Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #1
BarchCapper

One obvious 12/26 Santa Anita absentee

DRF reporting that Jerry Hollendorfer sending a decent sized string to Oaklawn. A number of other SoCal names (many who are moving their “newer” Kentucky sets) are mentioned in the article.

https://www.drf.com/news/hollendorfe...r-oaklawn-park

The fields will be even more interesting this year than last!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
clicknow

I'm happy to see Ancient Warrior. and whoever else he brings.

I think Hollendorfer is and has been up against a very tough situation. I don't know enough about it, or him, to have an opinion about it either way.

I hope everything is eventually settled in a manner that is good for the horses and everyone, all around.

In the meantime he is doing what he can with the options available to him. Who knows, maybe he will fall in love with Arkansas. Many people do.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

He killed another horse on Saturday. Koa. It looks like most trainers stayed in the barn that morning with only 3 workers, one of which was trained by Hollendorfer (another horse, not Koa). The other 2 are unraced so no trainer listed for them.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
He killed another horse on Saturday. Koa. It looks like most trainers stayed in the barn that morning with only 3 workers, one of which was trained by Hollendorfer (another horse, not Koa). The other 2 are unraced so no trainer listed for them.
Come on man, you can't say he killed the horse. That is going too far IMO.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
DRF reporting that Jerry Hollendorfer sending a decent sized string to Oaklawn. A number of other SoCal names (many who are moving their “newer” Kentucky sets) are mentioned in the article.

https://www.drf.com/news/hollendorfe...r-oaklawn-park

The fields will be even more interesting this year than last!
The thing is, we kind of have to do this. It's not like continuing business as usual was an option.

So we're going to have some terrible fields. Fewer race days. All true. But at least if we do this, the rest of the industry may eventually catch up to us and then we have a future in Southern California. Whereas if we just do what we were doing, you're going to get an initiative on the ballot that would kill the sport in the state.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Come on man, you can't say he killed the horse. That is going too far IMO.
How many have to die under his care before you realize that he is nowhere as careful as he should be therefore they aren’t freak accidents and he’s responsible?
Old 12-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The thing is, we kind of have to do this. It's not like continuing business as usual was an option.

So we're going to have some terrible fields. Fewer race days. All true. But at least if we do this, the rest of the industry may eventually catch up to us and then we have a future in Southern California. Whereas if we just do what we were doing, you're going to get an initiative on the ballot that would kill the sport in the state.
That initiative ? Deserved maybe?
Old 12-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
clicknow

Quote:
He killed another horse on Saturday.
Hyperbolic much?

Okay, explain in a logical fashion exactly how this horse was put at risk, how this wasn't a freak accident, and exactly how it could be prevented.

Not arguing, just asking for a better explanation than what you posted.

Last edited by clicknow; 12-04-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Hyperbolic much?

Okay, explain in a logical fashion exactly how this horse was put at risk, how this wasn't a freak accident, and exactly how it could be prevented.

Not arguing, just asking for a better explanation than what you posted.
What's to explain? There is a reason why some trainers rarely have horses die on the track and why other trainers have them happen too often. It's called not being conscientious stewards of those horses (and not being careful enough either with the lives of the riders on their backs).

Only 3 horses worked on the track that morning. One of them was Hollendorfer's (the other two are unknown as unraced and no trainer listed). Other trainers obviously decided to not go out that morning, but there's Jerry, sending his out and what do you know, one breaks down and dies.

How many does this make? Seven in a year?

You want to defend this?
Old 12-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
BarchCapper

Quote:
What's to explain? There is a reason why some trainers rarely have horses die on the track and why other trainers have them happen too often. It's called not being conscientious stewards of those horses (and not being careful enough either with the lives of the riders on their backs).

Only 3 horses worked on the track that morning. One of them was Hollendorfer's (the other two are unknown as unraced and no trainer listed). Other trainers obviously decided to not go out that morning, but there's Jerry, sending his out and what do you know, one breaks down and dies.

How many does this make? Seven in a year?

You want to defend this?
A couple of “balancing” thoughts/questions, not necessarily defenses:

As far as that morning at Del Mar went, do we know that the track was open all morning for regular training? Do we know how many were still left in the barns at Del Mar to even be out on the track since it was closing weekend?

As far as Hollendorfer goes, a raw number of breakdowns doesn’t tell the whole story. Last year, and through the first half of this year, Hollendorfer was one of the leading trainers in terms of starts. Just like we do with the track statistics, the ratio rather than the raw number is probably the better measure (of course, this latest was a morning incident).

Also as far as Hollendorfer goes, I could be remembering incorrectly, but when this was all happening in June, I heard that just as it was for Santa Anita, this year was an aberrant spike in fatalities for Hollendorfer vs. prior years. Again, I could be remembering incorrectly, or the information I heard through whatever media outlet could have been incorrect.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
How many have to die under his care before you realize that he is nowhere as careful as he should be therefore they aren’t freak accidents and he’s responsible?
I think the guy is far from a saint, but saying he killed the horse is a bit too much in my opinion. It isn't like I deleted the post or anything, just giving my opinion. I personally have no problem with Santa Anita banning him.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #12
delsully
Veteran

Quote:
I think the guy is far from a saint, but saying he killed the horse is a bit too much in my opinion. It isn't like I deleted the post or anything, just giving my opinion. I personally have no problem with Santa Anita banning him.
I don’t like saying it, but at this point, I just wish he’d go away.
delsully is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
I understand, yet it's accurate in my book. There is a reason why his fellow trainers and owners aren't stepping up to defend him.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #14
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
A couple of “balancing” thoughts/questions, not necessarily defenses:

As far as that morning at Del Mar went, do we know that the track was open all morning for regular training? Do we know how many were still left in the barns at Del Mar to even be out on the track since it was closing weekend?

As far as Hollendorfer goes, a raw number of breakdowns doesn’t tell the whole story. Last year, and through the first half of this year, Hollendorfer was one of the leading trainers in terms of starts. Just like we do with the track statistics, the ratio rather than the raw number is probably the better measure (of course, this latest was a morning incident).

Also as far as Hollendorfer goes, I could be remembering incorrectly, but when this was all happening in June, I heard that just as it was for Santa Anita, this year was an aberrant spike in fatalities for Hollendorfer vs. prior years. Again, I could be remembering incorrectly, or the information I heard through whatever media outlet could have been incorrect.
I ran the numbers a couple months ago, and JH had a higher percentage, so it's not just raw numbers I looked at. Part of his high number of starts though is that he runs his horses a lot (when some maybe shouldn't be running).

JH said himself that he hadn't had any fatalities in X time, and people accepted that as truth. A discussion either at this forum or another named horses of his, however, that had suffered on-track fatalities during that time. The claim was false.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
clicknow

Quote:
There is a reason why his fellow trainers and owners aren't stepping up to defend him.
Then maybe you can explain why the opposite doesn't occur either: i.e. trainers and owners seeing bad actors acting badly, and they don't step up to help put a stop to it, or report it.