Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #196
upthecreek

Kentucky Derby

I cant seem to load the KD Ive tried to scratch 10 outsiders and it still closes Im attaching the error
THANKS!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mt error.JPG (15.5 KB, 293 views)
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #197
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Up,

Thanks for heads up. Mike has corrected the problem and the corrected program is on it's way to P.A. When he gets it posted then just delete what you have now and download the zip file and use the files in it.

That goes for everyone else who has downloaded the latest update.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #198
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

I've been tooling around with this program. I see "Database" as a greyed out menu on the launcher. Is there database functionality yet? If not, I understand. If so, how is it used?
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #199
headhawg
crusty old guy

There is no database capability. I think that it was Handi's intention to add that feature at one time. I don't think that it will be added to Handifast as the programming language makes it difficult to do so. Maybe Handi will comment about that.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2015, 02:21 PM   #200
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Yeah, after reviewing the Liberty Basic language a bit, I would imagine tackling a database capability, with that particular programming language, would be tough (if not impossible). Full blown VB, probably, but Liberty is more limited.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #201
Red Knave
dGnr8

Raybo
There are wrappers for ODBC, SQLite and others available for Liberty Basic so at the least, it's do-able. But I suspect, as you say, it would be tough.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2015, 06:09 PM   #202
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I have tried several times to get help but the Liberty basic group has cooled down it seems. Mostly because I think the creator moved into web server stuff and has given up on writing Liberty basic 5.0 which has been on the drawing board for a very long time.

I am looking at some different things at present. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Handi
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #203
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiman
I have tried several times to get help but the Liberty basic group has cooled down it seems. Mostly because I think the creator moved into web server stuff and has given up on writing Liberty basic 5.0 which has been on the drawing board for a very long time.

I am looking at some different things at present. Not sure what I'm going to do.

Handi
How long did it take you to learn Liberty Basic? Python seems to be the one people are getting started with now, supposedly it is very easy (of course it's not for me, nor are any of the other languages, none of them "click" in my brain for some reason).

Old 05-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #204
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I picked up Liberty basic pretty quickly because I first learned how to program in Pascal. It was DOS and very similar to basic languages. I started writing programs right away. In the first two weeks I believe.

So LB was easy for me to switch over to and It offered me the chance to produce windows type programs.

I'm hoping Python is easy for me too. I'm a bit worried about the Object Oriented Programming concepts. But it has a database embedded in it and I am hoping to make good use out of that.

Handi
Old 05-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #205
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
I picked up Liberty basic pretty quickly because I first learned how to program in Pascal. It was DOS and very similar to basic languages. I started writing programs right away. In the first two weeks I believe.

So LB was easy for me to switch over to and It offered me the chance to produce windows type programs.

I'm hoping Python is easy for me too. I'm a bit worried about the Object Oriented Programming concepts. But it has a database embedded in it and I am hoping to make good use out of that.

Handi
I know what you mean, the object oriented stuff is where I get off the boat.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #206
JoeLong

Quote:

Handi
Python is a C, C+ derivative and has nothing in common with Liberty Basic, a quick look at the tutorial https://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/index.html.
JoeLong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #207
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Joe I understand that. I have been doing a ton of research and have decided that Python is what I want to learn and will be doing the next handifast upgrade with as it stands now. How long that will take I do not know, but what the hell. As long as my health holds out, I have nothing but time on my hands..... Maybe it will keep me out of trouble...LOL

Handi
Old 05-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #208
jimmac

Cut and paste

Handi:

Anyway to cut and paste race to excel thus having all the races on one page rather than having one page per race.

thanks
jimmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #209
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Not that I know of right now. Going to address that in next update.

Sorry,
Handi
Old 05-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #210
thelyingthief

Three books on oo:

The Object-Oriented Thought Process (a general title, quickly read)

Python 3 Object-oriented Programming (very good tutorial)
Mastering Object-oriented Python

Coursera has a class on interactive programming Python course produced by Rice University.

If you can over-look the basic nature of the first few classes, the latter half of the course is almost exclusively writing programs that are object-oriented.

You really need to learn this stuff--it will make your code much easier to update, maintain, and secure.

tlt-
thelyingthief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: