Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #46
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by madera12227
if Bayern does not affect Moreno. Bayern might of tired out because Moreno was going to run next to him. Tuff call for the stewards to make. However, the Santa Anita steward are never consistent. They are horrible when it comes to fairness.
Its irrelevant; you cannot automatically assume Moreno would've battled Bayern. I think it would've been suicide if Moreno did try to go after him.

What Pride of New York did, which was clearly after the start, was worse.

Last edited by Valuist; 11-02-2014 at 12:23 AM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 12:26 AM   #47
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If you watch the start of steeplechase races, the horse are all over the place, they're not starting at the same time.....those are very long races run at very slow paces, so if a horse gets a neck or 1/2 length better start than another horse, it doesn't matter. In a sprint race, its going to matter, that would be tricky to pull off.
Yep "right again" on this,(your on a roll) if racing wont change the time between races on the Triple Crown, they sure wont get rid of the gate or the rail in our life time........
Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #48
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Its not really horseracing if you do it on purpose. As far as a "giant race" goes, is there a difference in the color of the money that the bettors get paid vs hitting the 4th at Charlestown on a rainy Monday? Personally, any bet i make is a "big race" its my super bowl, i could care less what the purse is for the owners, its all the same to the bettors.
Whatever...
Blah.
Blah.
Blah.
4th at Charlestown.
My Super Bowl.....rainy Monday.
Color of Money.
Give it a rest.
You bitch and moan about every DQ you see,and now when one gets left up you bitch and moan about that.
Newsflash.....You can't have it both ways.
The stewards weren't going to take a horse down in the Classic for drilling another horse out of the gate.
That's the reality of it.
Key words there SRU.....Reality.
Try it sometime.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #49
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I believe Bayern should have come down.
His action at the start caused Shared Belief and Moreno to bump heads, and who knows what kind of damage that did.

Yes, I bet Toast Of New York
Old 11-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #50
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Nice to see racing is getting the same credibility as WWE.
Wrestlemania is coming...maybe Bayern and Shared Belief can have a rematch.
Looks like Alphabet Soup after his Goodwood DQ at SA LOL !
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #51
mostpost

My first thought was that no DQ was correct, because I felt Shared Belief had ample chances to finish third and failed to do so. Then I realized that was not the question. The question was should he be placed third while Bayern was placed behind him. And wouldn't it be great if Toast of New York was also disqualified for even more egregious interference with Shared Belief and California Chrome won the race. Alas, after looking at the chart and watching the replay again, I could not justify that.

After the first quarter mile Shared Belief was outside and out of trouble. He was sixth, four lengths and a head from first. After a half mile he was four and a half lengths plus a head from first. After six furlongs he had improved slightly to be fifth three and a half lengths behind the leader. On the turn, when he should have been making his move he lost three lengths to all of the three leaders. Midway on the turn Shared Belief was right behind California Chrome. Within a sixteenth of a mile California Chrome opened that margin to three plus lengths. To be moved up Shared Belief should have cut into that three and a half length margin or at the very least maintained it.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:16 AM   #52
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
My first thought was that no DQ was correct, because I felt Shared Belief had ample chances to finish third and failed to do so. Then I realized that was not the question. The question was should he be placed third while Bayern was placed behind him. And wouldn't it be great if Toast of New York was also disqualified for even more egregious interference with Shared Belief and California Chrome won the race. Alas, after looking at the chart and watching the replay again, I could not justify that.

After the first quarter mile Shared Belief was outside and out of trouble. He was sixth, four lengths and a head from first. After a half mile he was four and a half lengths plus a head from first. After six furlongs he had improved slightly to be fifth three and a half lengths behind the leader. On the turn, when he should have been making his move he lost three lengths to all of the three leaders. Midway on the turn Shared Belief was right behind California Chrome. Within a sixteenth of a mile California Chrome opened that margin to three plus lengths. To be moved up Shared Belief should have cut into that three and a half length margin or at the very least maintained it.
An NBA style flop would have ended all speculation.

Anyway, SB received an impact that would have DQ'd the offender at any juncture of the race...................except the start.

A real mosh pit.
Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #53
nijinski

Surprised to see no objections from the jocks .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:38 AM   #54
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert
Are you saying Bayern was bearing in and Garcia was trying tom keep him straight ?
you implying that he did it on purpose is a load of crap. get real.

I actually think the horse should have been taken down. But the ruling is consistent with what they normally do. I also think that there might have been a case for taking the 2nd place horse down too.

But to imply that Garcia planned to come out of the gate like that .....come on?
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:47 AM   #55
Smarty Cide
Veteran

NO DQ....

Shared Belief needs to muscle up a little
Smarty Cide is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #56
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

But to imply that Garcia planned to come out of the gate like that .....come on?
Ditto. That could have been suicidal if things had gone just a little differently. One step slower by Beyern and he was toast.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #57
Mineshaft
Veteran

Shared Belief had every chance after the break to win the race. He didnt.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 03:00 AM   #58
Dark Horse

Regardless of the decision, this type of foul play in the biggest race of the year is terrible for the reputation of the sport.

And Baffert has been on a mission since he retired Game On Dude, for which he blamed other horses... for not giving that one-dimensional speed a breather.

Immediately after that Bayern got an uncontested lead in the Pennsylvania Derby. In spite of the presence of California Chrome. You may want to rewatch that video.

The next week Fed Biz got an uncontested lead in the Awesome Again and nearly beat Shared Belief. This was the race where Espinosa (on Baffert-trained Sky Kingdom) was suspended for herding Shared Belief into the Santa Anita parking lot.

And, last but not least, the BC Classic, where Bayern leaves the gate like a bowling ball, and completely destroys the most anticipated race of the year. But hey, he did get the uncontested lead...

Third time's a charm. Baffert is little better than a bankrobber. Only they get life in prison after a 5 million heist.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 11-02-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #59
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Regardless of the decision, this type of foul play in the biggest race of the year is terrible for the reputation of the sport.

And Baffert has been on a mission since he retired Game On Dude, for which he blamed other horses... for not giving that one-dimensional speed a breather.

Immediately after that Bayern got an uncontested lead in the Pennsylvania Derby. In spite of the presence of California Chrome. You may want to rewatch that video.

The next week Fed Biz got an uncontested lead in the Awesome Again and nearly beat Shared Belief. This was the race where Espinosa (on Baffert-trained Sky Kingdom) was suspended for herding Shared Belief into the Santa Anita parking lot.

And, last but not least, the BC Classic, where Bayern leaves the gate like a bowling ball, and completely destroys the most anticipated race of the year. But hey, he did get the uncontested lead...

Third time's a charm. Baffert is little better than a bankrobber. Only they get life in prison after a 5 million heist.
Here's one thing that nobody commented on, i just watched the head on again out of the gate. Garcia makes NO ATTEMPT to "correct". He just keeps barreling towards the fence....you would have to ask a steward about that, but i was under the impression that the judges give more of the benefit of the doubt to jocks who attempt to correct. This guy not only didnt correct, he just put his head down and kept lugging.

If this was a "gate infraction" do you get to keep beelining towards the fence? In other words, if you don't come out straight, can you take advantage of your "crookedness" and just keep angling and angling towards the inside.

You just gotta love Baffert too in the interview during the inquiry, he acted as if he did nothing wrong, there was no "geez, im a little worried, i did crash into the entire field" no, no worry, the guy acted as if it was an inconvenience that he had to wait around while thing thing is blinking.

Amazing.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #60
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

What did you want him to do? Pull up and lose all chance of winning?

You're talking about split second decision making. He's either going to lose the race via DQ or lose the race trying to straighten his horse out and risk giving up his position and advantage at that point. As a jockey, he did the best thing in a bad situation...in terms of trying to win.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 11-02-2014 at 03:29 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply