Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #1
bushwick

Norman McKnight

I started researching the results after claim from McKnight during this Woodbine meet. Not a single person has won a race with claim from McKnight this year at Woodbine I find it hard to believe as many claimers as this guy runs nobody has won with a claim. Not next out mind you but ever! During meet. I have to be missing something.
bushwick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 01:02 AM   #2
P Matties Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick View Post
I started researching the results after claim from McKnight during this Woodbine meet. Not a single person has won a race with claim from McKnight this year at Woodbine I find it hard to believe as many claimers as this guy runs nobody has won with a claim. Not next out mind you but ever! During meet. I have to be missing something.
Do you have a sample size? If it's significant, that's enough grounds for an investigation, hearing, whatever. Information that goes against common sense should be taken into consideration for cleaning this game up. The current model of testing doesn't work. This should be the path that should be taken....Even if his edge is by legal means, the industry should do everything in its power to stop things like this from happening. You can't have a fair claiming game in an environment like this.
P Matties Jr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
lamboguy

some excellent points here and not trying to be specific to McKnight whom i have absolutely no idea about.

owning and training horses should be treated as a privilege and not as a right. limits need to be tested as to amounts of horses a trainer can train and an owner can own. that along with many other things can help to bring many more people into this game.

What Tim Ritvo is doing in Southern Cal is a pretty good first step that i believe in time will have a major bearing on the sport. the game needs more owners, trainers, and bettors. if its to remain a para-mutuel betting sport the tote needs more security and different rules.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
bushwick

My numbers are based on me digging thru available information through equibase. I looked this up manually so there is room for error I count him running 229 horses available for a tag with 23 being claimed a handful were recently so their unable to run back. I find it odd so few claims off him and so little sucess.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
clicknow

Quote:
My numbers are based on me digging thru available information through equibase. I looked this up manually so there is room for error I count him running 229 horses available for a tag with 23 being claimed a handful were recently so their unable to run back. I find it odd so few claims off him and so little sucess.
Well if you want to look these up he won a few today ... all races were claiming except Sunny's Rainbow was an allowance:

Dan the Tin Man
Special Concoction
Reimagined
Sunny's Rainbow
Brews Tooney Toss

5 races out of 10 today at Woodbine

Dunno if any of them got claimed, didn't get that far.

Last edited by clicknow; 12-10-2017 at 10:24 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
bushwick

I am very well aware of the success of Mr. McKnight. It is the lack of success that horses that leave his care attain that is very odd.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
clicknow

Quote:
I am very well aware of the success of Mr. McKnight. It is the lack of success that horses that leave his care attain that is very odd.
I was just giving you the names of the horses so you could see if they get or got claimed so you could follow them.

Interesting project!
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 02:08 AM   #8
Trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Well if you want to look these up he won a few today ... all races were claiming except Sunny's Rainbow was an allowance:

Dan the Tin Man
Special Concoction
Reimagined
Sunny's Rainbow
Brews Tooney Toss

5 races out of 10 today at Woodbine

Dunno if any of them got claimed, didn't get that far.
That second name is pretty funny considering the conversation.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

By far his most successful year ever, huge increase in number of wins and purse money while also increasing his win percentage from 28 to 32 over the last year. Last year had been his best year ever before this year.

Win percentage:

2006-2010: 16%
2011-2015: 20%
2016-2017: 31%

If someone could tip off the next time he enters a horse I'll look up all the horses claimed from him this year in Formulator.

Last edited by cj; 12-12-2017 at 08:44 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #10
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Any thoughts on why this may be the case...? That when horses leave his barn, they underperforming, or at least do not win next out, or was it that they quit winning entirely...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #11
Racetrack Playa
regular user

I was wondering how many of those claimed horses were maidens?

I think N. McKnight is going to Hot Springs this winter, 1st time Oaklawn
He trains a lot of Bruno Schickedanz horses.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #12
HoofedInTheChest

Another Woodbine trainer that i find suspicious is Denyse McClachrie, something smells with that barn, and i’m not referring to the horse poop.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 10:56 PM   #13
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest View Post
Another Woodbine trainer that i find suspicious is Denyse McClachrie, something smells with that barn, and i’m not referring to the horse poop.
2017 22%
2016 17%
2015 15%
2014 11%
2013 7%

Usually the best place to look first is the owners. I haven't checked this one, but many times owners drive the win percentages. The starts and earnings for this one have been trending up too.

Last edited by cj; 12-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
bushwick

The 23 claimed horses failed to win a race the rest of the meeting.
I also agree about the McClatcherie outfit.
When they drop one it is finished!
Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
0o0o0

Hey guys its 2018 the game is soooooo far changed.....

you don't handicap the horses or riders the barn, the track, or the weather, or the sire, or the surface, or rail, or the horoscope and definately don't handicap the tote boards anymore.

You handicap the trainers and only the trainers.

Look up the doping list and fines online.. read the fines they get...
The problem is... the fines and the suspensions are like 1/30th of their earnings per year... so they do it.. and move tracks, then return a year later.

Hate to be the one to tell ya.. but its 2018.. a year later on this thread and the man in question is actually 1% even better than last year.
0o0o0 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply