Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneF View Post
Very well said ...

Personally my own learning experience from this derby was to be smarter about buying into hype. I bought it hook, line and sinker about what a strong group of 3 year olds this was, but in reality this years crop of horses is very weak.
Soooooo... your $3 million Monster got beat 53 lengths by a weak crop of 3 year olds? Maybe he should be the one who goes to Thistle... oh wait, they don’t have turf at Thistle!
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #17
TiffaniO
Queen B

Quote:
I wish they would pull a Rachel Alexandra and run Monomoy Girl in the Preakness, but will never happen
I was actually sitting beside one of the owners of Monomoy Girl Friday during the race. He’s a good friend of mine and just last weekend we went to Belmont Park together. Anyway they aren’t foolish enough to do that. It’s the Acorn on Belmont weekend.
TiffaniO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #18
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
Someone posted a comment that they'd rather own Thunder Snow than Always Dreaming. I think that's apt. There's more than the derby out there.

Do you think they should have scratched Mendy with the weather how it was? Did the jockey just pull him out of the race at the bad start?

I don't understand while they still ran him, if they could tell he was realy badly affected by the crowd and rain.
If you recall, years ago, Edgar Prado was concerned going to the gate, he felt Barbaro wasn't warming up well. And we know how that ended.

In the Breeders' Cup Classic at Monmouth, years ago, the same connections of Mendelssohn (Magnier, Tabor and Smith-Coolmore) brought over George Washington, who in the past year had failed at stud. He ran in the Classic on a sea of slop. He shattered his leg in the stretch and was euthanized on the track. Aiden O'Brien said at the time "it was one of the worst days of my life."

Ryan Moore, to me, did the right thing for his horse. I would fault no one for scratching on a track like Churchill had on Saturday. I'm sure O'Brien could remember the pain of losing George Washington. .... I would fault no one for scratching on a track like Churchill on Saturday, but this is just me.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #19
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
If you recall, years ago, Edgar Prado was concerned going to the gate, he felt Barbaro wasn't warming up well. And we know how that ended.

In the Breeders' Cup Classic at Monmouth, years ago, the same connections of Mendelssohn (Magnier, Tabor and Smith-Coolmore) brought over George Washington, who in the past year had failed at stud. He ran in the Classic on a sea of slop. He shattered his leg in the stretch and was euthanized on the track. Aiden O'Brien said at the time "it was one of the worst days of my life."

Ryan Moore, to me, did the right thing for his horse. I would fault no one for scratching on a track like Churchill had on Saturday. I'm sure O'Brien could remember the pain of losing George Washington. .... I would fault no one for scratching on a track like Churchill on Saturday, but this is just me.
I think they did the right thing I just think they should have scratched him from the race altogether but I don't know enough to understand how the trainers/owners might assess the risk to the horse of running at all. I wasn't worried so much about the N. American horses but, as exciting as the off conditions can be, I really hated to see the weather play out for them like that. The danger to the people and horses on the track. But I'm not some overzealous animal rights activist so glad that the show always goes on.

They are such tough, tough animals yet tragically vulnerable at the same time.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM   #20
Grits

They are, indeed, tough and vulnerable. Every one of them that ran Saturday qualifies. This includes Mendelssohn who had never experienced anything like it--including the crowd, the track, etc. etc.

Welcome to Pace Advantage!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 12:08 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Thanks for pointing out the early fractions but what was the final time ? lol

Slow late - so where were all the other GREAT racehorses behind him?

Sucking air.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #22
PowerUpPaynter

Did Magnum Moon finish the race yet?
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #23
wreckless

lol, another awesome derby week on the forums. seems like every year someone sets themselves up for a beating - good on you for taking it like a man , LoneF.

after reading a ton of posts from the members on here that i hold in high regard/align with, I ended up believing in Justify and got him early at 12-1 to win (Thanks R Fisher).

i then hedged that with a 1-2 prop bet that "the KD winner will not win the Preakness"

looking forward Pimlico

Last edited by wreckless; 05-07-2018 at 12:26 PM.
wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 12:40 PM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Very well said ...

Personally my own learning experience from this derby was to be smarter about buying into hype. I bought it hook, line and sinker about what a strong group of 3 year olds this was, but in reality this years crop of horses is very weak.
You don't know that.

I remember in 1987 thinking "what a slow Derby". Turned out to be an excellent 3 year old class and the Derby winner, who notched his 2nd lifetime win in the race, turned out to be the best American racehorse in 7 years.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 12:54 PM   #25
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
Soooooo... your $3 million Monster got beat 53 lengths by a weak crop of 3 year olds? Maybe he should be the one who goes to Thistle... oh wait, they don’t have turf at Thistle!
LOL ....

Don’t worry Sporting Chance is lying in wait for the Preakness !!!
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #26
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaniO View Post
I was actually sitting beside one of the owners of Monomoy Girl Friday during the race. He’s a good friend of mine and just last weekend we went to Belmont Park together. Anyway they aren’t foolish enough to do that. It’s the Acorn on Belmont weekend.
I knew it would never happen, but she was much more impressive winning the KY oaks than Justify was winning the derby ...
Old 05-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #27
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Slow late - so where were all the other GREAT racehorses behind him?

Sucking air.
That’s my point ... If there was anything even remotely quality behind him ....
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #28
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
Did Magnum Moon finish the race yet?
If Justify and Magnum Moon had swapped post positions before the race than you are looking at a very different outcome ...
Old 05-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
That’s my point ... If there was anything even remotely quality behind him ....
You're still...not...getting...it
Old 05-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #30
LoneF
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
You don't know that.

I remember in 1987 thinking "what a slow Derby". Turned out to be an excellent 3 year old class and the Derby winner, who notched his 2nd lifetime win in the race, turned out to be the best American racehorse in 7 years.
It wasn’t just the slow time but it was the fact that nothing came running.

Did you hear Mike Smith comments to the outrider right after the race ?