Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
jay68802

Husker Rumor

Close to signing Scott Frost. 7yrs, 35 million base salary.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
kingfin66
Bombardier

Has Nebraska fired Mike Riley? I totally understand the synergy of bringing Scott Frost back to Lincoln, but the rumors would make more sense if Riley were fired. Personally, I have been worried that new AD Bill Moos would try to coax Mike Leach away from Washington State to be the coach at Nebraska. I say worried because I am a Cougar fan. I could easily see Frost being at the top of Tennessee's list of prospective coaches. He will be a very hot commodity.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
ElKabong

I've seen Frost's name mentioned for the NU job all year on Hornfans.com and it would be a logical hire (qb'd there during the lawrence phillips years)... Problem is, they lost their recruiting base when they left for the B1G. Not sure he's the guy that can get that pipeline back. It'll be a tough climb back, but he's done very well @ UCF

Re: Leach.. I love the guy's personality, youtube some of his one man comedy stands. One of my faves is his weatherman impersonation in Lubbock. He's a Mormon so I'm not sure he'll fly w/ some of the faithful in Tenn, but if he wins would they really care? I know at one time it would have mattered but not sure about now

Florida is the head scratcher. Reminds me of TEXAS when they hd to settle on Charlie Strong. A top ten program that had trouble getting legit interest off the bat with a game changer. My guess is Dan Mullen goes back

another guess, Gus rides the bus from Auburn to Fayettenam to go back home & finish his career

Lot of openings. Gonna be a fun december
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #4
kingfin66
Bombardier

Fayettenam? I have never been there, but I am guess that it is less than nice.

With Leach, he is colorful to say the least. I know someone whose son is playing for him. Says he is an effective coach and odd. He recently had his offense doing push ups on the sideline in the middle of a game because he had become frustrated with the performance. Too bad he didn't join them!

I think that there is zero chance Leach would end up at Tennessee. He either stays in Pullman, or could follow Bill Moos from Pullman to Lincoln - you have to figure that Riley is toast at Nebraska after the AD change. Moos is the former Oregon AD who lured Leach to the Palouse from his exile in the Florida Keys. It took him awhile to turn the program around, but he has done so in a big way. We aren't quite where we were at the end of the Mike Price era but we are close. They will have a 10-win season if they beat UW in the Apple Cup next week.

My money is still on Scott Frost to go to Tennessee. I just hope that Leach stays put so that we can enjoy many more of those irreverent press conferences.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #5
ElKabong

Fayettenam has been a term since the 60s. Not a slam. Back then it was a very unpleasant place for visiting football fans (has since changed dramatically, as has that area/ region). My folks drove their in the mid 60s during the Donnie Anderson era, my brother was on the Frosh team. Our car was keyed as was every car w/ a Tech sticker. That was common back then in Fayetteville

Like I say, it's changed quite a bit there, cool place for the most part

If Leacj goes anywhere, it's Ark, in my opinon. He's had nice things to say about the atmophere during games in Ark...again, he'd be an outsider so I'm not sure they'd go after him.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:20 AM   #6
jay68802

First of all, there has been plenty of news reports of Nebraska looking for a new coach. The new AD has stated that the "evaluation" of the football program is ongoing and no decision will be made until after the season is over. They have never disputed the rumors of looking at Scott Frost or any other coach for the job. So it is a for gone conclusion that our coach will be fired. The problem that comes from this is that Nebraska can not afford to be turned down by Frost. Not getting Frost as the next head coach would send a huge negative message to everyone. In my opinion, Nebraska will top any offer for Frost to get him here, and the announcement will be made when Frost says go ahead.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
jay68802

Other notes.
Frost had Ahman Green as his running back, not Phillips. Fayetteville is a great place to go for a football game. Saw them play against Ole Miss and had a blast. Mike Leach would hate Nebraska, IMO. But he is one of my favorite coaches to listen to.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #8
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Other notes.
Frost had Ahman Green as his running back, not Phillips. Fayetteville is a great place to go for a football game. Saw them play against Ole Miss and had a blast. Mike Leach would hate Nebraska, IMO. But he is one of my favorite coaches to listen to.
Just checked wikipedia, Frost and Phillips were teammates on the 1995 team. Frost I believe started in 96 and 97, may have had to sit out 95 due to xfer rules

Reason I recall Frost was there the same time Phillips was there, was the incident where Phillips broke into Frost's apartment and dragged a girl down some stairs and beat her up a bit. I do recall that. Frost may have been in transfer status, but he was on that squad / campus

I agree, Leach is a fun guy. Entertaining
Old 11-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #9
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
First of all, there has been plenty of news reports of Nebraska looking for a new coach. The new AD has stated that the "evaluation" of the football program is ongoing and no decision will be made until after the season is over. They have never disputed the rumors of looking at Scott Frost or any other coach for the job. So it is a for gone conclusion that our coach will be fired. The problem that comes from this is that Nebraska can not afford to be turned down by Frost. Not getting Frost as the next head coach would send a huge negative message to everyone. In my opinion, Nebraska will top any offer for Frost to get him here, and the announcement will be made when Frost says go ahead.
I'd be shocked if Frost didn't accept. He's done well @ USF, so the track record is there. He'd be a true hero if he turned the program around.

FWIW, I really liked Reilly. Good guy, seems to do things right off the field (I haven't kept up w/ NU football closely after they went to the b1g, so maybe I'm off on my perception of him). I always pull for those types to succeed. Wish it had worked out for him, same for Frost if he is the choice
Old 11-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #10
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
My money is still on Scott Frost to go to Tennessee.
If Frost is SEC-ready, wouldn't Florida make more sense?
rastajenk is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
If Frost is SEC-ready, wouldn't Florida make more sense?
They appear to be aggressively pursuing Chip Kelly, but now UCLA has entered the picture, so you never know.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I'd be shocked if Frost didn't accept. He's done well @ USF, so the track record is there. He'd be a true hero if he turned the program around.

FWIW, I really liked Reilly. Good guy, seems to do things right off the field (I haven't kept up w/ NU football closely after they went to the b1g, so maybe I'm off on my perception of him). I always pull for those types to succeed. Wish it had worked out for him, same for Frost if he is the choice
Reilly has a great reputation as a person. You don't see it often, if ever, when a guy leaves a school for another job, that job does not work out, and then the school takes him back. That is exactly what happened after Reilly left Oregon State for the NFL. Nebraska wanted the anti-Bo Pelini so they went with Reilly. Could it be that Reilly ends up back at Oregon State for a third time?
Old 11-21-2017, 01:41 AM   #13
ElKabong

If Bielema is hired after getting the axe from Ark, woe is the fool program dumb enough to take him.

Is he too fat to put one foot in front of another without falling down, or is this his Hillary Clinton moment? Funny stuff

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...a-falling-down
Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #14
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
If Bielema is hired after getting the axe from Ark, woe is the fool program dumb enough to take him.

Is he too fat to put one foot in front of another without falling down, or is this his Hillary Clinton moment? Funny stuff

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013...a-falling-down
Forgot about 95 and Frost sitting that year. Bielema has been kicked around at Nebraska because he was from Wisconsin and that program was modeled after Nebraska. I do not think the football gods would allow Nebraska to hire him unless they really want to screw with Nebraska.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
ElKabong

NU can do better than Bielema. I see him as an espn analyst, he'd actually be good at it perhaps. As a coach, he's run Arkansas down pretty bad. He'd have to take a huge step down from Ark (as a HC) I'd think, as in a non P5 conference.

The B1G was fairly weak when he was at Wiscy, it's a much more competitive conference these days. Not sure he could survive that conference nowdays

Last edited by ElKabong; 11-21-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: