Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-30-2022, 08:23 PM   #1
westernmassbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 436
Last week of Saratoga....is anyone getting depressed ?

I know there is so much to do and see around Saratoga but it always gets depressing when track season comes to a close. I feel like Saratoga Springs life revolves around the track. Without it there would be no life in that city. Which leads me to this question , how come the season is so short ? I feel as though the last week of June going into Labor Day seems more fitting. Anyway I should be making a final visit this week. Hope to see some of you all at the track.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2022, 11:52 PM   #2
lamboguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston+Ocala
Posts: 23,167
how can anyone be depressed? we have Belmont at Aqueduct to look forward to!
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 10:05 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 109,301
Yes, Welcome BAQ~!
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
BarchCapper
Registered User
 
BarchCapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Clarksville, AR
Posts: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Yes, Welcome BAQ~!
Too bad trainer Mary Cotter is retired.
__________________
Tom in NW Arkansas
óóóóóó
ĒPast performances are no guarantee of future results.Ē - Why isn't this disclaimer printed in the Daily Racing Form?
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 11:05 AM   #5
ScottJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
I know there is so much to do and see around Saratoga but it always gets depressing when track season comes to a close. I feel like Saratoga Springs life revolves around the track. Without it there would be no life in that city. Which leads me to this question , how come the season is so short ? I feel as though the last week of June going into Labor Day seems more fitting. Anyway I should be making a final visit this week. Hope to see some of you all at the track.
To me, the end of the Saratoga Summer is synonymous with Labor Day : that last day, that last race, that last stretch drive, that last flash of the toteboard, that lump in your throat as you pass along Union Avenue knowing school is back, but the playground is closed. Always leaves me melancholy wondering what happened since screaming "They're off at Saratoga!" either in-person or at my television set.

But to be special, it has to have an end - a very definitive end. Here's the date, here's the time - after that, you wait until next year.

Let me give you something uplifting about the season's ending. If you have read The Saratoga Special, you know that the last article of each edition goes to Sean Clancy and his "Cup of Coffee" column. If you go back over the many years of those columns, every one captures the heart and soul of these eight weeks. Sometimes, as with this year, so much more.

However, my personal favorite comes from the closing edition of the 2018 paper. Sean wrote, "So over the next 10 1/2 months (please donít open July 4), sure, the days will feel so long, but remember, the years will feel so short. See you in a lot of long days and a very short year."

Enjoy the final six days of 2022 and see you in a very short year!
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 11:34 AM   #6
westernmassbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
To me, the end of the Saratoga Summer is synonymous with Labor Day : that last day, that last race, that last stretch drive, that last flash of the toteboard, that lump in your throat as you pass along Union Avenue knowing school is back, but the playground is closed. Always leaves me melancholy wondering what happened since screaming "They're off at Saratoga!" either in-person or at my television set.

But to be special, it has to have an end - a very definitive end. Here's the date, here's the time - after that, you wait until next year.

Let me give you something uplifting about the season's ending. If you have read The Saratoga Special, you know that the last article of each edition goes to Sean Clancy and his "Cup of Coffee" column. If you go back over the many years of those columns, every one captures the heart and soul of these eight weeks. Sometimes, as with this year, so much more.

However, my personal favorite comes from the closing edition of the 2018 paper. Sean wrote, "So over the next 10 1/2 months (please donít open July 4), sure, the days will feel so long, but remember, the years will feel so short. See you in a lot of long days and a very short year."

Enjoy the final six days of 2022 and see you in a very short year!
I like this very much. Thanks for the response. I agree very much when you say for something to be special it must have an end. Labor Day is the absolute best ending day for a myriad of reasons. Itís the start date that could be a bit earlier. Heck July 4th week would probably be huge for the racetrack. Independence Day to Labor Day at one of the greatest tracks and places in the country...now that makes sense.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 04:10 PM   #7
jj.
Horse Racing Addict
 
jj.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6
I love Saratoga also. Never been there but hear it's beautiful. One of these years I will get there. Travers Day was fantastic! I believe Saratoga is one of the oldest racetracks in the United States.
__________________
JJ'S
jj. is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 06:36 PM   #8
Brass Hat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 62
Listening to Byk Friday morning talking about how much he enjoys watching the replays of prior Travers shown on the track the morning of the Travers. Well, they did for years; this year they decided to play moldy oldies instead. Nice tradition down the drain to cater to non-racing fans who attend Travers day.

Sparse paddock analysis; a few races it sounded like Michelle Yu, spending time talking about horses's records, stuff you can find in the PP's, rather than physicality.

Were regaled by the Siena band on the screen though.

Not to mention the foolish jockey intros, feeding the belief into a lot of fans who don't follow racing closely that the jockeys are more important than the horses.

Did fix the problem of people leaving while horses are entering the track. Yelled at Ginny Reid to get off the horse path.

I understand the NYRA trying to cater to once a year fans, but some people there are more interested in information.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 08:59 PM   #9
westernmassbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
Listening to Byk Friday morning talking about how much he enjoys watching the replays of prior Travers shown on the track the morning of the Travers. Well, they did for years; this year they decided to play moldy oldies instead. Nice tradition down the drain to cater to non-racing fans who attend Travers day.

Sparse paddock analysis; a few races it sounded like Michelle Yu, spending time talking about horses's records, stuff you can find in the PP's, rather than physicality.

Were regaled by the Siena band on the screen though.

Not to mention the foolish jockey intros, feeding the belief into a lot of fans who don't follow racing closely that the jockeys are more important than the horses.

Did fix the problem of people leaving while horses are entering the track. Yelled at Ginny Reid to get off the horse path.

I understand the NYRA trying to cater to once a year fans, but some people there are more interested in information.
The live camera feed with the jockeys popping through like they were at the Super Bowl was the silliest thing Iíve ever seen NYRA do. The feed BTW was horrible constantly freezing etc. IDK about anyone else but itís not a good first impression to charge $32.00 for a sandwich and soda obviously preying on the first time vacationers. Personally the gate fee I find quite reasonable in comparison to any other live event. Heck Iíve seen people pay 125 for a football game ticket and pay another 50 to park. I just wish NYRA would come up with a different plan in regards to concession costs.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 09:38 PM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs
 
cj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 46,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
The live camera feed with the jockeys popping through like they were at the Super Bowl was the silliest thing Iíve ever seen NYRA do. The feed BTW was horrible constantly freezing etc. IDK about anyone else but itís not a good first impression to charge $32.00 for a sandwich and soda obviously preying on the first time vacationers. Personally the gate fee I find quite reasonable in comparison to any other live event. Heck Iíve seen people pay 125 for a football game ticket and pay another 50 to park. I just wish NYRA would come up with a different plan in regards to concession costs.
Did you know you can bring your own food and drink?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 09:48 PM   #11
westernmassbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Did you know you can bring your own food and drink?
I’m surprised they don’t charge for that rust flavored spring water they have...at least that is free.

Last edited by cj; 08-31-2022 at 10:02 PM.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2022, 11:56 PM   #12
jahura2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 315
Last week of Saratoga....is anyone getting depressed ?

Unpopular opinion alert! Depressed? Good Grief I enjoy Saratoga as much as any bettor, I even had the chance to see the Travers in person the year Catholic Boy won, but come on its still just another betting opportunity in a landscape full of them. Sure I dont live there so I dont understand the historical allure, the city and area is beautiful but its still just another race meet.
Instead of getting depressed take a look at the full cards and juicy odds at Ky Downs starting tomorrow. Saturdays card has 2 500K races and 1 million dollar race all with full fields. After they close is BAQ, CD, Keeneland and Breeders Cup. No reason to be depressed..
Dont get me wrong I love betting Saratoga but the meet closing is not a reason to hang your head.

Last edited by jahura2; 09-01-2022 at 12:04 AM.
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #13
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1
 
$w1fT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Iím surprised they donít charge for that rust flavored spring water they have...at least that is free.
You didnít answer his question. Why complain about food and drink prices if there is a much better option available?
$w1fT is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #14
pandy
Registered User
 
pandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA.
Posts: 7,360
It was a great meet this year in several ways. The usual muggy day downpours didn't happen, so very few races were off the turf. The turf racing was superb. There were a lot of overlays and usable longshot winners that weren't impossible to find. I had a great meeting, although I wish I could have been there, we had too many other things planned this year. Flavien Prat is about as good as it gets on turf.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2022, 10:21 AM   #15
westernmassbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
You didnít answer his question. Why complain about food and drink prices if there is a much better option available?
Of course I know you can bring food in...that wasnít my point. There are a lot of first timers, vacationers that donít have all the first hand knowledge of a regular. ď Hey honey looks like a pretty cool racetrack letís go and check it out , oh wait letís stop at the supermarket and buy a refrigerator of food before we go. Donít worry I will lug it around all day as we enjoy the racesĒ. Saratoga isnít the first venue to be opportunistic when it comes to over pricing for concession food. I just wish one of these places would take a stand on it.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.