Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-14-2017, 10:41 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Dave,

I agree w just about all you’ve written, there is the …”competition"
Factor. Some say prices will stay low because the big boys will have to compete on price. We shall see.

I have a rule. If the Obama admin was for it, then I’m suspect.

It has served me well
Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #17
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Dave,

Factor. Some say prices will stay low because the big boys will have to compete on price. We shall see.

It has served me well
Didn't you support net neutrality when you thought Obama opposed it?

You said this 3 years ago...

"This will create a "premium internet toll road" and you won't even know which road you are on, or if you got what you pay for. It will line the pockets of phone companies and the Comcasts of the world. With no accountability at all."

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-14-2017 at 10:58 PM.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2017, 11:07 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Didn't you support net neutrality when you thought Obama opposed it?

You said this 3 years ago...

"This will create a "premium internet toll road" and you won't even know which road you are on, or if you got what you pay for. It will line the pockets of phone companies and the Comcasts of the world. With no accountability at all."
Yep.....but things have changed a ton. And as I said above, I don’t think there needs to be a change right now. But the train is coming. It’s called streaming. That’s one reason I’ve given a little. Everything will be streamed in ten years. Having television over the cable setup we have now will evolve or die.

The new tech that’s 2-4 years out (if not impeded) is going to have a huge impact. Very cheap streaming models are going to appear. Network television could die as we know it. A true renaissance may occur. DISH and Direct Tv are already in panic mode. The major networks will soon be ignored. Netflix and Prime from Amazon have proven that the learning curve to producing good quality programming was only a few years. All bets from 3 years ago are off.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #19
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Yep.....but things have changed a ton. And as I said above, I don’t think there needs to be a change right now. But the train is coming. It’s called streaming. That’s one reason I’ve given a little. Everything will be streamed in ten years. Having television over the cable setup we have now will evolve or die.

The new tech that’s 2-4 years out (if not impeded) is going to have a huge impact. Very cheap streaming models are going to appear. Network television could die as we know it. A true renaissance may occur. DISH and Direct Tv are already in panic mode. The major networks will soon be ignored. Netflix and Prime from Amazon have proven that the learning curve to producing good quality programming was only a few years. All bets from 3 years ago are off.
So...?

What does that have to do with how you choose to use your data that you purchased?

Other than propping up a dying industry? Because nothing in your post would explain the reversal in position your last paragraph that I quoted is still spot on.

You aren't being charged based on how much of a good you are consuming you are being charged based on how you consume it.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:13 PM   #20
Clocker

Quote:

It has served me well
My rule is that if it expands government regulation, I'm dead set against it. Net neutrality put more companies under FCC regulation with no showing of need to do so, no showing of abuses that needed to be corrected, and no proof after the fact of any benefit.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
So...?

What does that have to do with how you choose to use your data that you purchased?

Other than propping up a dying industry? Because nothing in your post would explain the reversal in position your last paragraph that I quoted is still spot on.

You aren't being charged based on how much of a good you are consuming you are being charged based on how you consume it.
I’m saying the Comcast’s and such "of the world" will quite possibly be usurped or disrupted by smaller companies, some that don’t even exist right now. That means competition. It’s a gamble though. It depends on the tech coming of age.

We are talking about bandwidth prices plummeting because the current infrastructure even in rural areas will be able to provide 1gig and as much as 5 gig of bandwidth on what’s already there. That will even the playing field. If it’s developed.

That puts the content creators in the drivers seat, not the provider such as Comcast etc. if you can make a good product you can stream it cheap. That changes the business model. But I think we are still several years away from the true open market for content. That’s why I say it’s not really needed now. But it will need to change. Eventually. Btw, I get 1gig speed now for 70 bucks a month with no limit. On the same hardware that was limited to about a third of that 10 yrs ago. Plus there were various limits.

Last edited by JustRalph; 12-14-2017 at 11:48 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 AM   #22
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I’m saying the Comcast’s and such "of the world" will quite possibly be usurped or disrupted by smaller companies, some that don’t even exist right now. That means competition. It’s a gamble though. It depends on the tech coming of age.

We are talking about bandwidth prices plummeting because the current infrastructure even in rural areas will be able to provide 1gig and as much as 5 gig of bandwidth on what’s already there. That will even the playing field. If it’s developed.

That puts the content creators in the drivers seat, not the provider such as Comcast etc. if you can make a good product you can stream it cheap. That changes the business model. But I think we are still several years away from the true open market for content. That’s why I say it’s not really needed now. But it will need to change. Eventually. Btw, I get 1gig speed now for 70 bucks a month with no limit. On the same hardware that was limited to about a third of that 10 yrs ago. Plus there were various limits.
You're missing the point though. If I purchase 1024gigs through my ISP it shouldn't matter what the hell I use those on. The changing of this allows the providers to provide sub quality service or additional fees based on how I choose to use the bandwith I purchased.

This would be like going into a gun store to buy bullets and the guy asking at the counter what you planned on using them for before giving you a price. Hunting - $10 Self-defense - $12.50.

Or being told at the dealership that since you don't plan on towing anything with your truck you'll have to pay more for it.

At the end of the day your simply buying data... bytes... what I choose to use those on shouldn't affect my quality of service or price.

This is simply a way of protecting the telecoms which are now apparently deemed too big to fail... sound familiar? This is their first lifeline.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-15-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #23
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Dave,

It has served me well
LOL - Good point but remember... neither side is on "our" side.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 12:20 AM   #24
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Ralph,

So, your belief is that the little guy is going to dominate the big guy?

Sorry, but the graph showing the performance of small companies has gone so low as to fall off the chart, down the wall, and onto the floor.

I believe exactly the opposite will happen.

I believe that the big boys club is getting more and more difficult to join, and the big boys mean to make the club even more exclusive.

So many wonderful ideas have been developed by virtual guppies. Ironically, removing the governmental controls will likely curtail competition at anything below the level of shark.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #25
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Ralph,

So, your belief is that the little guy is going to dominate the big guy?

Sorry, but the graph showing the performance of small companies has gone so low as to fall off the chart, down the wall, and onto the floor.

I believe exactly the opposite will happen.

I believe that the big boys club is getting more and more difficult to join, and the big boys mean to make the club even more exclusive.

So many wonderful ideas have been developed by virtual guppies. Ironically, removing the governmental controls will likely curtail competition at anything below the level of shark.
Correct.

This is simply a cash grab by the big players. The consumer always loses in those scenarios.

Ironically the government control in this instance actually is allowing more freedom for the consumer not less.

Last edited by elysiantraveller; 12-15-2017 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:35 AM   #26
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

OK. I haven't followed this nearly as much as I should.

Short, sweet, laymans terms, what does this really mean?
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 12:51 AM   #27
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
OK. I haven't followed this nearly as much as I should.

Short, sweet, laymans terms, what does this really mean?
Bare bones the concept of net neutrality is that the quality and/or price of your internet service can't be determined based on what you are using that service for.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #28
Clocker

Quote:
Bare bones the concept of net neutrality is that the quality and/or price of your internet service can't be determined based on what you are using that service for.
Even if you want to pay more to do so. Like if you want to pay more for service that prioritizes your provider's transmission of streaming video ahead of transmission of email or web browsing, you can't, because data is data.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Dave, Elysian, we are in agreement. In most ways. I’m rooting for the little guy and New tech to equalize some of this.

Elysian, I agree on your simple explanation on purchasing bandwidth. But I don’t think we will be any further away from what we are doing today, which is close to your explanation, for awhile. Hopefully the new tech and streaming models will influence the future and increase competition.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:21 AM   #30
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
ALright.

So I can be charged based upon use, number of sites, and/or amount of bandwith then, right?

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 12-15-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: