Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #10576
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
... the most straightforward and simpler solution is that Christ did physically rise on the third day versus the many insolvable problems that occur with lame theories that are antithetical to those accounts.
So try this theory. The Gospel of Mark was written by a guy who wanted to make a buck off a piece of fiction. There being no copyright law at the time two other guys horned into the franchise by writing The Gospel of Matthew and The Gospel of Luke. The latter was so successful that he followed up with a sequel The Acts of the Apostles.

Now according to you this scenario presents "insolvable problems." What are those insolvable problems. Can you give an honest answer to that question? No ad hominems? No straw men? No red herrings? No logical fallacies at all?
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:17 PM   #10577
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
So try this theory. The Gospel of Mark was written by a guy who wanted to make a buck off a piece of fiction. There being no copyright law at the time two other guys horned into the franchise by writing The Gospel of Matthew and The Gospel of Luke. The latter was so successful that he followed up with a sequel The Acts of the Apostles.

Now according to you this scenario presents "insolvable problems." What are those insolvable problems. Can you give an honest answer to that question? No ad hominems? No straw men? No red herrings? No logical fallacies at all?
How about this "theory": Apply Occam's Razor to the actual relative biblical narratives?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #10578
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
How about this "theory": Apply Occam's Razor to the actual relative biblical narratives?
Straw man.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #10579
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Straw man.
Oh....so you don't want to apply Occam's Razor to the resurrection narratives?
You'd rather summarily dismiss the narratives a priori and make theories up inside your head. In other words, you want to play PRETEND.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #10580
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Oh....so you don't want to apply Occam's Razor to the resurrection narratives?
You'd rather summarily dismiss the narratives a priori and make theories up inside your head. In other words, you want to play PRETEND.
Another straw man. You made the claim that any theory "antithetical" to your interpretation presents "insolvable problems." The burden of proof is yours. Put up or shut up.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #10581
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Another straw man. You made the claim that any theory "antithetical" to your interpretation presents "insolvable problems." The burden of proof is yours. Put up or shut up.
Okay. Who are these anonymous, mysterious persons? What was their motive? Is there any evidence they conspired together? Were these unknown people Jews? If so, why did they cast their own people in a very bad light by writing that they murdered their own Messiah? And if their claim about Jesus rising on the third day was patently false, why didn't the Jews produce the body? Why aren't there any first century Jewish writings that refute the very hurtful and slanderous myth/lie, etc., etc. etc.?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #10582
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Another post that that needs a recount!

Re the Cain question: Don't know. Scripture is silent on it. I, likewise, will be silent.

Re Eve's reproductive system: God's curse upon Eve was he would greatly multiply her pain. So, apparently, even if Eve hadn't sinned, she would have still experienced some pain in childbirth.

Re: a "talking snake": There were no talking snakes in the Garden. The Serpent, that Satan inhabited, was cursed to eat the dust of the ground after the temptation.

Re Adam: You're right (finally!) about Adam's character. He was quite the scoundrel, as he even implicitly blamed God for giving him a defective woman (3:12). There's nothing in all scripture that speaks positively about Adam. Quite the contrary, in fact. As stated often in the past (even the relatively recent past) God sovereignly chose to reconcile Eve to himself (implicitly understood) (3:15), but Adam was conspicuously excluded in that reconciliation. In other words, God unconditionally elected to save Eve, but chose to pass over Adam.

Re the time of the Fall: Again, scripture is silent on this.

Re The Serpent and the Woman: Satan was very clever. He very likely knew that Eve's instructions about eating from the forbidden tree came indirectly to her by Adam. It's possible that Eve never interacted directly with God prior to her sin, as Adam did. Satan obviously reasoned that she would be a softer target, and she was.

Re your Bonnie and Clyde analogy: I will refrain from answering since I want to give Light enough rope with which to hang himself regarding the theological issue of election.
Your usual circular "proof"....."evidence"

Avoid logic bunky

__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.

Last edited by hcap; 04-06-2019 at 11:18 AM.
hcap is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:05 PM   #10583
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Your usual circular "proof"....."evidence"

Avoid logic bunky

Take your own advice! The bible proves itself to be the Word of God because it's contradiction-free in all matters of Faith and Practice.

And besides, you should be thanking me for revealing your deeply latent, hidden belief in the existence of absolute truth. It took me to bring it out of you.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #10584
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Take your own advice! The bible proves itself to be the Word of God because it's contradiction-free in all matters of Faith and Practice.

And besides, you should be thanking me for revealing your deeply latent, hidden belief in the existence of absolute truth. It took me to bring it out of you.
Maybe that image was too complicated for the simple minded.

Another personalized just for you.
Like chasing your tail. Sort of like the earth's rotation proving time "flows" from the future




__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #10585
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Maybe that image was too complicated for the simple minded.

Another personalized just for you.
Like chasing your tail. Sort of like the earth's rotation proving time "flows" from the future




I think this thread is way out of your depth.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #10586
hcap
Registered User
 
hcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 30,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I think this thread is way out of your depth.
Avoid logic at all costs.
__________________
The inmates have taken over the asylum.
hcap is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 01:39 PM   #10587
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Avoid logic at all costs.
Why because you do?

Now that we know that absolute truth exists, this kinda puts a stake in the heart of the self-defeating philosophy of moral relativism, doesn't it?
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #10588
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Who are these anonymous, mysterious persons?
Unknown even by religious scholars. It's been pointed out before on this thread that the synoptic gospels are anonymous. The earliest surviving copies have no byline and do not identify an author. Later copies attribute the authorship to Mark, Matthew, Luke in the margins by persons other than the copyist.

And your asking that question while at the same time claiming that you do not have to name witnesses is Special Pleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
What was their motive?
The same thing that motivates Joel Osteen and David Miscavige: Money and power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Is there any evidence they conspired together?
Straw man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Were these unknown people Jews?
Straw man! But more likely Greek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
If so, why did they cast their own people in a very bad light by writing that they murdered their own Messiah?
Shirley you're joking. You keep telling us that are men are liars, that all men cannot not sin. Saying that the Jews murdered their own Messiah fits right in with that dogma. And whoever wrote the gospels they are probably not the ones who made that one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And if their claim about Jesus rising on the third day was patently false, why didn't the Jews produce the body?
Get a dictionary and look up the definition of the word fiction. It's a made up story. There never was a Jesus, ergo, there was no body to produce.

That's a real hoot. "Jesus must have existed because nobody could produce his body." Are you serious? Do you really not see the total lack of logic in that statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Why aren't there any first century Jewish writings that refute the very hurtful and slanderous myth/lie, etc., etc. etc.?
Why aren't there any first century writings that refute the myth of Hercules, Mithra, Dionysis, etc. There's also the fact that once Christianity became the official religion of Rome they went on a book burning campaign which lasted for centuries. (Look up the story of Hypatia.) There's also the fact that Constantine sent a genocidal military expedition against Christians who did not buy into the trinity dogma.

Is that all you have? None of it presents any "insolvable problem."
__________________
Sapere aude

Last edited by Actor; 04-06-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Actor is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 02:52 PM   #10589
Actor
Librocubicularist
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Avoid logic at all costs.
And claim that those who do use logic do not understand it, all the while using almost every logical fallacy in the book.
__________________
Sapere aude
Actor is offline  
Old 04-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #10590
boxcar
Registered User
 
boxcar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 45,821
QUOTE=Actor;2449376]Unknown even by religious scholars. It's been pointed out before on this thread that the synoptic gospels are anonymous. The earliest surviving copies have no byline and do not identify an author. Later copies attribute the authorship to Mark, Matthew, Luke in the margins by persons other than the copyist.

And your asking that question while at the same time claiming that you do not have to name witnesses is Special Pleading.

The same thing that motivates Joel Osteen and David Miscavige: Money and power.

Straw man!

Straw man!

Shirley you're joking. You keep telling us that are men are liars, that all men cannot not sin. Saying that the Jews murdered their own Messiah fits right in with that dogma. And whoever wrote the gospels they are probably not the ones who made that one up.

Get a dictionary and look up the definition of the word fiction. It's a made up story. There never was a Jesus, ergo, there was no body to produce.

That's a real hoot. "Jesus must have existed because nobody could produce his body." Are you serious? Do you really not see the total lack of logic in that statement?

Why aren't there any first century writings that refute the myth of Hercules, Mithra, Dionysis, etc. There's also the fact that once Christianity became the official religion of Rome they went on a book burning campaign which lasted for centuries. (Look up the story of Hypatia.) There's also the fact that Constantine sent a genocidal military expedition against Christians who did not buy into the trinity dogma.

Is that all you have? None of it presents any "insolvable problem." [/QUOTE]

Did the myths of Hercules, Mirtha, Donyis result in bringing great harm to the people who originated those myths, as did the Jesus "myth" result in great harm to the Jews? (Check with Hcap. He's the "expert" on Jews suffering at the hands of Christians.)

Can you prove that money and power motivated the anonymous ancient writers. You're making the claim. The burden of proof is on you.

And you need to address the issue of why Jews would create a myth that they knew would result in bringing great harm to their fellow Jews.

Finally, you make the claim that Jesus never existed. You need to prove that as well.

Your dumb theory doesn't pass the sniff test of Occam's Razor.
__________________
Consistent profits can only be made on the basis of analysis that is far from obvious to the majority. - anonymous guru
boxcar is offline  
Closed Thread




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.