Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #1
Half Smoke

how ADWs changed the way we bet

of course, ADWs have had some enormous positive impacts on how a player can participate in betting racing

everybody knows this; the ease, the reduction or elimination of fees, the bonuses, the ability to bet from any location, etc.

but this post is not about that - it's about the other ways ADWs have impacted players

First: the big one - compared to the old days, when either at the track or at a simulcast facility, at the end of the day, if we won, we don't have the money in our pockets - it's in a digital holding site

for some, for probably many, the fact that the money is in the account and so easy to bet increases the likelihood that we will make bets that we would not make if we were forced to drive back and forth to a facility

so for many, the likelihood of us making bets that we do not really consider to be good or advantageous bets is greatly increased

not just that, since for me that hasn't been a problem - but not leaving a facility with money in my pocket has reduced my enjoyment of the game - it's just not the same

I can already hear the pros on the site pointing out that these 2 points reflect an unprofessional and immature response to ADW betting

granted, but nonetheless, a great many players are not pros operating at a very high level and so these points are IMO worth mentioning

the 2nd big issue is the bonuses offered. of course, everybody loves bonuses and I wouldn't be so foolish as to suggest that players shouldn't take advantage of the various bonuses offered

but nonetheless, bonuses obviously influence the player to bet more and more - and for some - likely for more than a small % - the bonuses are causing players to make bets they don't really consider to be good bets or advantageous bets

and also, there is the social aspect, or the lack of a social aspect. in going to a track or facility a player was part of a crowd and could sometimes find interesting conversation or amusement with other players - and yes, there was also annoyance with obnoxious screamers and losers - but to me, that negative was much less than the positive impact of socializing with others

just some thoughts I'm throwing out there - I'm well aware that not everyone will agree and that many will strongly disagree

Last edited by Half Smoke; 11-14-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
pandy

I don't disagree with anything you said, but, overall, the handle in the most popular wagers, like exactas and trifectas, is considerably higher than it was years ago. The rebates offered by ADW's make it much more possible to overcome the takeout. Another advantage compared to years ago is being able to play any track you want.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
jay68802

Most importantly, the ADW's became just another finger in the pie. Decreasing the amount of $ that go to the purse account of all tracks. And making it more likely that takeout will remain high.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Most importantly, the ADW's became just another finger in the pie. Decreasing the amount of $ that go to the purse account of all tracks. And making it more likely that takeout will remain high.
And yet, it allows you and I to bet without being at a physical track.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
thaskalos

The only advantage that horse racing has to offer is the convenience connected with the service that the ADWs present. Take that away...and the game won't even be a blip on the gambling radar.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 03:40 AM   #6
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The only advantage that horse racing has to offer is the convenience connected with the service that the ADWs present. Take that away...and the game won't even be a blip on the gambling radar.

I wasn't suggesting it should be taken away or that we would be better off without it - that will never happen

my point was that for some, it might be beneficial to think about how it has changed (if indeed it has and I would surmise that it has) changed their wagering style - and if it has, as I'm suggesting, influenced them to make a great many more bets, to think whether or not that has been a positive thing

Last edited by Half Smoke; 11-16-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
I wasn't suggesting it should be taken away or that we would be better off without it - that will never happen

my point was that for some, it might be beneficial to think about how it has changed (if indeed it has and I would surmise that it has) changed their wagering style - and if it has, as I'm suggesting, influenced them to make a great many more bets, to think whether or not that has been a positive thing
I can only speak from my own personal experience, which tells me that the online betting experience has been beneficial to me...both financially and psychologically. Yes...it was better and more empowering when I left the track or the OTB with my winnings folded in my back pocket. But on the losing days...the loss was much more "real" when I actually saw that the money that I had in my pocket earlier in the day was no longer my own. With online betting...I fund my account and that money is quickly out of my mind. I bet with it and the account balance goes up and down...but I'm not as emotionally attached to it because I'm not operating "out-of-pocket", so to speak.

Plus...I used to stay longer at the track and the OTB than I do now at my computer. It took considerable time for me to get to a live betting place...and I felt obligated to stay there for a considerable length of time in order to justify my travelling time. Plus, I found acquaintances there who prolonged my stay even longer...usually to my detriment. Now when I cash a decent online bet, it's easier for me to walk away from my computer and turn on the TV, read a book...or go out and get something to eat. I don't feel as confined when I am at home as I did when I was betting "live". Even the "change in my betting style" has been for the better, I think. I have a wide selection of bets available to me, I survey my wagers carefully...and I have the distraction-free environment that such an undertaking demands.

For me...it has been an altogether pleasant experience.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
Nitro

I would have to agree with many of the things Thaskalos mentions about the ADW having a positive impact on my game as well. I believe it’s primarily caused by the elimination of all the distractions found at the track or an OTB.

The only thing I really miss is observing the horses in the paddock or walking ring. The physicality factors are always a significant part of the game. Fortunately, when playing Hong Kong the announcers there spend a good deal of pre-race time inspecting and commenting on each and every entry’s physical appearance. They also have the knowledge to indicate if there’s been any significant changes from a previous race. This type of detailed commentary is something that’s definitely missing from Stateside televised racing. They seem to think viewing past re-run races is more important.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
dilanesp

The reality is that beyond the true compulsive gamblers (who obviously need to get out of whatever games they are betting) there are a lot of ostensibly sensible and intelligent bettors who nonetheless can have compulsive tendencies. These exist in every game where there is advantage play. There are poker players who play too many hands (and online players who play too many tables) or play too high stakes, there are sports bettors who bet too many games, there are stock traders who make too many trades, etc.

And obviously making it super-easy to bet a far greater number of races is going to bring out that tendency in horseplayers. People are going to bet tracks they don't follow or know very well, bet races they don't really have a strong edge in, and just bet too many races overall.

One of the big reasons it is very hard to win money in any form of advantage gambling is because one of the reasons people are attracted to gambling in the first place- and again, not only the true problem gamblers- is the action.

And further, it's also human nature to want to have expert opinions on lots of things that we aren't qualified to have expert opinions on. A great example of that phenomenon is all the people who moved over from sports betting to political punditry (some of whom moved over again to become epidemiologists this year). The tendency is to think that you have an expert opinion on any race you look at.

At bottom unless you are very lucky or have connections, it's very hard to succeed at anything worthwhile in life without a lot of discipline. Which means knowing what you don't know and having enormous patience. In poker, that means sitting at a table and just folding over and over again if all you are getting is crap cards in bad situations. And in horse racing, it means not betting stuff where you don't have any edge.

Last edited by dilanesp; 11-16-2020 at 08:06 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #10
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

And further, it's also human nature to want to have expert opinions on lots of things that we aren't qualified to have expert opinions on.
Perhaps the greatest moment of unintentional introspection in Internet history.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 09:11 PM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Perhaps the greatest moment of unintentional introspection in Internet history.
Andy, if anything I said in that post was false, you should point it out. Because otherwise you are just once again jumping into a thread to insult me.

It's truly sad that you don't have better things to do.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #12
iamt

Quote:
Andy, if anything I said in that post was false, you should point it out. Because otherwise you are just once again jumping into a thread to insult me.

It will however give plenty of people a bit of a chuckle...
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2020, 09:59 PM   #13
the little guy

Quote:

On the other hand, this would not be considered an introspective moment.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2020, 04:33 AM   #14
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
..and I have the distraction-free environment that such an undertaking demands.
Thats a big one for me.

But since track is only a few miles from me, it's pretty easy to go. I will often make my wagers at home in distraction-free environment, then physically go for the live racing experience.

But my very favorite thing to do which requires going to the track in person, is to go w/out any data at all, and use only physicality handicapping.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #15
rrpic6

When betting at home on an ADW, the following things have never happened to me: No one has taken my 1) DRF/BRIS programs 2) my chair 3) cash laying out on the bar. All of these have happened to me more than once when I've gotten up to make a bet. The amount of tickets punched wrongly has also decreased, but only by a small margin!

RR

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: