Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #46
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
I'm inclined to agree. I originally thought the Wood was a little more honest pace but the 3/4 call was pretty much the same as the Bluegrass. I have a feeling both horses will be in a good spot for the charge provided the trip goes well. I already bet them both in the Future pools. It's just a matter of which one I use more Derby day which might boil down to how the horse looks on the track and the post draw. I'll prefer a Vino/Bolt since I accidentally made a $3 box in Pool 3 that pays 860-1.

I cannot rule it out but he doesn't look like an AP to me... and AP had to really work to win the Derby. We've seen this game before... Dunkirk, Bellamy Road, Goldencents... and on and on. Since freaks are so rare I'm going to bet on the assumption he isn't a freak. If I'm wrong then I will miss out on a 5-2 favorite and $20 exacta then wheel him in the Preakness.
AP was a really good horse who happened to catch a really bad year in racing. Good for him but freak...meh

Best horse he ever beat...Effinex (RIP)
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #47
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
AP was a really good horse who happened to catch a really bad year in racing. Good for him but freak...meh

Best horse he ever beat...Effinex (RIP)
I merely used him as a convenient comparison given he was perhaps the biggest buzz horse of the decade, though some Chromies might dispute that. AP did beat a lot of nw2 other than maiden until the Breeders Cup but was still a treat to watch. Justify doesn't move quite like him nor does he seem to have that extra gear. I think Justify has a better chance being the next Goldencents than the next AP but we shall see. What's the difference between Justify and Dunkirk (2006) at this point in their careers? About three lengths in final prep.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #48
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
What's the difference between Justify and Dunkirk (2006) at this point in their careers? About three lengths in final prep.
Running style for one. Dunkirk settled off the pace in his first 3 starts.

Also, one could conceivably draw a line through Dunkirk's Kentucky Derby effort. In addition to the sloppy sealed track, Dunkirk stumbled badly 2 or 3 strides after the break and was pinballed around as his jock tried to gain position heading for the first turn.

The horse certainly rebounded well in the Belmont, where he adopted a new front-running style and staved off two seperate challenges at the head of the stretch before yielding late to Summer Bird. Came out of the race with a broken leg and never ran again.

If Dunkirk is an example for Justify its that: (1) an inexperienced colt is unlikely to recover from any sort of adversity in the Kentucky Derby and (2) a horse rushed to make it to the classics is probably more at-risk for injury during the campaign.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #49
Secondbest

Latest odds from the Wynn have him at 7-1 tied with Mendelsohn for 3rd choice after Justify at 5/2 and Magnum Moon at 5-1.
Thats a big spread from Justify to the second choice.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2018, 08:02 AM   #50
PoloUK6108

He was down to 11/2 second choice last check at Wynn yesterday. Justify 14/5
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2018, 07:14 PM   #51
PoloUK6108

Just an appreciation post..

Good job buddy, I wanted it bad for ya. Hope you're not retired way too soon. Expecting big things.
PoloUK6108 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #52
horses4courses

Good Magic

Checking out his digs at Pimlico today along with Baldo Hernandez,
assistant to Chad Brown.

horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #53
Grits

Doesn't he look fantastic!!!

Those ears are straight up with curiosity!!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply