Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #31
MargieRose

Asking people to go cold-turkey to EV is ridiculous and I doubt will never happen.

Why are simple hybrid vehicles being ignored? A half and half transition makes so much more sense. Hybrids have been available for a long time; get double or more the gas mileage than that of an all-gas vehicle; the electric battery automatically recharges, when the gas kicks in...no down time at all. The hybrids are not outrageously priced, and no extra, expensive installs are necessary.
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 01:01 PM   #32
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
Asking people to go cold-turkey to EV is ridiculous and I doubt will never happen.

Why are simple hybrid vehicles being ignored? A half and half transition makes so much more sense. Hybrids have been available for a long time; get double or more the gas mileage than that of an all-gas vehicle; the electric battery automatically recharges, when the gas kicks in...no down time at all. The hybrids are not outrageously priced, and no extra, expensive installs are necessary.
Dem donors and Dem politicians can't make $$$$ off of hybrids.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #33
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Dem donors and Dem politicians can't make $$$$ off of hybrids.
True, but no one from the more reasonable side ever brings up the benefits of a hybrid, either. The WH press ignores them; the news media ignores them; the social media ignores them; the public in general ignores them. The hybrids should be at the top of the talking points, regarding energy efficiency.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #34
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
True, but no one from the more reasonable side ever brings up the benefits of a hybrid, either. The WH press ignores them; the news media ignores them; the social media ignores them; the public in general ignores them. The hybrids should be at the top of the talking points, regarding energy efficiency.

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...p-10-list.html

All electric range is very short.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 02:15 PM   #35
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
This "plug-in" stuff is not necessary.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:31 PM   #36
Mulerider

Quote:
Most of my power comes from a nuke plant. I am curious how they compare to other forms of generation in cost and output per acre, including the area needed for a water source.
I don't know about cost or output, but thorium molten salt reactors don't require a water source for cooling.

China is building one on the outskirts of the Gobi desert. Its plan is to "build a series of miniature molten salt reactors, each capable of producing 100 megawatts of energy."

I believe India has one under construction as well. Makes sense for India, which has more thorium reserves than any country.

https://www.wionews.com/world/thoriu...reactor-409748
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #37
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I don't know about cost or output, but thorium molten salt reactors don't require a water source for cooling.

China is building one on the outskirts of the Gobi desert. Its plan is to "build a series of miniature molten salt reactors, each capable of producing 100 megawatts of energy."

I believe India has one under construction as well. Makes sense for India, which has more thorium reserves than any country.

https://www.wionews.com/world/thoriu...reactor-409748

I didn't read much on it, looks like it was tried here in experiments in the 50's and 60's. As for space to output ratio if they work it looks like a winner.
On the issue of space to output that is another subject where those pimping

green have a habit of being misleading to say the least. Take for example
"100 megawatts" I would venture a guess that means peak constant running at full capacity on your link. Now go look up solar farms, they could say "100 megawatts" and that could be monthly or yearly output.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 05:13 PM   #38
Mulerider

Quote:
I didn't read much on it, looks like it was tried here in experiments in the 50's and 60's. As for space to output ratio if they work it looks like a winner.
On the issue of space to output that is another subject where those pimping

green have a habit of being misleading to say the least. Take for example
"100 megawatts" I would venture a guess that means peak constant running at full capacity on your link. Now go look up solar farms, they could say "100 megawatts" and that could be monthly or yearly output.
Our Department of Energy collaborated with China in 2012 on thorium reactors. Although China's will be loosely based on our abandoned Oak Ridge Laboratory design, China plans to assert "international intellectual property rights" on its reactor design.

As if China has ever respected anyone else's intellectual property rights, lol.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: