Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
highnote

How to start a new racetrack

There are posts in this topic in the keeneland thread and in off-topic. It seems better to have thread here instead.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM   #2
highnote

If you have not been following here is a summary.

We are calling this new track Bush League Downs.

It will be operated on a shoestring budget but the signal will be distributed worldwide.

This will be a horseplayer friendly track. No rebates, but lowest takeout on the planet, but still high enough that ADW's can profit from handling the signal.

I have been looking for a location and might have found suitable land. Pictures to follow later.

We will raise money for the track through equity crowd funding. That means small investors can own shares in the track.

Lots of small details to workout. But I may have cracked the code for the most important one -- getting enough horses. Details later. Need to talk to some horsemen first to be sure it would work.

Please feel free to comment -- positive and negative welcome. Negative are better because it keeps the project grounded in reality.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Lafecs

Can I have some of what you're smoking? Bush League Downs?
Lafecs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
AlsoEligible

Fine, I'll play along. But first, where is the land located? Jurisdiction will make a world of difference in how many "small details" you have to work out here.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
porchy44

Lets call it "Pinnacle Race Course".
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #6
jimmyb

Here is a place with 100 plus acres for 3.5 mil complete with a 3/4 mile track and 102 stalls to house the vanned in stock. A place to reside completes this.

https://www.ocalahorseproperties.com...farm-for-sale/
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #7
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
If you have not been following here is a summary.

We are calling this new track Bush League Downs.

It will be operated on a shoestring budget but the signal will be distributed worldwide.

This will be a horseplayer friendly track. No rebates, but lowest takeout on the planet, but still high enough that ADW's can profit from handling the signal.

I have been looking for a location and might have found suitable land. Pictures to follow later.

We will raise money for the track through equity crowd funding. That means small investors can own shares in the track.

Lots of small details to workout. But I may have cracked the code for the most important one -- getting enough horses. Details later. Need to talk to some horsemen first to be sure it would work.

Please feel free to comment -- positive and negative welcome. Negative are better because it keeps the project grounded in reality.
I assume you're serious.

I'd advise you to get the financials from an existing track so you have some clue about the costs for running a track.

Here's an article for you to read:

https://www.theracingbiz.com/2017/03...rests-regroup/

You'll glean from the article that it costs $30-$40 million to build a track, and costs $2 million or so to just maintain it yearly. Every time you have to replace the track surface, it's about $5 million a pop. And we haven't even gotten into staff salary.

I'm real interested in hearing how you think you'll get the horses and horsemen to your new track.

I'd look at leasing an existing plant, not building a new one, by the way. Even that is no easy task, as I know of several entities who have tried to lease facilities over the past years to no avail.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 04:17 AM   #8
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I assume you're serious.

I'd advise you to get the financials from an existing track so you have some clue about the costs for running a track.

Here's an article for you to read:

https://www.theracingbiz.com/2017/03...rests-regroup/

You'll glean from the article that it costs $30-$40 million to build a track, and costs $2 million or so to just maintain it yearly. Every time you have to replace the track surface, it's about $5 million a pop. And we haven't even gotten into staff salary.

I'm real interested in hearing how you think you'll get the horses and horsemen to your new track.

I'd look at leasing an existing plant, not building a new one, by the way. Even that is no easy task, as I know of several entities who have tried to lease facilities over the past years to no avail.
Interesting, but if Bush League Downs (BLD) tries to be like the other tracks it will get the same results.

To be successful a completely different approach is needed.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:36 AM   #9
sour grapes
Veteran

this is complete fantasy,tracks are losing tons of money and you think you can change the economics of this game,Reality check is that only the strong will survive,in fact their is a long thread on how contraction is needed for the game to survive so more horses filter to the better tracks with bigger fields.Good luck though.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 10:17 AM   #10
jimmyb

A better starting point may be to find what the Tracks do well and work it from there. Also, some new ideas may be good in theory, but not in practical use.

Some things they do well are, the wagering menus, frequent odds updates, replay monitors, simulcast up the ying-yang, instant access to cash.

Feel free to add.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
elhelmete

No business model/operational details, no specified location/jurisdiction, no details about your secret idea to attract a horde of horses. But please comment...???????
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #12
Parkview_Pirate

In theory, BLD could make a splash with low takeouts, high quality racing - especially if the horseplayer felt he/she was getting a more fair shake in terms of monitoring the game (no race day meds, penalize jocks for boat rides, ban for life when using buzzers, secure tote controls, etc.)

In reality, like any other business today, BLD would have to overcome the governmental regulations, made even worse by the fact that racing is "evil" gambling. The sport has a long history of politicians wanting their grease to allow it. It would be difficult to overcome the existing power structure, including the horsemen's groups, in states where racing is active.

And most importantly, the economy and people with discretionary income to wager on the races and own horses is continuing to shrink. Short of support of a member or two of the .001% like Bill Gates or Warren Buffett (after first talking them off their "charitable" interests), BLD is a non-starter....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 01:50 PM   #13
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
In theory, BLD could make a splash with low takeouts, high quality racing - especially if the horseplayer felt he/she was getting a more fair shake in terms of monitoring the game (no race day meds, penalize jocks for boat rides, ban for life when using buzzers, secure tote controls, etc.)

In reality, like any other business today, BLD would have to overcome the governmental regulations, made even worse by the fact that racing is "evil" gambling. The sport has a long history of politicians wanting their grease to allow it. It would be difficult to overcome the existing power structure, including the horsemen's groups, in states where racing is active.

And most importantly, the economy and people with discretionary income to wager on the races and own horses is continuing to shrink. Short of support of a member or two of the .001% like Bill Gates or Warren Buffett (after first talking them off their "charitable" interests), BLD is a non-starter....
Anyone that doesn't see the significance of these highlighted statements will never successfully change this game to any degree.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
highnote

Some racing takes place in jurisdictions that do not allow pari-mutuel racing. Is there anything to stop those tracks from selling their signal to ADWs even though on-track betting not allowed?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
No business model/operational details, no specified location/jurisdiction, no details about your secret idea to attract a horde of horses. But please comment...???????
I only started posting about this a few days ago in response to the uproar about Keeneland. And you want to see a location and business plan!

I said that the track would need to be located near a population center. It probably doesn't make sense to have it in northwest North Dakota. But it makes sense to have it somewhere in the Midwest where land prices are reasonable.

It might be possible to lease land. It makes sense to have a grass course because it is practically already built by nature.

Whoever said anything about attracting a horde of horses?