Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-14-2017, 03:20 AM   #31
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If it doesn't change it will go extinct.
I'm beginning to think it can never change enough.

Today, Tommy Nobis passed away. My first Lonhgorn hero. The past few years he was showing increasing signs of CTE. Breaks my heart.

The past few years I've tried to make the switch to soccer, never could fully do it. College football has been a huge part of my life when it comes to entertainment, but I know I have to switch. It's hard to see these kids knock the hell out of each other knowing the consequences.

A lot of us played the game, wonder how guys that played pro survive it. Like a lot of folks, I played after hard hits where my eyes felt like tuning forks after hitting someone hard, and vice verse. You take the hit, don't leave the field because that's "what a football player does" or is. Leave game and you were a pussy. That mindset thankfully has changed but the game is still brutal. I just can't fully love it the way I did at one time. The results for players are too grave
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I wish I had never played

I was undersized but did very well

I feel it now.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #33
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
I thought the Seattle guy over the center was trying to create a fumble and not trying to hurt the center. Maybe hoping for a Herm Edwards vs Giants moment from many years ago.

The Houston QB getting leveled in his own end zone and twitching while on the ground struggling to get back up and them being allowed to play the next series was much worse than anything that happened in the Jax- Sea game.
I think that what happened at the end of Sea-Jax and the premise of this thread are two different things. The end of the Sea-Jax game was simply a case of very, very poor sportsmanship on the part of the Seahawks - my Seahawks by the way Bennett says that he was trying to create a fumble although I don't think that anybody who follow football has ever seen that ploy work at any level. Bennett is an idiot and I hope that his time in Seattle is coming to an end after this season.

Football has become increasingly brutal over the years as players have become bigger, stronger and faster. I see lip service and minimal change directed toward the issue. There are always going to be players lining up to play college and pro football. The allure of an education and the big money of the NFL is just too much to say no to. One thing that college football has done that I like is the targeting rule. It is a reviewable play which sometimes actually works in favor of the accused player. If deemed targeting, the players is ejected from the current game and the first half of the following game. That is huge!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
I'm beginning to think it can never change enough.

Today, Tommy Nobis passed away. My first Lonhgorn hero. The past few years he was showing increasing signs of CTE. Breaks my heart.

The past few years I've tried to make the switch to soccer, never could fully do it. College football has been a huge part of my life when it comes to entertainment, but I know I have to switch. It's hard to see these kids knock the hell out of each other knowing the consequences.

A lot of us played the game, wonder how guys that played pro survive it. Like a lot of folks, I played after hard hits where my eyes felt like tuning forks after hitting someone hard, and vice verse. You take the hit, don't leave the field because that's "what a football player does" or is. Leave game and you were a pussy. That mindset thankfully has changed but the game is still brutal. I just can't fully love it the way I did at one time. The results for players are too grave
I read a story yesterday about Larry Johnson, former running back for the Chiefs, and it is downright terrifying---and he is only 38 years old.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #35
kingfin66
Bombardier

Another head injury in tonight's game. Brandon Williams of the Colts was carted off the field and taken to the hospital with a head injury. The reports are good: he is alert and has movement of all limbs. It was another helmet to helmet hit.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #36
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66 View Post
I think that what happened at the end of Sea-Jax and the premise of this thread are two different things. The end of the Sea-Jax game was simply a case of very, very poor sportsmanship on the part of the Seahawks - my Seahawks by the way Bennett says that he was trying to create a fumble although I don't think that anybody who follow football has ever seen that ploy work at any level. Bennett is an idiot and I hope that his time in Seattle is coming to an end after this season.

Football has become increasingly brutal over the years as players have become bigger, stronger and faster. I see lip service and minimal change directed toward the issue. There are always going to be players lining up to play college and pro football. The allure of an education and the big money of the NFL is just too much to say no to. One thing that college football has done that I like is the targeting rule. It is a reviewable play which sometimes actually works in favor of the accused player. If deemed targeting, the players is ejected from the current game and the first half of the following game. That is huge!
PA doesn't approve of the word retarded being used here, but it applies to both Michael and martellus Bennett. Have followed those two since their recruiting escapades in high school, they're the most self absorbed, mentally deficient athletes I've known or heard of. And that's saying a lot.

Even Aggies have turned on them, and that takes a great deal. " once an aggie, always an aggie" is more than lip service to those people down there. Read Texags.com, the alumni and fans actually hate those two. A lot of a&m players have gotten in trouble but they've always had some degree of support from Aggies. The Bennett's have been disowned, esp Michael.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
PA doesn't approve of the word retarded being used here, but it applies to both Michael and martellus Bennett. Have followed those two since their recruiting escapades in high school, they're the most self absorbed, mentally deficient athletes I've known or heard of. And that's saying a lot.

Even Aggies have turned on them, and that takes a great deal. " once an aggie, always an aggie" is more than lip service to those people down there. Read Texags.com, the alumni and fans actually hate those two. A lot of a&m players have gotten in trouble but they've always had some degree of support from Aggies. The Bennett's have been disowned, esp Michael.
Just to be clear on this, it isn't a PA thing, it is a modern society thing. It just isn't an acceptable term any longer and really never should have been.

http://www.r-word.org/r-word-effects-of-the-word.aspx
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 12:16 AM   #38
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:

So let's not use that word. Where MB is concerned, we are fair to just refer to him as an idiot, or an effing moron. A living brain donor if you will. I don't know too much about the brother. Michael last year made a huge point about not wanting offensive lineman diving at his knees. He is a hypocrite and a poor loser. Also, in interviews he thinks he is much funnier, irreverent and witty than he really is.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #39
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
So let's not use that word. Where MB is concerned, we are fair to just refer to him as an idiot, or an effing moron. A living brain donor if you will. I don't know too much about the brother. Michael last year made a huge point about not wanting offensive lineman diving at his knees. He is a hypocrite and a poor loser. Also, in interviews he thinks he is much funnier, irreverent and witty than he really is.
Until World War 2, idiot, imbecile and moron were clinical terms to describe different levels of mental retardation.Morons had IQ levels of 51-70 (A 70 IQ is the cutoff point for people with intellectual disabilities), imbeciles had IQ scores of 25-50 and idiots's scores were below 25

Mild, moderate and severe are now the words used to replace them

So it's not really that different using those terms as opposed to the banned terms.It's simply moved into the popular vernacular.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2017, 10:04 AM   #40
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Until World War 2, idiot, imbecile and moron were clinical terms to describe different levels of mental retardation.Morons had IQ levels of 51-70 (A 70 IQ is the cutoff point for people with intellectual disabilities), imbeciles had IQ scores of 25-50 and idiots's scores were below 25

Mild, moderate and severe are now the words used to replace them

So it's not really that different using those terms as opposed to the banned terms.It's simply moved into the popular vernacular.
I certainly can't argue the numbers above where Michael Bennett's actions are concerned. Thanks for sharing them and validating my post. As for the self-righteous tone in which they were really intended Mr. Holier Than Thou; I say Piss Off.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #41
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
I certainly can't argue the numbers above where Michael Bennett's actions are concerned. Thanks for sharing them and validating my post. As for the self-righteous tone in which they were really intended Mr. Holier Than Thou; I say Piss Off.
To barahona44,

First, let me say that I apologize for the part in bold. Our moderator pointed out that it was unnecessary. I agree.

My comments were clearly aimed at stating my opinion about Michael Bennett and were not aimed at any particular group of people. What was once considered verboten is now often quite acceptable. I believe that is the case with the words I used. I think you know that already.

Now, please let us resume the It's a Brutal Game thread.

It is!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: