Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
Cangamble
Agitator

I'm Just Putting This Out There

If Mine That Bird gets a positive, it will be the best thing that could happen to horse racing.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
toussaud

please shut up
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
If Mine That Bird gets a positive, it will be the best thing that could happen to horse racing.
Well you can take it back

The horse was the Canadian Juvenile Champ, and has the breeding, also according ot anothe poster in a different thread athe horse caught the eye of a private clocker. Why must it be drugs? The connections just hid him well from the public.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
Well you can take it back

The horse was the Canadian Juvenile Champ, and has the breeding, also according ot anothe poster in a different thread athe horse caught the eye of a private clocker. Why must it be drugs? The connections just hid him well from the public.
I'm not saying he was drugged up. But if he was, racing would finally get tough on drugs....and I mean tough if this 9500 yearling purchase/gelding comes up positive.

The connections hid his Speed potential well too. He probably had the lowest speed figures of any recent winner of the Derby and he arguably had the worst speed figures of any horse in the race this year. And it doesn't matter if the source was Beyer, TSN, Brisnet, Trackmaster, personal speed figures.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Relwob Owner

Quote:

Put it back...how you can write those words is beyond me.....
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The game itself has put the specter of drugs on the table.
Not that I think this one was drugged, but when a horse wins like that people are going to raise an eyebrow. If the game were on top of drugs and cheating and acted like it was serious, his comments would be out of line, but this kind of suspicion is what the game deserves.

As far as Canadian HOY goes, whoop-de-doo! They got what, one real track and a few fair circuits? HOY for WOODBINE, maybe, this one looked closer to runing at FL than CD.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
Put it back...how you can write those words is beyond me.....
Drugs are plaguing the sport and regulators have been very slow to fix it.
Hey, I know that a positive would hurt the game short term, but until drugs are out of the game, the game will be broken.

And again, I'm not inferring here that the horse will get a positive. The horse could have been on the best part of the track, the hardest part of the track, and saved the most ground, and the pace of the race helped him too.

Funny things happen in the slop. Again, I've already read many comments from people expecting a positive. I'm not expecting a positive, but wouldn't be shocked just the same.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
toussaud

if you make a post talking about when he tests positive it will be great for racing, THEN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HIM TESTING POSITITIVE.

for crying out loud the man just won the kentucky derby and did so by almost 7. tip your hat and move on. stop witht he endless juice threads. we are worse than the general media.
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #9
rrpic6

Spending many a night at Mountaineer, I've seen this type of race happen more than a few times. Everyone watching a seemingly hopeless longshot make a breathtaking move....someone finally yells, "they musta stuck a rocket up his ass".

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #10
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Tom:

I normallly would agree. But this is the Kentucky Derby, millions of $s at stake for breeding purposes. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

A non-descript gelding beating the big money purchases hurts the breeding and sales industry, on the other hand, admitting cheating took place on the biggest race of the year. Imagine the scandal, racing may never recover.

Upon, further examination it is the American Dream, equal opportunity for all that a non-descript horse owner can make millions are on meager investment. I wager the American dream scenario isn't so bad.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Old 05-02-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Drugs are plaguing the sport and regulators have been very slow to fix it.
Hey, I know that a positive would hurt the game short term, but until drugs are out of the game, the game will be broken.

And again, I'm not inferring here that the horse will get a positive. The horse could have been on the best part of the track, the hardest part of the track, and saved the most ground, and the pace of the race helped him too.

Funny things happen in the slop. Again, I've already read many comments from people expecting a positive. I'm not expecting a positive, but wouldn't be shocked just the same.
You think a positive would make anyone "wake up"???? No, everyone knows what goes on in horse racing and does nothing about it....all they do is form more committees, make more rules and ignore enforcement. A positive in the Derby would make a crappy image even worse and even if it did happen, nothing would change.....

Plus, I would have to hear Bob Costas explaining to the world again the trials and tribulations our sport is going through and would have evn more ammo.....

Positives are a part of the game and them coming up doesnt do anything at all.....have you seen much of a change since Wait a While blew a test in the Breeders Cup last year? Nope.....

Last edited by Relwob Owner; 05-02-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toussaud
if you make a post talking about when he tests positive it will be great for racing, THEN YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT HIM TESTING POSITITIVE.

for crying out loud the man just won the kentucky derby and did so by almost 7. tip your hat and move on. stop witht he endless juice threads. we are worse than the general media.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
MNslappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toussaud

I think he said If Mine That Bird gets a positive, but I dont know, I'd have to scroll 7 lines and actually read it...
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
Bubba X
Veteran

I don't care how untalented people say MtB is or how all the good horses scratched or how he's the only one who benefited from the bias or how the other 18 didn't show up or how the track killed the good horses that ran or how the Sunland speed figs might be off.

That may all be true.

The animal did manage to run the last 1/4 of a 10 furlong race in something around 23 flat. And he looked like he was in a full drive from the half mile pole. And, of course, his speed figs, albeit not on fast dirt, are now somewhat competititive, at the least.

We'll see what happens in a couple weeks but he will take some beating.

It's also pretty interesting what his win means to the issue of the graded stakes earnings entry criteria. A month ago some were outraged Dunkirk wouldn't make the race. I wonder if MtB makes the field if any other criteria was used.

What the hell, he's a gelding. We'll at least likely be able to see a Derby winner run past fall, whether we're for him or laughing at him.
Bubba X is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #15
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Actually, I would say in-hand. Looked he could go around again. It was very impressive. Remeber this horse won 4 races in a row up North as a 2year old.
George Washington