Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Turfday

Hollywood Park Cancels This Thursday (07/08)

Lack of entries.

Bob Selvin

http://nationalturf.com

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-05-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Turfday is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
Igeteven

Here we go again, Horsemen killing Hollywood Park

Any horsemen out there from California or anyone knows the real reason, that they're not entering their horses in the races.

There is so much money that HP is giving away to the horsemen for running their horses and nobody is taking it.

I would like to know why
Old 07-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #3
David-LV
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeteven
Any horsemen out there from California or anyone knows the real reason, that they're not entering their horses in the races.

There is so much money that HP is giving away to the horsemen for running their horses and nobody is taking it.

I would like to know why
Get rid of those mickey mouse synthetic surfaces and go back to dirt.

I can't remember California tracks canceling for lack of entries when they ran on dirt.

Synthetic surfaces are putting a lot of horses on the shelf with minor and some major injuries.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
toussaud

as much as i am really not a huge fan of synthetics, this has nothing to do with synthetics (see del mar meet coming up, i assure you del mar will not have a problem filling it's card) and everything to do with the stupid ridiculous training bills out in socal. it costs too much to keep a horse in training there for the purses they run for.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-LV
Get rid of those mickey mouse synthetic surfaces and go back to dirt.

I can't remember California tracks canceling for lack of entries when they ran on dirt.

Synthetic surfaces are putting a lot of horses on the shelf with minor and some major injuries.

Exactly.

Its possible that plastic tracks prevent the catastrophic breakdowns in front of the general public, but they may not help the overall horse population's soundness. Also a good point, they didnt cancel cards for lack of entries when they had dirt racing.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #6
rwwupl

It is the responsibility of the horsemen(collective) partnering with the racetrack to put on the show, to attract the customers and it appears that the horsemen have put this obligation aside in favor of other benefits to individual horsemen.

I read recently that the Racing Secretary at Hollywood said the inventory of horses was down to 2,800 horses,and 1,300 had not yet run at this meeting. Many race meetings are run with adequate field size with less inventory

What role has the TOC or other horsemens organizations played to encourage cooperation with the racetrack by its members to put on desirable race cards for the public?

Does any horsemens organization have any program to encourage its members to fill the races and put on attractive cards? Do not think so.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

The epitaph for the CA racing industry: We had to kill it in order to save it. RIP 2010.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
It is the responsibility of the horsemen(collective) partnering with the racetrack to put on the show, to attract the customers and it appears that the horsemen have put this obligation aside in favor of other benefits to individual horsemen.

I read recently that the Racing Secretary at Hollywood said the inventory of horses was down to 2,800 horses,and 1,300 had not yet run at this meeting. Many race meetings are run with adequate field size with less inventory

What role has the TOC or other horsemens organizations played to encourage cooperation with the racetrack by its members to put on desirable race cards for the public?

Does any horsemens organization have any program to encourage its members to fill the races and put on attractive cards? Do not think so.

Santa Anita, DMR and Hol ought to band together and kick out these trainers who refuse to enter horses. How about a new rule, if you're not planning on running at the meet, you aren't allowed to stable your horse on the grounds of any of these racetracks. I think if the tracks ruled with an iron fist, these guys would run more often.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Santa Anita, DMR and Hol ought to band together and kick out these trainers who refuse to enter horses. How about a new rule, if you're not planning on running at the meet, you aren't allowed to stable your horse on the grounds of any of these racetracks. I think if the tracks ruled with an iron fist, these guys would run more often.
And where do you suggest the owners and trainers keep their stock that is in training or layed up due to injury?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
And where do you suggest the owners and trainers keep their stock that is in training or layed up due to injury?

A private farm for some R and R?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #11
toussaud

but when todd pletcher was banned for 6 months and running horses under mccarthy's name everyone was just as outraged that he wasn't 100% banned and how this wasn't going to solve anything
. make up your minds people.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
A private farm for some R and R?
And the young stock that are in training but have yet to make a start?
Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
And the young stock that are in training but have yet to make a start?
The racing secretary can make a determination on which horses can stay and which ones have to go.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
jamey1977

A Nightmare

Quote:
The racing secretary can make a determination on which horses can stay and which ones have to go.
Screw this crap. We can't even get our plays out. In a year and a half maybe sooner. I'll have to use 4 circuits to get my plays out. Kentucky Circuit, New York Circuit and Southern, And Northern Calif. circuit. 4 circuits to get out 80 win plays. Thanks a lot Southern Calif. I am studying The New York circuit, right now. Some might never come back.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamey1977
Screw this crap. We can't even get our plays out. In a year and a half maybe sooner. I'll have to use 4 circuits to get my plays out. Kentucky Circuit, New York Circuit and Southern, And Northern Calif. circuit. 4 circuits to get out 80 win plays. Thanks a lot Southern Calif. I am studying The New York circuit, right now. Some might never come back.
I hear you, but those people aren't pushing the horsemen hard. They need to put the coals to their feet and make them run their horses.