Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
karlskorner

Big Mystery at Arlington

http://www.suntimes.com/output/horse...pt-odnt08.html
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #2
B. Comin'

After reading Steve 'stat man' s comments (he's an ex-bank auditor) at the Chicago barntowire forum, it doesn't appear to be such a mystery after all.
B. Comin' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2003, 06:26 PM   #3
VetScratch
EffetePrivilegedTrackRat

AP Mystery

In "Conspiracy Theories At Arlington" here at PA, I think Game Theory scooped the Sun Times by about a week with an explanation of this mystery.

The new bad news in the Sun Times article is that the State Racing Board annointed political appointee Marc Laino as its Executive Director. This is the same idiot who was paid to investigate the pari-mutuel systems and employees, and delivered a report card that gave them high marks for honesty and security (but blew the whistle on an undercover IRS agent). Of course, we all know what subsequently happened when AP landed the Breeders' Cup.

Your can take Chicago racing out of Cicero, but you can't take Cicero out of Chicago racing!

Last edited by VetScratch; 07-09-2003 at 06:30 PM.
VetScratch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
VetScratch
EffetePrivilegedTrackRat

The Helpful AP President, Cliff Goodrich

Quote:
Again, using Goodrich's figures, Rainy Day Rules had $7,304 bet on him prior to the in-race cycle and then an additional $3,736 posted on the final flash of $4,000 net, meaning after new betting and cancellations. That $3,736 represents 93.4 percent of the total $4,000 Goodrich said was posted after the start of the race.''
Upon re-examination, the red herring (if you insist on finding one) might be inside the figures that Goodrich summarized as "$4,000 net, meaning after new betting and cancellations."

I believe post-time (and suspected past-post) cancellations coupled with new wagers were at the heart of the pari-mutuel scandals at Remington Park a few years ago. If Goodrich withheld cancellation dollars from "Stat Man," how credible were his resulting estimates?

Subsequently, in Barntowire.Com, Goodrich apparently recanted his total net figure of $4,000 without providing concrete totals for new bets and cancellations.

The name escapes me, so does anyone out there remember the legendary "wise guy" who left his footprints at LAD, FG, OP, and RP? His famous gimmick was fixing the training races that were mandatory for Lousiana maidens.

Last edited by VetScratch; 07-09-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:47 PM   #5
GameTheory

I don't get why he was making such a big deal about the 93% of pool (in the final minutes) as if that is some sort of smoking gun. It was a big bet, it was a big percentage, so what? Investigate all you want -- if it turns out to be many small bets from different places then that casts the wagering system into question, but if it was a single bettor then it doesn't indicate anything in particular. Not about the wagering anyway, but possibly on the race itself which nobody seems to be concerned about. If you fixed a race AND you try to past-post in the same race, you should be up for the Criminal Of The Year Award (or COTYA, get it?).
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-09-2003, 11:33 PM   #6
superfecta
no fat chicks

Re: The Helpful AP President, Cliff Goodrich

Quote:
Originally posted by VetScratch
Upon re-examination, the red herring (if you insist on finding one) might be inside the figures that Goodrich summarized as "$4,000 net, meaning after new betting and cancellations."

I believe post-time (and suspected past-post) cancellations coupled with new wagers were at the heart of the pari-mutuel scandals at Remington Park a few years ago. If Goodrich withheld cancellation dollars from "Stat Man," how credible were his resulting estimates?

Subsequently, in Barntowire.Com, Goodrich apparently recanted his total net figure of $4,000 without providing concrete totals for new bets and cancellations.

The name escapes me, so does anyone out there remember the legendary "wise guy" who left his footprints at LAD, FG, OP, and RP? His famous gimmick was fixing the training races that were mandatory for Lousiana maidens.
the guys behind the RP bet and cancel were members of the Bad Boy Thoroughbred Club(suposedly).Now the leader of that group was Wade White and the other members were guys that had done time(suposedly).Now the other scummy trainers around that time was Larry and Bobby Speck.Maybe one of these name rings a bell?
Old 07-09-2003, 11:45 PM   #7
VetScratch
EffetePrivilegedTrackRat

Speck, I spect.

It was definitely Speck, I think Larry, especially if he was the older of the two. Thought he was ruled off so many places that I was surprised to hear he got licensed at RP. Could it have been that Bobby got the license but Larry ran the show?

I also recall the White gang, so you must have had enough bad guys at RP to start a crime wave.

Last edited by VetScratch; 07-09-2003 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-10-2003, 02:22 AM   #8
B. Comin'

Nice posts Super and Vet. I enjoy reading what you two usually have to say have to say.
B. Comin' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2003, 08:14 PM   #9
superfecta
no fat chicks

Re: Speck, I spect.

Quote:
Originally posted by VetScratch
It was definitely Speck, I think Larry, especially if he was the older of the two. Thought he was ruled off so many places that I was surprised to hear he got licensed at RP. Could it have been that Bobby got the license but Larry ran the show?

I also recall the White gang, so you must have had enough bad guys at RP to start a crime wave.
Thats the funny thing about that last name.I have seen it spelled both ways,so I don't know if there are two sets of brothers named Speck and Spect,or they changed spellings to keep their licence.I also heard that Larry was the main trainer.Another funny thing was that when this was going on at Remington,I never saw the descrepancies in the pools .May very have been they were that good or they thought were that slick and they weren't.
Also food for rumor...Talk came around that several times when the pick six was large,the owners of the track at that time(DeBartolos)had bought most of the outstanding #s in the possible combos for winning tickets.Didn't think much of it till one pick six ticket worth almost 225,000 lay unclaimed for almost a year, till the last possible day to cash,then(supposedly) an employee of DeBartolo came forward to claim the money.Funny stuff huh?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:26 PM   #10
VetScratch
EffetePrivilegedTrackRat

In my earlier post, I almost said, "so you must have had enough bad guys at RP to fill a shopping mall." I think the track just West of here, Prickly Downs (TDN), was once (or is) owned by the same owners, and that name still evokes timid caution in these parts!

I've heard that it's not fun to get paved under in section "D" outside the anchor store!