Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #391
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
You’re not going to tip your hand by working them fast, especially when your making money through the windows too.
Well, that probably worked like twice before everyone caught on. I'm guessing he didn't want to waste the juice effect in a workout. You only get so much result before the horse is, in Navarro's words, "jacked out."
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #392
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Well, that probably worked like twice before everyone caught on. I'm guessing he didn't want to waste the juice effect in a workout. You only get so much result before the horse is, in Navarro's words, "jacked out."
Also, it's much harder to darken a horse's form with workouts in 2020. Workouts are watched. Especially at the track, but even sometimes at training centers. There's a market among handicappers and bettors for good workout information.

There have been countless situations where a horse has worked 50 2/5 or something and Bruno De Julio or other workout analysts have reported that the horse was jumping out of his skin, and then the horse won easily.

The days of keeping the horse's form under wraps by working slowly are basically over.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM   #393
Fightingirish51195

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
NJRC fines him $5000 in September of 2017 they had the ability at that time to get this guy out of Racing but it would’ve decimated Racing at Monmouth Park if he took his 100+ Horses that needs to be looked at!
I heard a rumor that may video may have helped start the investigation, but I have no idea
Old 03-13-2020, 05:49 PM   #394
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The days of keeping the horse's form under wraps by working slowly are basically over.
They just keep the horse's form "bottled up" now.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:59 PM   #395
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Fair or not, you can't help but wonder. I'd already seen a few surprise performances from the third Servis, Tyler.
John's son, I believe?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 06:12 PM   #396
foregoforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightingirish51195 View Post
I heard a rumor that may video may have helped start the investigation, but I have no idea
At the news conference announcing the indictments, the FBI guy was asked how it all got started. He said that it started "on a different case on a different topic altogether, and one thing led to another ..."

He gave no other details. I haven't found any hints in other news reports. But his use of the word "altogether" makes it sound like they weren't looking at horse racing at all, originally.

I'm sure the feds will follow through on this, and it may well lead to more interesting findings and indictments. But I'm not so sure that this signals a sudden interest in the sport by the FBI.
foregoforever is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #397
lex

Interesting that they found it investigating something else. Any horse racing people that have college aged kids that suddenly became crew rowers in college?
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #398
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post
At the news conference announcing the indictments, the FBI guy was asked how it all got started. He said that it started "on a different case on a different topic altogether, and one thing led to another ..."

He gave no other details. I haven't found any hints in other news reports. But his use of the word "altogether" makes it sound like they weren't looking at horse racing at all, originally.

I'm sure the feds will follow through on this, and it may well lead to more interesting findings and indictments. But I'm not so sure that this signals a sudden interest in the sport by the FBI.
That's how the college admissions scandal happened. One of the parents was brought up on stock fraud charges and offered the FBI the college admissions scandal in exchange for leniency.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #399
Suff
Beat up 💪

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #400
GMB@BP

I bet Nick Surick is looking to play lets make a deal, he is looking at 40 years and think he is a young guy.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 10:56 PM   #401
timp

Horse doping case

All should be banned for life.Everyone talks about the bettors getting cheated by this I say what about the trainers and even owners that are trying to win a race to patthere mortgage that month or electric bill and her comes cand ass with his illegal juice and beats him where is that justice there lucky I’m still not racing because they would have more than a problem with fbi to worry about theytook the food right out of working people’s mouth by stealing and cheating.
timp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2020, 11:45 PM   #402
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timp View Post
All should be banned for life.Everyone talks about the bettors getting cheated by this I say what about the trainers and even owners that are trying to win a race to patthere mortgage that month or electric bill and her comes cand ass with his illegal juice and beats him where is that justice there lucky I’m still not racing because they would have more than a problem with fbi to worry about theytook the food right out of working people’s mouth by stealing and cheating.
Spot on post. As with other horsemen-on-horsemen crimes(protection claims, etc..etc) doping has traditionally been met with tolerant silence from victimized peers and little, if any, out-cry for justice.

That seems to be changing in the wake of this ominous scandal, as (supposedly) "clean" horsemen are finally speaking out. But let's see if the very HBPA now scrambling to condemn the already-exposed pariahs actually endorses stiffer penalties and more vigilante testing procedures that potentially hit much closer to home than the circumstances that outed Jason Servis.

Little guys cheat, too, not just 45% trainers breaking the bank in Dubai. Just connect the dots and correlate the disproportionately high number of bad tests incurred by otherwise obscure outfits amidst improbable hot-streaks.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-13-2020 at 11:49 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2020, 12:08 AM   #403
jay68802

The funny thing about this. To me, the drugs they were using look to be pretty cheap. Sort of like the Mexico weed in high school. But, when we had horses, my trainer would charge a extra $45, and I would, as he says, "crawl up his as#". We still sit and have beers together. We all know there is more cheaters out there.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2020, 05:01 AM   #404
Johnny V

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Maxterisk

always thought "Panama Lewis" would be an interesting name for a horse.
He could be trained/ridden by Luis Resto.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #405
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by foregoforever View Post

Wouldn't surprise me for a moment if there's some mob involvement when they dig deep enough. Whether that ever comes to light or not is something else. I strongly suspect racing officials at some tracks know a LOT and haven't done a single thing about it for many years because of 'reasons'.

Last edited by MJC922; 03-18-2020 at 06:16 AM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply