research them.

Thanks for asking.
ok, however, I wish you would do more reading and research then asking so many questions to a lot of people, I would like to see you post some good ideas then asking so many people so many questions

Lester
Old 05-18-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
beertapper

so is the surface going to be replaced ??

“The final analysis is, if we are able to arrive on a framework that is based on free enterprise, then I would be willing to invest again,” Stronach said in late February. “I cannot put money in over and over and over again if I know the model doesn’t work.”

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ita?source=rss
beertapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 04:01 PM   #14
andymays
Veteran

http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

Excerpt:

One of the main reasons Charles is leaving is because of MI Developments' decision to terminate its agreement with the Oak Tree Racing Association last week, according to the source who requested anonymity because he's not authorized to talk about the subject.

It's not known if Charles, thought by some to be a leading proponent of synthetic surfaces, is leaving on his own or is being forced out. Santa Anita is currently in the process of deciding whether to return to a dirt track or stick with a synthetic.

MI Developments is still under the umbrella of Frank Stronach, who is a known anti-synthetic man but says he went along with the California Horse Racing Board's mandate for artificial surfaces for the good of the sport in California.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #15
Deepsix

..... yeah, just another rumor from an unknown source. That is one of several reasons that are typically behind resignations of this sort:

1) Charles may have found himself in a position where he couldn't buy in to the new direction of MID, and he was being given the option of being fired, or to tender his resignation. So he had a couple options: to be fired, or to resign.

2) Or, the other typical reason in situations such as these is that Charles just doesn't have the energy to continue to struggle with the whole SA issue and he could says 'skrew it", I'm out of here.

3) Or, health, family, etc.... the standard reasons folks give when they resign under similar reorganization/BK situations.

I trust we'll eventually hear from Charles.