Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #76
mountainman

Admittedly, it's just me-a complete DINOSAUR, but I prefer callers that don't gush like Christ has just descended to earth every time a horse wins by 10.

I could give several reasons I find this objectionable, but let's start with the simplest: Players that bet somebody else don't want it rubbed in. And you can count me as one of those players.

Again, merely a matter of my own preferences, and not intended as criticism of any caller. I get why some do it. And respect that approach. Some dramatists are very popular and skilled at the craft.

Last edited by mountainman; 04-12-2021 at 06:31 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 06:59 PM   #77
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Admittedly, it's just me-a complete DINOSAUR, but I prefer callers that don't gush like Christ has just descended to earth every time a horse wins by 10.
You want the late Marshall Cassidy. Here he is calling two of the greatest 10 length wins in history:

dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #78
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
LOL - a very matter-of-fact "Easy Goer has the lead" . . . as he's just about to cross the wire winning by 10 lengths in track record time. Not sure you can get more Joe Friday than that in a race call
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 09:19 PM   #79
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I acknowledge outstanding performances just like any other sports announcer doing play by play. That's his third hit of the game. He's got 10 strikes outs. That three pointer gives him 30 points. He's a 100 yard rusher.

We'd like to make our top performers celebrities that the public roots for and admires just like any other sport.

Sorry you're losing. Perhaps we can help on Oaklawn Today. A hour and a half before each racing day.

Kidding aside, I'm genuinely a fan, and tune in often to the Oaklawn cards.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #80
dryrunguy

As a general rule, I try to avoid criticizing people who are doing things I have 1) never even tried to do, and 2) would almost certainly not do well.

Vic and Craig, you both do a fine job. It's a tough gig coming up with good material in a split second while simultaneously getting everything else right 100% of the time.
dryrunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 10:51 PM   #81
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Not sure who you are referring to, and obviously Grunder has never shown an interest in learning names beforehand, but I know quite a few announcers and they all are meticulous about trying to get the correct pronunciations of every horse's name. Doesn't mean you always get it right, but my experience is that they do their best.

Grunder is obviously in a class by himself...his call of Stuy Town Baby over the weekend was particularly painful for any New Yorker to deal with.

This thought really isn't at anyone particular cause there are mistakes to be heard almost everywhere, especially annoying when a lauded one like Trevor D doesn't seem to care though.

Vic, thanks for your account of the TKOTCHKE call from this weekend, that is one that perked up my ears, and not for the better, but a valid explanation. However, you may want to take a look at Fouette if you're ever calling her again. I give all the credit to Johnny I for being on the ball with this one back in Saratoga.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 11:00 PM   #82
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
especially annoying when a lauded one like Trevor D doesn't seem to care though.
Not quite sure why you've singled out Trevor, as he hasn't called a race since 2019...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 11:11 PM   #83
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Not quite sure why you've singled out Trevor, as he hasn't called a race since 2019...
It was v j stauffer who singled out Trevor Denman, recounting some story about a non-existent horse that raced in California whose name Denman failed to pronounce accurately.

Quote:
Some won't change even of you try to help. There used to be a horse in CA named RAPIDO. Trevor would call him RAP-E-DOUGH. I told him it was RA-PEE-DOUGH. Totally blew me off. Hey, he's Trevor.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 11:18 PM   #84
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

I could give several reasons I find this objectionable, but let's start with the simplest: Players that bet somebody else don't want it rubbed in. And you can count me as one of those players.

Again, merely a matter of my own preferences, and not intended as criticism of any caller. I get why some do it. And respect that approach. Some dramatists are very popular and skilled at the craft.
Agree thoroughly
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 11:53 PM   #85
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
However, you may want to take a look at Fouette if you're ever calling her again. I give all the credit to Johnny I for being on the ball with this one back in Saratoga.

Give the credit to Acacia. It's a ballet term and she is the one that told us when she first ran.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 PM   #86
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Tebowing and Ginobili come to mind right away.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 12:06 AM   #87
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Tebowing and Ginobili come to mind right away.
You've got a younger and better memory than me....BTW, Trevor follows soccer only.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:15 AM   #88
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
You've got a younger and better memory than me....BTW, Trevor follows soccer only.
Plenty pop culture things too. I don't care, but it is funny as hell.

Oh, and he used to butcher Bayern too if memory serves (everyone did) so I'm not buying the soccer thing. 🤣
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2021, 12:24 AM   #89
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Plenty pop culture things too. I don't care, but it is funny as hell.

Oh, and he used to butcher Bayern too if memory serves (everyone did) so I'm not buying the soccer thing. 🤣
Once I leave the track I don’t do racing at all,” Denman said. “I follow two horses I have that run in South Africa and maybe some English racing. But once I break from the track, I break from it. I did not watch the [Kentucky] Derby until a few days later. I’m really into soccer and that takes precedence.”

Denman said one of his favorite days in semi-retirement happened recently during the European Championship and the Copa America tournaments, when he watched soccer from 9 a.m. until midnight.

https://www.racingfuture.com/content...el-mar-meeting
Old 04-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #90
v j stauffer

So did a mess up FOUETTE?

What's the story with her.

I was told FOO-ET

Wrong?