Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Pace Advantage Toga Party Part XII

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
Trijack

Having attended the first 3 years, I thought I would go again this year. I called Billw and told him I was going to go but after checking air fares (only cost me 300.00 in 2002) and adding up all the other expenses I am now not so sure. My wife still says I should go. I am going to post my diary for that first year.

Jack
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Trijack

PaceAdvantage 2002 get together

This was before Suff went so radical.

Friday, Aug 22

Left from Orange County Airport (Ca) for Toga at 8:15 AM. .BillW and I had planned on getting together Friday night after I arrived in Albany. Called him and canceled. Arrived at the Ramada Motel after 12 midnight.

Saturday, Aug 23 Travers Day

Up at 5:45 AM , went down stairs and met BillW (he hates Microsoft Windows I found out later), my first meeting with a PA board member. After talking with him for 5 minutes I thought if all the guys are as nice as him I was going to have a good time. Then the moment had arrived to meet Suff. He came down at 7:15 after getting in at 4 AM. He was talking a mile a minute on what we were going to do that day. Left for Toga at 8: AM. He told us we were going to make a pass by the race track to show us the layout. Arrived there about 8:30 AM. Thousands of people were already there or walking into the track. It was a carnival atmosphere. Suff was pointing out all the different things to see and do and I knew then I was in for the time of my life. Suff needed to get into track to check on our catered lunch. Told security guard he had a letter from NYRA to go in. Without looking at the letter the Guard waved us in. Went by the tent where we had our tables and he called out to someone over the fence who was there taking care of things, forget who it was.

Now we are off to Whispering Pines where we are going to stay. Met the owners and most of their kids who were there for the weekend. Suff gave us our Toga shirts. Back To Toga. By then it was around 11 Am. It cost us $25.00 to park close in. Went inside the track already wall to wall people. Already quite a few from PA Board there. Got my computer set up and what do you know, I found a wireless connection to the net. I made 3 reports from the track before I got cut off for good.

Back to Travers day. Got to meet PA, Andicap, Roccojack and his friend Charlie, Joe Prunes, Winmanwin, Jotb, Irishlad, Dave Schwartz and his friend Ken and many more that I did not take notes on. Later in the week Bubbles, Purple Power, Budda, David McKenzie, Railbird, Cumberlandblues, Atr, Roger and many more that I talked to for just a moment

Suff, as all of you know by now, hit the 2nd race big time. Later on D Schwartz hit a big one. It seemed like every race someone was collecting on a ticket. As most of you know, I only bet tri’s. By the end of the day on Thursday I had hit 3 tri’s and was ahead a whole $1.50 for the first 5 days. At that point I was 3 for 13 not too bad a average for tri’s. Well I ended up for the week 3 for 19 and down $167.00 but I was having a grand time.

Leaving the track after Travers day was a nightmare and Suff was showing us how not to be a Boston driver. I think he broke all laws in the book getting us out of there. Plus we had to connect up with Dave Schwartz and Ken as they did not know how to get to WP. In the end we got connected up with them and head for WP. Arrived there after dark and settled in.
In the cabin I was in, BillW, Roccojack and Charlie were there also. Most of them went out for dinner but I stayed and printed out my Always info that I needed for the next day. I later found out that Suff bought dinner for all that went. That goes to show you what a giving and caring guy he is.

Sunday, Aug 24

Got up at 6 AM Sunday morning and walked down to the Hudson and took some pictures, beautiful morning with mist rising off water. Walked the grounds for more pics. BillW, Roccojack, Charlie and I went to the city of Corinth to Jack’s Place for breakfast. I had gravy and biscuits with sausage which was pretty good.

Headed back to Toga. Met the other guys who had gone to breakfast at the track at Siro’s for handicapping seminar. Back to our tables under the tent. This time Suff had white tablecloths on the tables, a nice added touch. Met some more new guys from the PA board. Also PA’s wife, Kelly, joined us. Dave Schwartz hit a big winner that paid over a 100.00 and an exacta that paid over 600.00. Suff found a place called Five Points where we bought lunch and drinks everyday. The owner made the cookies herself. This became our routine every day for lunch. Picked up coldcuts and drinks. Suff decided that he did not want us carrying 3 containers of drinks a distance. The first time we pulled up to the gate which supposedly was only for certain people to enter, he just calmly told them that we had lunch and drinks he needed to get inside. They opened the gate for us just like they were supposed to. Other times he just got out and opened it himself. He made a believer out of me, if he decided to do something, in most cases it got done.

Easy exit from track on this day. Went to dinner at the Boston Market with Dave Schwartz, Ken, BillW. Someone told us that we should try Kinko’s for net hookup as Dave also needed to download his pp’s. While they went into store to check it out. I thought I would see if I could pick up a signal outside of Kinko’s. I did , picked up 2 of them. Downloaded my info. Went inside to tell them the good news. They were on the net using a T1 line at no charge to them.

Back to WP. Printed out my info for the next day. I then went over to Dave’s cabin and they were having a great handicapping discussion. In bed at 11:30.

Monday, Aug 25

Up at 6:15 AM. Another group left for breakfast at the track. Went to breakfast again at Jack’s Place. Left for Toga. Same routine with food and drinks. It got so easy doing this, one would have thought we belonged there. Hit my first tri on this day although a small one. Another all around good time at Toga.

Back to WP. Another good night in horse talk at Suff’s cabin. Got in bed late. Glad that Tuesday is a dark day for racing.

Tuesday Aug. 26

Down to the river again and then on to the Hall of Fame Museum which was fantastic..Purplepower, who had joined us the night before, went with us.

Back to WP. Suff, PP, BillW and I went down to the river for some swimming and boating. PP and I could not get back in boat without Suff’s help. BillW took pictures with camcorder of us having a good time on the Hudson A fun time. Went for dinner at Waterhouse Restaurant with Suff, PP, BillW. Great food.

Wednesday, Aug. 27

Up at 3 AM. Got most of my handicapping done and headed to Toga for breakfast with Suff, PP, BillW, Budda, D Schwartz, Ken, Cumberlandblues and Budda. Gosh, what a awesome sight watching all the horses coming out on the track for their workouts. Again lots of pictures.

Suff, Budda and I went to the Oklahoma Training Track and the barns. Again Suff just drove thru the gate like he owned the place and nobody stopped us. We stopped by the Jerkens barn, D. Wayne Lucas barn and then we met The Man Himself, Bobby Frankel. I took a picture of Suff and Frankel, so did Budda. Watched some horses train on the Oklahoma Track. Again lots of pictures. When we got back to Suff’s vehicle, they were ready to tow it away. Seems as though he had parked in the emergency vehicle spot.

Suff wanted to show Budda and I the CV Whitney Polo Field. Again Suff just drove thru the gate even though it said ‘Private’. Went to their clubhouse, walked around and talked to a lady that helped in the kitchen as she was the only one there. She gave us a quick rundown on how Polo was played, very informative. Suff told her we might be back on Friday for Polo Match.

Back to WP. Some of us went down to the beach for a BBQ and bonfire. Suff showed us how not to build a fire. We stayed there until around 10 PM. Went to cabin and got my info together for another day of racing. Suff and BillW went to Albany to pick up CJ. I believe he got in around 1:30 AM.

Thursday, Aug 28

Up at 6:45 AM. Off to Toga for breakfast with Suff, PP, BillW, and CJ
Got to the track later than usual and by the time we had finished breakfast the horses were thru training. Not a horse to be seen. No pictures this morning.

Back to Toga, same routine except now Suff has the Siro’s parking lot attendant in the palm of his hands. He tips the guy and got to park his GMC in a good spot so he can get the food and drinks for the day and get his parking space back. Suff had 2 tickets for the day in the clubhouse and we alternated people after each race to view the races from a good location. It was my first view o f the track with a race being run. Hit another small tri. Still looking for the big one. Another great day at the track

Friday Aug 29

Up early as usual. Went to track for breakfast and back to our usual routine. Finally hit a good tri for 359.00 that put me at 3 for 19 and a whole $1.50 ahead for the first six days. Last race for the day TJ said he had 8.00 left on his voucher so he did not want to go home that night with it. He bet some small 2.00 tri’s and hit a tri for over a 1,000. Great hit. King Mike decided we would go to the Polo game. What an experience that was. Met the same lady who told us all about the game and I think she was surprised that we showed up.

Left for Whispering Pines to get ready to go downtown for drinks. Went to the Adelphi Hotel. When we were ready to leave, King Mike got into a conversation with a 92 year old woman and in her group was her daughter and granddaughter. King Mike invited them to share our tables and food under the tent on Saturday. Back to WP.

Saturday August 30

Went to track for breakfast. Took another tour of barns. Our days are numbered. Today we toured the private box where we are going to spend Sunday watching and betting the horses. On Sunday we will have reached the epitome of our stay at Toga. On our way back to our tent we met trainer Jerkens and got our pictures taken with him.
The three women we met on Friday showed up with a friend from Saratoga and seemed to enjoy themselves hanging out with us.

Zafonic showed up today for a few races. What a guy and easy to talk to.

Went downtown Saratoga for dinner. Hundreds of people on the streets at 10 PM. We dined at a sidewalk cafe after walking around trying to find a place to eat. After that, back to the Adelphi for drinks and talking to the pretty hostess we had met the night before. Back to WP. To bed at 12 midnight.

Sunday August 31

Our last day at Saratoga.

King Mike, Cj, BillW, Rocajack and I drove up to Lake George for breakfast. Beautiful tourist place. We had a good breakfast, but running late. Headed for Whispering Pines so Rocajack could get his car he would be taking CJ to Albany airport later in the day. No food to pick up this morning. We settled into our private box ready for another day of racing. What a unique place. Private bathroom, fridge and our own teller. Cj and Rocajack left about 4 PM and now there is only 3 left. King Mike, BillW and I.

Back to Whispering Pines for our last night. It was King Mike’s birthday and we went to the Water House for dinner. Good food.
Monday, Sept 1

Up at 5 Am. Left for airport and King Mike asked if I had my camera handy. I said not handy but I could dig it out. He wanted to go by the track for some last pictures. Just breaking dawn when we arrived and we got a few more pictures of Saratoga. On to Albany. Said goodbye to King Mike and BillW the 2 guys I had spent the whole week with.

What a trip and all the wonderful guys I met at Saratoga. Its Thursday evening about 5 PM as I finish this up. My wife says my mind is still at Saratoga every day as I haven’t stopped talking about it. My wife is the one that encouraged me to go. She thought I would be missing out on a once in a lifetime opportunity and she was right. Sometimes women know best

Added thoughts on Michael Dudley aka as Sufferindowns

As the one who put this trip together, it seemed to me, he thought he was obligated to see that everyone had a great time regardless of cost. Now here is a man that put out his hard earned money for everyone to have a good time. Some mentioned on Sunday the tables under the tent were great, What did he do. He reserved the tables for the rest of our stay at $48.00 per day. When we attended the handicapping seminars at Siro’s who showed up with coffee or orange juice for all of us, he did. Who put up the money for food and drinks every day, he did. Who paid for breakfast and dinners more times than anyone else, he did. I know he collected some money from people every day. I’m sure he did not get enough to pay for all the food and drinks provided. If someone said they were a little short, he would not take anything from them. I could go on with more stories like this. He is one of the most kindhearted men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and enjoying a week with. He told me his father taught him to always pay more than his share and never short the other fellow.

This trip to Toga every year is what he lives for. For all that attended I’m sure they could see why he likes to come back every year.

Now you can see why toward the end I called him “King of Saratoga”.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
Trijack

Wrong date that was 2003
Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
joeprunes

Mike (suff ) dudley started this trip and should get the credit for it,and I believe it was all about PA. How many were originals 10 yrs ago and made every trip, count me as 1 of them ,who else made every trip???
Old 03-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Me too, Joe...every year.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
Trijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeprunes
Mike (suff ) dudley started this trip and should get the credit for it,and I believe it was all about PA. How many were originals 10 yrs ago and made every trip, count me as 1 of them ,who else made every trip???

i agree only Mike could have got this started. He got people together that most had not met each other.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trijack
Having attended the first 3 years, I thought I would go again this year. I called Billw and told him I was going to go but after checking air fares (only cost me 300.00 in 2002) and adding up all the other expenses I am now not so sure. My wife still says I should go. I am going to post my diary for that first year.

Jack
You must listen to your wife!
Old 03-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
Trijack

Yes, Billw it pays to listen to ones wife. Most of the time anyway.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #24
John

Come on back Trijack. You and I were the only wine drinkers.

Mike Dudley, I am proud to say is doing very well for himself. I heard that he just upscaled to a very expensive apartment in Harvard Sq. area,

Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
Grits

Trijack, you keep a fine journal, I know its something to enjoy looking back on. Memories of fun times are one of the treasures of life. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #26
Trijack

John

I was wondering what ever had happened to him. Sounds like he might have turned his life around.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #27
Trijack

Grits, thanks for the kind words. I took my digital camera and video camera and made a DVD of that first year and sent a copy to some of the other members. I also included a slide show of the digital pictures.

Jack
Old 03-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeprunes
Me too every year. The first year I was only there for the last 4 races on the Saturday afternoon card, but since then I have been there every year for at least 2-3 days. Great Friends , Great Times ! Looking forward to the 10th anniversary

Z
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #29
joeprunes

First of all I labled you "Z". Turnouts like this need good people to make it enjoyable and you and your friends were and still are some that make it so enjoyable. When you get people together that never met that come from all over the states you never know how its going to turn out. However mike (pa) has taken over what suff started with help of Al and his wife to make it very sucsessful,and a thank you very much for all their hard work that makes it easy for us to enjoy saratoga. So looking forward to our 10th reunion
Old 03-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #30
John

Come on Joe !!! if anyone deserves a "Thank You" its you.

The first year Charlie and me with to Toga the Friday before we could stay at the cottages to set up the tables that were scattered all of the tent and get things organized with an extra table with a table cloth for the food and drinks etc. We stayed at a hotel on Broadway. Can't remember the name. Anyway it was a dump cost us $150.00 a night plus tax. we stood in line at a restaurant on Broadway the next morning and paid $8.00 for Scramble eggs and toast. Then you told us where you were staying.Island View Motel, A twenty minute drive to the track. on route 9. Run by a family for years. nice clean rooms, nice shower and plenty of towels. $85.00 dollars a night. No phones,today we all have cellphones. The next morning you took us to a great dinner. What a great breakfast,this dinner even made oatmeal fresh every morning.The only thing that was cheap,was the price and we were stuffed until dinner. You and your lovely Lady took us to Waterwheel for dinner near our motel. Later that night we took a walk down the road from the motel to a great ice cream shop for a cone of delightful homemade ice cream. Our cost for 3 nights 1/3ND of what we paid to stay on Broadway.

Thank you Joe. Joe prunes, A great guy.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: