Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #31
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab
I don't know....
It's tough to take Bayern down because it's out of the gate.
I get that he drilled SB,but that's horseracing.
And it is tough to DQ out of a giant race like the Classic.
Its not really horseracing if you do it on purpose. As far as a "giant race" goes, is there a difference in the color of the money that the bettors get paid vs hitting the 4th at Charlestown on a rainy Monday? Personally, any bet i make is a "big race" its my super bowl, i could care less what the purse is for the owners, its all the same to the bettors.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #32
Tara73
Veteran

A foul is a foul and that was a.foul.
Tara73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #33
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Nice to see racing is getting the same credibility as WWE.
Wrestlemania is coming...maybe Bayern and Shared Belief can have a rematch.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (10.8 KB, 172 views)
Old 11-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #34
Stillriledup
Veteran

Mans game. Jim Rome Proud, took the high road.

https://twitter.com/jimrome
Old 11-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #35
Bennie

Contact right out of the gate is not an issue with me, happens all the time, but coming over 4 paths is a little too much. If it was 2 yr olds, it can be expected. Not so much with experienced horses. Just my opinion. Didn't matter to me as far as the outcome because I didn't have Toast of New York anywhere on my tickets.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 11:31 PM   #36
Mineshaft
Veteran

You are not going to get a perfect trip every time ur horse runs. Thats horse racing. Does it suck that he got cut off? Sure does but thats going to happen in horse racing its the nature of the game.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #37
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
You are not going to get a perfect trip every time ur horse runs. Thats horse racing. Does it suck that he got cut off? Sure does but thats going to happen in horse racing its the nature of the game.
I would absolutely love all the money back that i've been DQd for on borderline BS "thats horse racing" type of calls.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #38
pandy

Some have said that horses never get down for bumping at the start. That is not true. It is true that many horses get squeezed at the start when a horse breaks sideways and there is no dq, but, I have seen many horses taken down for severely lugging in at the start and causing obvious and severe interference that greatly affected the running of the race. This was an obvious and severe infraction. The judges either made a mistake or have no balls.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 11:44 PM   #39
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Some have said that horses never get down for bumping at the start. That is not true. It is true that many horses get squeezed at the start when a horse breaks sideways and there is no dq, but, I have seen many horses taken down for severely lugging in at the start and causing obvious and severe interference that greatly affected the running of the race. This was an obvious and severe infraction. The judges either made a mistake or have no balls.
Heres a DQ for something at the start.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ht=charlestown
Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #40
OntheRail

No Balls.

If I remember correctly last year or the year prior Gulfstream Park. Rainbow 6 was in the millions... last race with one ticket live horse wins... inquiry goes up. They show the start... banging out of the gate... less then what we seen today. Horse gets took down. Carryover.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #41
dansan

not quater hores racing mike smith had plenty of race left to win that race the better horse won
dansan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 12:05 AM   #42
pandy

No Need for Starting Gate

The bigger picture here is that there is no need for the starting gate at all. A couple of years ago I interviewed Dan Coon, who designs and builds racing surfaces. He is mostly known for his work with harness tracks but he has also built and worked on many thoroughbred surfaces including training tracks.

Coon told me that it's unfortunate that horsemen resist change, but, he said that there are two things that should be eliminated in thoroughbred races, the rail and the starting gate. He said that both have contributed to many injuries of riders and horses, some fatal. He said that the hard rail is simply not necessary and either is the starting gate. He also said that if they eliminated the starting gate there would be much less trouble at the start, and a lot less injuries.

I have never seen the need for the starting gate. You could easily start the horses from a starting line with a loud bang like you did years ago and you would eliminate horses flipping in the gate, breaking through the gate, getting left in the gate, getting injured in the gate, and breaking sideways out of the gate and ruining the Breeders Cup classic.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #43
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
The bigger picture here is that there is no need for the starting gate at all. A couple of years ago I interviewed Dan Coon, who designs and builds racing surfaces. He is mostly known for his work with harness tracks but he has also built and worked on many thoroughbred surfaces including training tracks.

Coon told me that it's unfortunate that horsemen resist change, but, he said that there are two things that should be eliminated in thoroughbred races, the rail and the starting gate. He said that both have contributed to many injuries of riders and horses, some fatal. He said that the hard rail is simply not necessary and either is the starting gate. He also said that if they eliminated the starting gate there would be much less trouble at the start, and a lot less injuries.

I have never seen the need for the starting gate. You could easily start the horses from a starting line with a loud bang like you did years ago and you would eliminate horses flipping in the gate, breaking through the gate, getting left in the gate, getting injured in the gate, and breaking sideways out of the gate and ruining the Breeders Cup classic.
If you watch the start of steeplechase races, the horse are all over the place, they're not starting at the same time.....those are very long races run at very slow paces, so if a horse gets a neck or 1/2 length better start than another horse, it doesn't matter. In a sprint race, its going to matter, that would be tricky to pull off.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #44
overthehill

i agree with you 100%. if this was a 2 year old race, I would have let the result stand. but that kind of interference by a 3 year old merits a DQ. Even more perplexing is the statement by the stewards that it didnt effect the outcome of the race. Lets see the favorite in the race was completely impeded early, and the other main speed was taken out of the race completely after bayern bumped and drifted in at least 3 paths. Im surprised there wasnt a fist fight in the jocks room after this. If I had a say I would remove all of the stewards, as I wouldnt be happy to see a string of left turns coming out of the gate by jockeys with speed horses trying to get to the rail right away.
overthehill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2014, 12:19 AM   #45
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If you watch the start of steeplechase races, the horse are all over the place, they're not starting at the same time.....those are very long races run at very slow paces, so if a horse gets a neck or 1/2 length better start than another horse, it doesn't matter. In a sprint race, its going to matter, that would be tricky to pull off.

That's true for sprints. In a race like the classic I really don't think the starting gate is needed. The thing is, it causes all sort of problems and injuries. Is it really worth it?