Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Igeteven

Worst card today / Holleywood Park

Today, Hollywood Park put on the worst card I have ever seen here in S. California, tomorrow is about the same.

Are the Trainers sending message?
Igeteven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #17
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igeteven
Today, Hollywood Park put on the worst card I have ever seen here in S. California, tomorrow is about the same.

Are the Trainers sending message?
The weather and the economy are sending a message.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
Igeteven

Vic

I hope you are right on that one,

Lester
Igeteven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

When will someone GET the message - start cutting days - duh.
I'll help them out - I refuse to play crappy race days - haven't played anything in California outside the BC in over a year - don't miss it a bit.
Ditto NYRA...don't need these "past their prime" tracks running on reputation instead of quality.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #20
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer

Bad weather report hurt Hollywood on Thursday. The previous night, rain was expected to start at noon, but they changed the forecast the next day, but people had already planned on not attending.

I dont' like the economy excuse, i think part of the reason is that there's no slots fueled purses. The barns would be overloaded with horses if the purses were packed with slot machine money.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #21
DanG
Easy Goer

The housing market, agriculture, international trade and tourism, the entertainment industry, auto dealers, furniture and building supply stores...etc...

All of these major industries and MANY more have suffered greatly in California and I believe very few of them have gone to cushion track. Just how So Cal’s handle has stayed this high is remarkable to me given all their internal issues.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #22
RichieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
When will someone GET the message - start cutting days - duh.
There it is!

PLEASE will the powers that be out there listen to this man
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #23
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Management embraces the concept of cutting days. In fact management would rather have no live racing and merchandise simulacasting to the public.

The horsemen put up resistance to less racing days and fewer purse opportunitiies.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'm sure the horsemen love 5 horse fields.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 AM   #25
levinmpa

It seems we get this every year toward the end of both Hollywood meetings. In the Spring/Summer, everyone wants to get down to Del Mar. Hollywood really needs to shorten this Fall meeting by at least a week, and go to a 4 day week after Thanksgiving. It was an excellent meeting up until the conclusion of the Fall Turf Festival. The problem is that with Santa Anita's winter meeting opening on the 26th, many owners and trainers just prefer to wait, and run for a larger purse.
levinmpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #26
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinmpa
It seems we get this every year toward the end of both Hollywood meetings. In the Spring/Summer, everyone wants to get down to Del Mar. Hollywood really needs to shorten this Fall meeting by at least a week, and go to a 4 day week after Thanksgiving. It was an excellent meeting up until the conclusion of the Fall Turf Festival. The problem is that with Santa Anita's winter meeting opening on the 26th, many owners and trainers just prefer to wait, and run for a larger purse.

All that is true. However, which group would be more adverse to running four days instead of five, management or horsemen?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #27
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
the economy isn't going to stop tampa, they will be up in handle this upcoming meet, why don't you blame the guys that swindled the race tracks to put in the synthetic.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #28
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Isn't Gulfstream Tampa's competition? Gulfstream is a dirt track, so why does Tampa fill its card with another "dirt" track available on the same circuit?

Maybe the reason for Tampa's cards is about the purse structure and types of horse Tampa caters too and not the surface.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I'm sure the horsemen love 5 horse fields.
Race cards should be put on to draw the customers first, not themselves.

The following is from a current article by the Paulick Report :

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/an...ave-ca-racing/

Quote:
Excerpt:

Lately, however, the Hollywood Park fall meeting merely serves as a reminder of how tired and old horse racing has become in Southern California as it limps to the end of the racing year.

Perhaps we should count our blessings that Hollywood Park is still in business, given its present ownership by a land development company that has a wrecking ball at the ready as soon as it can obtain financing. Its caretaker management team, led by Jack Liebau, who turned Bay Meadows in Northern California into a useless pile of rubble, is doing little more than going through the motions, knowing the end is near. Can they really be blamed? The track is on life support, with Liebau playing the role of assisted suicide doctor Jack Kevorkian, aka Dr. Death.
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #30
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
the economy isn't going to stop tampa, they will be up in handle this upcoming meet, why don't you blame the guys that swindled the race tracks to put in the synthetic.
TBD was affected; just as so many businesses have been. One drive around this community the last couple years and the evidence is obvious.

DRF: http://www.drf.com/news/article/109475.html
Quote:
For much of the last decade, business at Tampa Bay Downs has been on the upswing. But last year, with the economy struggling, betting slipped about 2.5 percent to $3.9 million a day.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply