Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #1501
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Why no air support for the Ruskies?
Just a guess here, but the new AA weapons supplied by the West have proven to be too effective against RU planes? Or spare parts weren't readily available without cannibilizing the rest of the airforce. I've heard of similar problems with the motorized armor.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 10-04-2022 at 09:48 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2022, 11:48 AM   #1502
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
Why no air support for the Ruskies?
Because it's trash.

The performance of the Russian Air Force in this conflict since day one has been absolutely abysmal.

Ukraine are doing a lot of things right. Their unconventional use of a system like the Gepard for instance.

That said, the incompetence is astounding.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:49 AM   #1503
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Just a guess here, but the new AA weapons supplied by the West have proven to be too effective against RU planes? Or spare parts weren't readily available without cannibilizing the rest of the airforce. I've heard of similar problems with the motorized armor.
We're definitely at the spare parts phase.

Ukrainian Air Force over performed and Russia was never able to really sniff out the S300 radars.

Also Ukrainians are clever. I mentioned the Gepard which is mostly shit but it's mobile. Ukrainians are using them as basically mobile radars. They drive around turn them on and see if they can find something. If they do a S300 battery powers up, takes a shot, and shuts back down. Gepard moves to a different spot.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 10-04-2022 at 11:54 AM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #1504
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Because it's trash.

The performance of the Russian Air Force in this conflict since day one has been absolutely abysmal.

Ukraine are doing a lot of things right. Their unconventional use of a system like the Gepard for instance.

That said, the incompetence is astounding.
This is making me so happy to see.

Putin unzipped Russia’s fly and revealed how horrible his forces really are…..

The Russian Air Forces have been rumored to be awful for years. They have very few spare parts (our Air Forces have a shortage too, but not as bad) and any engagement with the west over a few weeks long would be a devastating blow to Russia.

Do some research about our 5th generation fighters and you would realize that Russian planes wouldn’t last a week.

Last edited by JustRalph; 10-04-2022 at 06:49 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2022, 09:58 PM   #1505
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
This is making me so happy to see.

Putin unzipped Russia’s fly and revealed how horrible his forces really are…..

The Russian Air Forces have been rumored to be awful for years. They have very few spare parts (our Air Forces have a shortage too, but not as bad) and any engagement with the west over a few weeks long would be a devastating blow to Russia.

Do some research about our 5th generation fighters and you would realize that Russian planes wouldn’t last a week.
We need to have a real conversation about balance of power in our politics.

The air power example is the easiest example... in the same scenario I highlighted a minute ago the Gepard powers on and locates the predator drone. The S300 lights up to acquire it and take its shot.

Problem is... neither see the F22 or F35 flying SEAD that has a Anti-Radiation Missile out the chute within 5 seconds of those radars turning on.

I know it's popular, especially among the Putin-tolerant right at the moment (that will shift when politically convenient to the left), to complain that we should be focusing on China...

This conflict has shown us the Balance of Power in the world currently is as follows;

United States.
China
India
France
UK(?... maybe Japan or South Korea)

Example 2;

We are witnessing what Ukraine is able to do with 18 HIMARS units...

We have five hundred and fifty of the fuckers.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 10-04-2022 at 09:59 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 12:16 AM   #1506
elysiantraveller

This is a really good thread of what has happened over the last 24-36 hours in the Kherson Oblast. Also provides a good explanation of the strategies around combined arms and mechanized warfare.

This is pretty textbook what seems to be happening and I agree with most of what he is saying. Only one major difference so far.

If you look at the first image the town of Snihurivka is the key stone of the Russian defensive lines and there are now unconfirmed reports that Ukrainian forces are in the city. This would break the spine of their defensive line. A route ensues as Russian's will flee towards the city proper and coast where they'll be trapped.

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/...37yrDKdtQ5HVyg
Old 10-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #1507
tucker6

Quote:
This is a really good thread of what has happened over the last 24-36 hours in the Kherson Oblast. Also provides a good explanation of the strategies around combined arms and mechanized warfare.

This is pretty textbook what seems to be happening and I agree with most of what he is saying. Only one major difference so far.

If you look at the first image the town of Snihurivka is the key stone of the Russian defensive lines and there are now unconfirmed reports that Ukrainian forces are in the city. This would break the spine of their defensive line. A route ensues as Russian's will flee towards the city proper and coast where they'll be trapped.

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/...37yrDKdtQ5HVyg
The Russian officer staff seem to be I’ll equipped to fight conventional warfare. The Ukrainian battle tactics are taught at every war college on the planet. I don’t assume the Russian general staff is untrained so I must assume that they are miscalculating morale amongst the troops.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2022, 01:02 PM   #1508
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
The Russian officer staff seem to be I’ll equipped to fight conventional warfare. The Ukrainian battle tactics are taught at every war college on the planet. I don’t assume the Russian general staff is untrained so I must assume that they are miscalculating morale amongst the troops.
Morale has to play a huge part.

Plus it's just overall structure of the armed force when the bulk of your soldiers are conscripts who are only in for a year and get training on the job... only catch there is no real NCO pool.

I can't stress how fucked it is they are taking men off the streets my age (late 30s), giving them a days worth of training, a rifle, and sending them to the front.

You have to really detest your own people to do stuff like that.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:25 PM   #1509
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I can't stress how fucked it is they are taking men off the streets my age (late 30s), giving them a days worth of training, a rifle, and sending them to the front.

Seems to this observer that this method is working out great for Ukraine.

Isn't that basically what they did shortly after the start of the war?

If you are to believe the news reports, that is.

What say you?
Old 10-05-2022, 08:02 PM   #1510
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Seems to this observer that this method is working out great for Ukraine.

Isn't that basically what they did shortly after the start of the war?

If you are to believe the news reports, that is.

What say you?
Nooo.... not at all.

The Ukrainian approach to military unit training and cohesion is the polar opposite of what Russia is doing.

In addition to that they created the Territorial Army for this exact scenario.

Its literally night and day opposite of what the Russians are doing.

I think you're referring to closing the borders and a gun for everyone who wants one which is completely different than getting some yokel from Siberia. A dude who possibly doesn't speak Ukrainian or Russian, giving him a rifle, and sticking him in a trench.
Old 10-05-2022, 11:44 PM   #1511
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I remember predictions in the media of a two week war
Old 10-06-2022, 06:08 AM   #1512
tucker6

Quote:
I remember predictions on a Friday that Kiev would fall by Monday and what country Zelensky would flee to. My. My. My.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 08:04 AM   #1513
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I figured a month or two.

My prediction was Russia would defeat Ukraine and the government of the latter would cease to exist in any real capacity. Eventually Russia would be forced to withdraw after a long and very bloody insurgency a la Afghanistan.

That prediction was proven wrong quite early. Recall posting about it.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:28 AM   #1514
jocko699
Resurrectionist

We are getting ready for the big boom!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/oth...ts/ar-AA12Dv4K
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2022, 10:47 AM   #1515
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Morale has to play a huge part.

Plus it's just overall structure of the armed force when the bulk of your soldiers are conscripts who are only in for a year and get training on the job... only catch there is no real NCO pool.

Since I've gotten my war news primarily off Twitter, take this with a grain of salt. I read earlier this week that some of the new RU conscripts have already been shipped to Ukraine, and some immediately surrendered. Sounds like bs, but who knows.

I also read(more believable) that probable conscripts have been gathering info on how to surrender if they're sent to Ukraine.
Ukraine recently pubished that enemy losses are 61,000. Russian sources say it's closer to 20K. So 30-40K may be the number. And Ukr didn't say that it was 61K killed, but no longer combatants.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: