Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap View Post
What constitutes 20% of capacity at Belmont? The place has seating capacity of almost 33,000 (including picnic tables and benches but not sitting on the grass). NYRA lists total capacity at 90,000+.

So will they limit attendance to 6,600 or 18,000? NYRA did not say. Guess they're getting guidance from the state.
Yeah, if you go by the Belmont attendance record, 20 percent could be over 20,000 .
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #17
classhandicapper

It's an interesting question because outside of Belmont Stakes day and maybe a few other super cards, Belmont rarely reaches 20%. The flip side is that prior to the pandemic some of the grandstand was closed. So the capacity should probably be calculated based on how many sections are actually open. Based on my experience at Belmont, capacity is not going to be an issue no matter what the details are. Maybe there's so much pent up demand opening day/weekend attendance will be bigger than usual, but after that I can't imagine a problem.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:17 PM   #18
burnsy
self medicated

https://dailygazette.com/2021/04/14/...-in-2021-meet/

Saratoga is going for 10,000 if the state allows counting the outdoor part. Other wise it’s 2300 or so. What’s the sense of getting vaccinated if places don’t open? I mean, I’m glad I did, but I was hoping part of the deal was getting a semi normal summer. NY is ok , it’s nice here, but sometimes you have to grin and bare the Ninnyism of it all.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2021, 10:48 PM   #19
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Why are you glad you got vaccinated?...Who or what convinced you?
No one really. But I don’t want to get sick. I have a couple “conditions “ so if it works, it’s worth it. But I’m not gonna lie I like doing shit. Let me in! Open up. Not like I’m scared I went on vacation anyway this winter. But I’m saying anyone that got vaccine should be in. Or is it not 95 %? Or is it another NY control deal? I’m not getting any younger shit should be open if this shot works.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:50 PM   #20
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Thanks for the honest reply....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2021, 10:55 PM   #21
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Thanks for the honest reply....
Yeah, it’s almost 50% I want to get in places
Old 04-16-2021, 11:57 PM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
No one really. But I don’t want to get sick. I have a couple “conditions “ so if it works, it’s worth it. But I’m not gonna lie I like doing shit. Let me in! Open up. Not like I’m scared I went on vacation anyway this winter. But I’m saying anyone that got vaccine should be in. Or is it not 95 %? Or is it another NY control deal? I’m not getting any younger shit should be open if this shot works.
Especially in blue states, the vaccination rates are very significant. I thought regulators were being underprotective last year, but people are now underplaying the obvious benefit of the vaccine and how safe it will be for vaccinated people to gather. As long as everyone is required to show a proof of vaccination, there's no reason not to open racetracks wide open. The vaccines work and give rise to herd immunity as well.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:14 AM   #23
HorsemenHeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Especially in blue states, the vaccination rates are very significant. I thought regulators were being underprotective last year, but people are now underplaying the obvious benefit of the vaccine and how safe it will be for vaccinated people to gather. As long as everyone is required to show a proof of vaccination, there's no reason not to open racetracks wide open. The vaccines work and give rise to herd immunity as well.
Why require proof of vaccination? Once everyone who wants a vaccine can get one, it should be your personal problem if you decide not to and get Covid. Open it up!
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2021, 10:25 AM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Why require proof of vaccination? Once everyone who wants a vaccine can get one, it should be your personal problem if you decide not to and get Covid. Open it up!
Because:

1. We aren't at full herd immunity quite yet, so large groups can still be a problem if there are unvaccinated folks.
and
2. There seems to be a significant number of people looking to avoid taking the vaccine and relying on others who take it. The more places out there requiring vaccination, the higher the vaccination rate will be.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:08 AM   #25
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I agree. But my problem with the Blue State , Red State deal is the political part is maddening. It’s a virus , if you are old or have medical/immunity issues you can die. I have one friend, that liked horse racing die from it and another given a 10% chance survive . Guy was sick for months and lost 40 pounds. Most people don’t even get that sick at all ..... but the shit is real. The politics as they are (everything is some non logical food fight) . You got people on the Red side denying the problem . I guess “freedom “ means spreading this crap indiscriminately . The Blue side is shut too much down and control that ruins business and commerce. The logic of taking action , pre cautions and trying to keep things normal is out the window. You know, the best way to combat a problem. People are pretty much “ Political Boobs” on almost every subject. My problem here in NY is if you’ve been vaccinated and it works like they claim it does. Open up, just like others are saying. The bitching between both sides is ridiculous. One side, no mask , hacking on each other...... here in NY , the opposite.... curfews on bars and dining.....like the virus knows what time it is? I just gotta laugh watching people argue over this and everything else under the sun. And 9 times out of 10, both sides are extreme and wrong

Last edited by burnsy; 04-17-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:34 AM   #26
airford1

NTRA wont open up because they dont want to have their fan base to die off. Y'all know you Geezers are the ones that have the highest death rate from the Corona. Just saying
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I would think anywhere at Belmont would be be safer than any grocery store, no matter how many people are there.

btw, this geezer had it and has no fear of it. It seems to be the younger folks who are scared to death of living a normal life.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #28
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I would think anywhere at Belmont would be be safer than any grocery store, no matter how many people are there.
Being in the back near the paddock taking in the spring and summer sun at Belmont is probably one of the safest places you can possibly be...maybe not for your bankroll...but for your health.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:59 PM   #29
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

btw, this geezer had it and has no fear of it. It seems to be the younger folks who are scared to death of living a normal life.
Same here had it this time last year, spent 4 days in the Hospital and 6 weeks on Oxygen. Just got back from a 10 state road trip and a weekend camping at a Desert race in California. Not a mask in sight at the weekend racing.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #30
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You know, I deleted RR's question "Why are you glad you got vaccinated?...Who or what convinced you?" because I DIDN'T WANT THIS TO ****ING TURN INTO ANOTHER ****ING OFF-TOPIC DEBATE here in the racing section.

But I guess burnsy replied while I was deleting it, and all my good intentions went to waste.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: