Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-22-2018, 03:13 PM   #31
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Given the early BRIS PPs for the Belmont Stakes, I've eliminated Justify and Audible from the win spot. So hope they both run and take a lot of $$.
What in those PPs encouraged that decision?
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #32
clicknow

Quote:
Given the early BRIS PPs for the Belmont Stakes, I've eliminated Justify and Audible from the win spot. So hope they both run and take a lot of $$.
oops sorry, I meant Vino Rosso and Audible.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2018, 04:44 PM   #33
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
What in those PPs encouraged that decision?
I only used the PPs to find the probables for the race, so I'd have something to start in on.

I am one who feels that while performance always trumps pedigree, that the Belmont is *different*.

The year I did really well in this race (besides the year when I'll Have Another scratched out) was when Tonalist won w/Commissioner running 2nd. I used pretty much zero performance factors that year, capped it entirely on pedigree (killed me to leave off Chrome), only used the PPs for angles I used like "did not run in the Preakness", "never won a stakes race", "had a previous race at BEL" for finding horses who might run 2nd. All my friends were giving me a hard time about a Tapit getting 12F.

PPs were so "off" on their predictions that year.

Like any other method, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If it looks like the odds are going to be very favorable when I reach my outcome, I use it.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-22-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #34
MadVindication

Quote:
I only used the PPs to find the probables for the race, so I'd have something to start in on.

I am one who feels that while performance always trumps pedigree, that the Belmont is *different*.

The year I did really well in this race (besides the year when I'll Have Another scratched out) was when Tonalist won w/Commissioner running 2nd. I used pretty much zero performance factors that year, capped it entirely on pedigree (killed me to leave off Chrome), only used the PPs for angles I used like "did not run in the Preakness", "never won a stakes race", "had a previous race at BEL" for finding horses who might run 2nd. All my friends were giving me a hard time about a Tapit getting 12F.

Like any other method, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If it looks like the odds are going to be very favorable when I reach my outcome, I use it.

I agree with you there. and will do mostly odds/pedigree. Performance wise I like what I seen from tenfold keeping a steady run. Since most the jockeys will be experienced what else is there when theres those unknowns.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #35
clicknow

I'd be very surprised if Audible goes in the Belmont. No works since the KY Derby.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #36
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.
Ooh, Good one!
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 01:54 PM   #37
f2tornado

From the breeding angles, before Tapit progeny started winning the race (Hofburg potentially represents this year) the Raise A Native sire line coupled with the Northern Dancer dam sire line was red hot. Blended Citizen and Solomini fit this mold. Buckpasser-x hoses have done well. Vino Rosso, Audible, Bravazo, and Hofburg fit. Fast closing fractions at 9F have translated to Belmont winners. Justify, Vino Rosso, Audible, Hofburg, and perhaps others hit on this angle. Early speed also helps. Horses sitting more than 3-4 lengths off the leaders at the 3/4 in a big prep tend to miss the win pool in the Belmont. Justify, Audible, Hofburg, Blended Citizen. Horses within that margin at the mile pole in a crown race also work. Tenfold.

I plan on playing against Justify this time but still gotta pick the right horse(s). a lot to choose from before comparing figures. Hofburg seemingly fits most angles and I might simply play him over all/all.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #38
CincyHorseplayer

Maybe we can start calling the Apollo phenomenon the blessing of Apollo not the curse of Apollo. Since starts are getting more and more infrequent for younger horses and careers delayed it makes sense that the curse of 1882 was going to fall. But getting to this point with 3 races in 5 weeks and going 12 furlongs the bright shining hope will falter by the lack of seasoning and foundation and too much too soon, if only for a day, dropping gifts into our greedy arms!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #39
dilanesp

Quote:

Commissioner, as I recall, had one of the greatest Belmont Stakes pedigrees in history. I think he had 3 Belmont winners in the first couple of generations.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #40
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Commissioner, as I recall, had one of the greatest Belmont Stakes pedigrees in history. I think he had 3 Belmont winners in the first couple of generations.

That was an underrated field. Tonalist, Commissioner, and Medal Count all had solid pedigrees for the Belmont. Wicked Strong and General a Rod's weren't too shabby either.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #41
jocko699
Resurrectionist

My Boy Jack

Bypassing the Belmont

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...un_on_turf_123
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 PM   #42
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Yes, you remember correctly. I couldn't wait to get to the track that day. And one of the best 12F trainer in the nation (IMHO) Clement had Tonalist. How did he go off at such long odds...

BTW, a horse who was in that race, trained by Mott, and ridden by Mike Smith (eased in the stretch) is now running (very) low level claiming races at Horsemen's Park. He's on his 48 start or something. His current entry is for a $2,500 claiming race.

Matuszak, who is now 7 years old. Hope he gets a retirement....doesn't look promising.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-23-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #43
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
That was an underrated field. Tonalist, Commissioner, and Medal Count all had solid pedigrees for the Belmont. Wicked Strong and General a Rod's weren't too shabby either.
I took Medal Count in all 3 spots of the tri and blew that one up. Was my last big score in the TC events.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #44
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Yes, you remember correctly. I couldn't wait to get to the track that day. And one of the best 12F trainer in the nation (IMHO) Clement had Tonalist. How did he go off at such long odds...

BTW, a horse who was in that race, trained by Mott, and ridden by Mike Smith (eased in the stretch) is now running (very) low level claiming races at Horsemen's Park. He's on his 48 start or something. His current entry is for a $2,500 claiming race.

Matuszak, who is now 7 years old. Hope he gets a retirement....doesn't look promising.
Looking back I have no idea why I didn't bet Tonalist! I was not convinced of Chrome.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:33 PM   #45
Fightingirish51195

Looks like noble Indy is being pointed to the Belmont. He was the most outside speed and the derby where there was plenty of speed in that race and it was wet. That’s a throw away race for me. He ran against it in the LA derby. I expect a much better effort should he run in this race
Fightingirish51195 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: