Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Poll: Vote NOW!
Poll Options
Vote NOW!

Old 08-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameegray1 View Post
Evangeline are dead-heat happy! That's 3 in 3 days so far.
Decades ago when I worked as a placing judge, I would insist on splitting incredibly tight finishes simply to counter-act my overly conservative fellow judges who considered dead-heat the "safe call." Our photo guy often sided with them by "burying" the lead nostril just enough into the thick, superimposed "finish line" to assure the trail nose likewise appeared on the wire.

Since I had only been an official for a year, or so, my opposition to this practice drew flack from veteran coworkers. But I did put a stop to their crap. Please understand there was no crooked intent on their part. Those guys didn't bet or show favoritism. They merely sought to avoid controversy by making a call they could support with a (slightly altered) photo.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 01:47 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Worth noting that Collmus, who gets a booth very close to the finish for the BC, called it definitively as Beholder. He had no doubt.
If I remember right, he told me was sweating that one after he made it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #18
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If I remember right, he told me was sweating that one after he made it.
That's interesting, although I'm not sure the two things are inconsistent. In other words, he sees it as Beholder clearly winning, but then after making the call, even though he was sure of it, he has to contemplate while that photo sign is up the possibility of looking like a doofus on national television. So he got nervous even though he called it as he saw it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 02:02 PM   #19
Arapola

Smile

I STILL think that "The Bart" beat John Henry!:
Arapola is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2021, 02:04 PM   #20
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arapola View Post
I STILL think that "The Bart" beat John Henry!:
He was a bit ambiguous in his call, but I always thought Phil Georgeff thought so too.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2021, 04:02 PM   #21
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Decades ago when I worked as a placing judge, I would insist on splitting incredibly tight finishes simply to counter-act my overly conservative fellow judges who considered dead-heat the "safe call." Our photo guy often sided with them by "burying" the lead nostril just enough into the thick, superimposed "finish line" to assure the trail nose likewise appeared on the wire.

Since I had only been an official for a year, or so, my opposition to this practice drew flack from veteran coworkers. But I did put a stop to their crap. Please understand there was no crooked intent on their part. Those guys didn't bet or show favoritism. They merely sought to avoid controversy by making a call they could support with a (slightly altered) photo.
Always interesting to hear stories from behind the scenes.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-24-2021, 08:55 AM   #22
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
He was a bit ambiguous in his call, but I always thought Phil Georgeff thought so too.

From Phil's book:

"As they hit the wire, I thought perhaps The Bart held on. A second later-my experience taught me to give the outside closing horse a nostril's edge-I felt, no, I knew John Henry had gotten up in the very last stride.

I pleaded with NBC over our communication hookup not to declare The Bart even as "unofficial" winner. "Let's not split 'em", I begged. In effect, they told me to shut up and mind my own business."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: