Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Claim digger

Bill Benter information

I am looking for any information I can on the methods of the Hong Kong based statistical handicapper Bill Benter. I know he has developed a sophisticated proprietary system that has made him millions. I consider him the greatest handicapper in the world. I know he has published the following:

"Computer based horse race handicapping and wagering systems: A report. Academic Press, New York."

If anyone knows where to find a copy of this or any other information on Benter I would be most grateful.

CD
Claim digger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2002, 11:08 AM   #2
Triple Trio

Benter's paper originally appeared in the book "Efficiency of Racetrack Betting Markets" which is already out of print. However it's included in the appendix of British writer Nick Mordin's book "Winning Without Thinking".
Triple Trio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2002, 04:18 PM   #3
David McKenzie

//...Bill Benter. I know he has developed a sophisticated proprietary system that has made him millions. I consider him the greatest handicapper in the world.//

Then I trust you don't mind prolonged losing streaks. I understand his syndicate lost over 1 million dollars one year.

Incidentally, I attempted cracking his code with zero success. If you can do it, then as Bob Dylan sang, "Mister, you're a better man than I." :>)
David McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2002, 04:26 PM   #4
Triple Trio

Quote:
Originally posted by David McKenzie
I understand his syndicate lost over 1 million dollars one year.
A million dollars is peanuts to Benter. He can easily bet that amount in just a couple of races.
Triple Trio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2002, 06:31 PM   #5
Dick Schmidt
Surly Member

There was an article on Hong Kong betting syndicates in WIRED magazine a couple months ago. Maybe longer. Anyway, it was mentioned in a thread here. I remember posting about it, but I don't remember if I started the thread or not. Anyway, some searching should turn it up. Good place to start. They interviewed Bill Ziemba, who was a consultant to some of the HK players.

Dick
Dick Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2002, 10:42 PM   #6
Mic21

Bill Benters article in Wired:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.03/

Another article about him appeared in Asiaweek in 2000:

http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/tec...computing.html

If you search in Google on "Bill Benter", you will find many of his Rotary articles in Hong Kong ......
Mic21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2002, 12:26 AM   #7
superfecta
no fat chicks

Overrated

Glanced at the article in Wired mag....what was really sad is they are bragging about a win of 18 mil using 1.8 bet ,a return of 9-1.The only question is ,how many other times did they make this bet and not win?Hope they at least broke even overall.The impressive thing is the amounts of money.How about the tax angle ?How much does the govt. take of your big win?
If you have this amount of money to bet,you don't need to bet ,unless its a business,then its your job,that can't be much fun.I 'd much rather hear about the handicapper that spends 6 bucks and wins 6000 on a tri -now thats a guy that can pick horses.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:29 PM   #8
Mic21

I heard the rumour that Bill Benter is quitting the Hong Kong horseracing. Anybody can conform this?
Mic21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2002, 05:54 PM   #9
Dave Mark

Bill Benter, he can Sure pick'em.

Hi Claim Digger,

Did search on Google for Bill Benter.

Eye opener to say the least.
Amazing computer system he has put together.

Appears they use 1,300 horses and over a hundred pieces of info on each one, blend into probabilities formula, and waa laa, 24% profits.

Sounds easy enough, if you have a few mil around, and looking for something to do.

With bets of hundreds of thousands per race, be neat to see what he could do to the odds at some of our US based tracks.

I can see a bet at Evangeline Downs for $5,000 taking a 3-1 down to a little 1-9 shot

Heck, the horse would read the bet and laugh his ass off, then finish 12 lengths back.

Anyway, makes for interesting reading that Benter stuff does.

Seems like he is banned from some gambling establishments.

If I ever make a bet over $100 to win, I can tell you where I would be while they were running the race, pass the Charmin.

Back to my $400 computer

Dave
Dave Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2002, 12:31 AM   #10
Aussieplayer
always interested

Little encouragement - The "elite" of one HK computer group (not Benter) started off card counting bj in little Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
Now the group has moved beyond horse racing into sports, due to being able to turn over so much more money. Also into options/futures etc. where you really can start to talk about million dollar bets.

But, IMO, it's a different ballgame entirely (playing at that level).

Cheers
AP
Old 08-15-2002, 04:45 AM   #11
entropy

benter is indeed leaving HK or so i am told. question is whether he will bequeath the s/ware to his associates/ friends.

aussieplayer of the 4 major computer teams in HK all were ex card counters who knew each other around 20 yrs ago.

re betting in the US do you remember the North Dakota whale. the biggest in the US but 4th in the lineup in HK.
"An inexhaustible good nature is one of the most precious gifts of heaven, spreading itself like oil over the troubled sea of thought, and keeping the mind smooth and equable in the roughest weather." Washington Irving
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply