Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 PM   #31
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

that's a fair point Light, as before would be much better than after. On the other hand, 8 out of 8 is nothing to sneeze at. But I'm bending more toward your direction Light, if that's what this program picks (favorites) then once in a great while 8 of 8 will win BUT how could that help? It depends. It could help if the winners keep coming at high enough odds . . .

But I doubt that. So once again the Black Box is not for sale, free or otherwise.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #32
dartman51

Look guys, here's the thing. This is a FREE program. Download the damn thing, run last weeks Santa Anita files(MCP) through it, and if after scratches, you don't get the same winners I posted(with defaults), I'll kiss your ass. What I posted, was simply using the default settings. If everyone who has the program, ran the same files through it, they would get the SAME winners. This is NOT about making decisions on pace lines, jockeys, trainers, layoffs, medication, equipment changes, or a multitude of other things. It's just a quick, simple, load the files, make the scratches, and let the program give you the selections, based on the information it has, from best to worst. What you do with that information, is up to the individule. It wouldn't have mattered if I posted those races BEFORE or AFTER the races had run. There is NO MANIPULATION of figures. I just took what the program gave me. I will tell you this. I didn't have ANY of those winners as I don't play Santa Anita. Too many short fields for my taste. Any information that I post, concerning what the program does, is stictly for those that might be following the programs progression. As I don't have a dog in this hunt, what anyone does with that information is entirely up to them. It's not like I'm trying to convince anyone to buy it. If you think the price is too high, then it's probably not for you anyway.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #33
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Light seems to be quite threatened by the success of HandiFast...

I can't figure out the underlying reason for his continued negativity here in HandiFast land. The program is free, so Light can not hitch his wagon to the fact that past-posting the results in some way generates more profits for the program author...because there are NO sales and thus NO profits to generate (other than by using the program as a wagering tool).

I find it very odd that Light feels the need to rain on your parade at every possible turn. Did you piss him off in a prior lifetime?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 AM   #34
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Light seems to be quite threatened by the success of HandiFast...

I can't figure out the underlying reason for his continued negativity here in HandiFast land. The program is free, so Light can not hitch his wagon to the fact that past-posting the results in some way generates more profits for the program author...because there are NO sales and thus NO profits to generate (other than by using the program as a wagering tool).

I find it very odd that Light feels the need to rain on your parade at every possible turn. Did you piss him off in a prior lifetime?
Back when chat rooms were the rage, there was always a teenager or 2 that would come in the room and raise hell. Light reminds me exactly of the same mentality.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
Old 02-28-2010, 05:42 AM   #35
monistee

Anytime you can come home and say "I had 8 winners". That's a Great Day!
Favorites, or longshots, it still 8 winners! Congrats.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #36
Light
Veteran

You still dont get it. Its meaningless to post what the program did. Everyone with a computer generated handicap program still has to handicap the computer's output. In other words do you believe what its telling you. I could say my program picked the pk6 at track X. All you had to do was play the first 6 digits of a telephone #. Its second choice won,then its 4th choice then its top pick then all its 3rd picks. So if you played telephone # 241-333,you had it. So simple.What's todays lottery...I mean telephone #.This is the same as picking numbers out of a hat.

If the program has all the winners on top,you don't know that beforehand
. You still have to either have blind faith in its picks or just use it as a guide. 99.9% are going to use it as a guide because it's inconsistent. Every program is going to have good days and most likeley the user is not going to capitalize on those days because they dont know when it is crying wolf or not. Get it? As we've seen from Handi's picks,some days totally suck.

So when you guys figure out how to tell when the program is right, you will have achieved a major breakthrough. I've been trying to figure that out for 10 years with my own software that can lay better claims than 8-8 chalky days. Its still irrelevant to my winning if I dont know when its right beforehand.Currently I am modeling its picks but it's still not close to singling its winner. If software developers knew how to figure this out,they would never sell their program or give it away for free.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #37
toetoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fight
at sa today all top winners .

Top implies that multiple horses were picked. What do the geniuses recommend ? Play all the top, bottom and in-between picks ? If all the winners come from 2nd, 3rd or 4th picks, are we still rich ?
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #38
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
What do the geniuses recommend ?
Et tu, double toe? I thought that you had more class than that. Apparently not.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #39
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
Top implies that multiple horses were picked. What do the geniuses recommend ? Play all the top, bottom and in-between picks ? If all the winners come from 2nd, 3rd or 4th picks, are we still rich ?
The man said top pick. He even posted the top picks' scores. What is it you don't understand?

This program's top pick doesn't just pick chalk, it picks the horse that should win, according to the algorithms within the program. It's up to the player whether he wants to bet the top pick, regardless of price, or go with one of the overlays, also offered by the program.

Nobody said it's a black box, it's a tool. But, so far, it works pretty darn good as a black box, as evidenced by Handi and some of the other users.

If you don't like the program then you don't have to use it and you darn sure don't have to exert any effort posting negative comments about it, to users who find it a valuable tool.

So far, I haven't heard of anyone having any costs associated with the use of the program. The program is free and most players have to pay for data anyway. If the program cost money or you had to buy expensive data files then that would be a different situation. But, that's not the case.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
Old 02-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #40
Pace Cap'n

You Handifast guys are getting masterfully trolled by a couple of mutual nuthuggers.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #41
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo

So far, I haven't heard of anyone having any costs associated with the use of the program. The program is free and most players have to pay for data anyway. If the program cost money or you had to buy expensive data files then that would be a different situation. But, that's not the case.
I think there is a bit of an issue here. Bris has several free software programs such as All-ways and Multicaps and the files costs are not cheap. There is a major problem when this supposedly free program requires $5 multicap files or it wont get 8 out of 8. I couldn't even monitor Handi's black box selections because he was getting winners with MC files that $1 Bris data files did not.When I brought up this issue with him during the "black box contest",he said to use multicaps. If that isn't sweeping the issue under the rug,I dont know what is. If I didn't know better,you'd think he gets a cut from MC file sales. If you are making a free program for the general public,then the files it runs on should cost accordingly.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #42
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
If you are making a free program for the general public,then the files it runs on should cost accordingly.
Your logic is as bad as your handicapping.

So as PA suggested, why do you feel so threatened by Handifast? Inquiring minds want to know. Er...not really. You're back on Ignore.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM   #43
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
I think there is a bit of an issue here. Bris has several free software programs such as All-ways and Multicaps and the files costs are not cheap. There is a major problem when this supposedly free program requires $5 multicap files or it wont get 8 out of 8. I couldn't even monitor Handi's black box selections because he was getting winners with MC files that $1 Bris data files did not.When I brought up this issue with him during the "black box contest",he said to use multicaps. If that isn't sweeping the issue under the rug,I dont know what is. If I didn't know better,you'd think he gets a cut from MC file sales. If you are making a free program for the general public,then the files it runs on should cost accordingly.
Let me see if I understand where you're coming from. You think that it is better to spend anywhere from $400 to $1400 for a software program and then you have to sign up for their data downloads for $100+. pr month, as opposed to getting a program for free that will use various downloads? When this first started, the program would use the 50 cent eg files from TSN. Unfortunately, they are not around anymore. No one knows if you can get a high percentage of winners with the $1 BRIS files, or not. I only use the MCP files, because I get unlimited downloads for $60 pr month. It has been said many times in the various threads on Handifast, that it is IN NO WAY to be considered a BLACK BOX. That is why it was given the ability to be adjusted. I would be tickled if ANY software program would give me anywhere near break even figures, right out of the box, with no adjustments, as long as I have the ability to make adjustments to improve the output. This is just that sort of program. I have been testing software programs since 1985 when I got my first 286xt PC. Over the years, I have probably tested over 150 programs. Not one of them would outperform Handifast, right out of the box, with NO TWEAKING. I don't know how good Handifast is, or isn't. It's too soon to tell, and I haven't had a chance to do any real tweaking yet. Don't know how soon I'll be able to do that, as I am working on another project , at the moment.
If it makes you feel better, I posted the selections for TAM in the selections thread this morning. The program did not do all that well. Two wins, three place and one show. That's the number one pick only.
Back you your assesment, I guess if the program is FREE then the data files that it uses should be FREE, but then I guess I already addressed that.
FREE......FREE....FREE....FREE....FREE....FREE.... FREE....FREE....FREE....FREE

Last edited by dartman51; 02-28-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 PM   #44
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I really have to laugh here. I mean I am honestly rolling around on the floor laughing my ass off. Light, I have tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you have finally proven you have the analytical skills of a mosquito!

You honestly are casting dispersions on me and Handifast because the program works better with the mcp files than it does the $1 DRF files? You are the first person I have ever known...heard of...or even thought might ever live that expected a software for horse racing to take into account the failings of a cheaper datafile.

There are numerous members here, maybe too many to count, that have said they prefer one data service over another. And you think that it would be prudent for me to attempt to compensate for the short comings of data files in a program I offer free? Are you insane?

I just explained to Louie, my french Bulldog what you posted, and he smiled as dogs often do and then licked his butt. I can only assume that was in your honor.
I thought at one time you might have some degree of intelligence that would elevate you above the common masses. But brother was I wrong.

I will admit one thing. And that is you are the best and most profitable Handicapper I know, who holds up his successes without ever having to proffer visible proof. It must be a grand place to be, that space between your ears, for the most amazing stuff seems to emanate from there.

God Bless you Grand Wizard of Boastcapping.

Handi
Old 02-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #45
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
Your logic is as bad as your handicapping.
If you are a programmer,then you should be able to follow the flow of logic. I was responding to Raybo,who I quoted as saying there is no cost issue with this software. I did not say freeware files should be free. If $5 MC's are required to get 8 of 8 and you can only get 5 out of 8 with $1 Bris data files as lsosa54 pointed out,then there is an issue. Comprendre?
Closed Thread