Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 PM   #1
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Alex Smith traded to the Skins

This could be huge in the NFC for the skins.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Not surprising, Kirk Cousins would have been due something in the neighborhood of 34 million if the franchise tag were applied to him again and he probably wouldn't have signed a long term deal unless it was in the 27 mill per year range.The Redskins probably figured (correctly) he's not worth that amount of dough.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
pandy

I hope the Jets try to get Cousins.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2018, 01:51 AM   #4
NJ Stinks

I think Cousins has a better chance of leading a team to a championship than Ryan & Dalton.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 AM   #5
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Can't really disagree with that, but it sounds like the euphemism "damning with faint praise."

rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

Egad, Smith is one of those guys whose numbers in the box score look better than what you see with your eyes. He is the quintessential game manager. The Redskins are going to pay a soon to be 34 year old Smith more than they offered Cousins previously. As a Redskin fan I am appalled. Routing for a team led by Captain Checkdown will make you pull your hair out, thank God I am bald.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2018, 08:03 AM   #7
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Egad, Smith is one of those guys whose numbers in the box score look better than what you see with your eyes. He is the quintessential game manager. The Redskins are going to pay a soon to be 34 year old Smith more than they offered Cousins previously. As a Redskin fan I am appalled. Routing for a team led by Captain Checkdown will make you pull your hair out, thank God I am bald.
When Smith originally became a free agent, after playing for a poorly managed and dysfunctional 49ers team, I was praying that the Jets would sign him. But now as the age of 33, I agree with you, if I were a Skins fan, this signing would not be exciting.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
When Smith originally became a free agent, after playing for a poorly managed and dysfunctional 49ers team, I was praying that the Jets would sign him. But now as the age of 33, I agree with you, if I were a Skins fan, this signing would not be exciting.

Smith can win with a stacked team, but the Redskins have a ton of holes to plug. Even if they weren't dysfunctional and owned by Dan Snyder they would at least need a couple years of good drafts to build a contender.
To pay what amounts to a stop gap who turns 34 before next season $23.5 mil a year is just plain dumb. Alex Smith is not the guy who can carry an over matched team to victory. The only upside is he won't make a bunch of mistakes and get his team run off the field. The Redskins will probably be good bets next year as double digit underdogs.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
pandy

Quote:
Smith can win with a stacked team, but the Redskins have a ton of holes to plug. Even if they weren't dysfunctional and owned by Dan Snyder they would at least need a couple years of good drafts to build a contender.
To pay what amounts to a stop gap who turns 34 before next season $23.5 mil a year is just plain dumb. Alex Smith is not the guy who can carry an over matched team to victory. The only upside is he won't make a bunch of mistakes and get his team run off the field. The Redskins will probably be good bets next year as double digit underdogs.
Yeah, good point. He's not a superstar but he does know how to manage an offense and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. But as you say, you need a well rounded team.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

I wanted Cousins to stay in Washington.

That said, the Redskins did something reasonable (did I actually say that) to clarify their QB situation, given that very poor decision making in the past put them in this predicament.

While Cousins is going to get paid very well, I don't think money was his primary motive. Me thinks it is all about getting away from this tremendously dysfunctional organization, who has never really believed in him. Kirk gambled on himself several times, and won.

Soon I am going to have a second team to be rooting for.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
pandy

I gained more respect than ever for him after watching Cousins several times this year. Besides his ability as a passer, I saw him make a few critical first down runs where he clawed and fought for every inch. He's a gamer and I love his attitude.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #12
jay68802

Quote:
Thank God there is always ear hair.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Valuist

Quote:
I think that was the case at one time, but definitely NOT this past season. Smith threw the ball deep downfield on many occasions this year. The Cpt Checkdown is circa 2010-2015. Your Skins had the 6th highest number of turnovers this past season and that number will improve. Nothing against Cousins, who the organization apparently did not like, but he will get paid big somewhere. Cousins will throw for more yards, but passing yardage is the most overrated stat in the NFL.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
reckless
Veteran

I truly hope the Jets sign Cousins.

Major error by Redskins.

Cousins is a much better player than Smith and has a much brighter future.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: