Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Burls
Veteran

America's Newest Senator

Yes folks, I'm talking about none other than Minnesota's own Senator Al Franken.
Tomorrow, they should be announcing that he has won the recount.
From there, red tape and shenanigans are likely to follow.
But that will only result in minor delays of the inevitable.

Maybe Rush will interview US Senator Al Franken on his show.

Last edited by Burls; 01-04-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Burls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He would fit better on the Daily Show....one comic to another. Rush is far too smart for Al to understand the questions!

I do like how you classify possible legal challenges as shenanigans, though, especially considering all the statistical miracles that had to occur to give him those votes.

btw, what's your take on ding Harry Reid about to violate the constitution and refuse to seat the Illinois appointee? Reid today said that they decide who sits in the senate. Guess no one told him about the people doing that, but then maybe he thinks the new visitor center that will keep smelly commoners away from him have changed that. But, the gov of Ill has not been charged and not convicted, so his appointment is totally legal. Weren't you lefties all in an uproar when you perceived Bush as violating your rights? Wassup now? Not worried about it anymore? Not good to stop terror attacks, but ok to deny a legal appointee his rightful seat in the senate? Hmmmmmm.

How amusing that the left is now on the very sides they cried about for 8 years - stolen elections and ignoring the constitution.

Oh, it is going to be fun around here.........as Ralph would say,"Duplicity!"
Old 01-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Nmytwenties

Now why would the world scoff at having a system of government thrust upon them that would give them "leaders" like this?

Democracy was never supposed to be a system where every featherless biped got a say in who the leaders were to be, the ancient Greeks that coined the term would be rolling over in their graves.

How can the perceptive minority of people who actually have some idea of what's going on participate in a system that gives a welfare rat with 9 kids as much say in who America's leaders are as a nuclear scientist?? It's madness and this nation deserves Senator Franken as a result of its utter apathy in the face of tyranny and corruption.

The words of H.L. Mencken never rang more true, Democracy is the worship of jackals by JACKASSES. I guess the really tragic thing is that some people still think this system is still worth dying for. They would be smarter to risk it all to help in toppling the whole stinking cesspool.

Just to affirm things, I am no conservative and of course not a lefty. I gave up long ago on this puppet show known as "Democrats vs Republicans" long ago. Its time to start thinking outside the boundaries set by the media bosses.
Nmytwenties is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Burls
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
What's your take on ding Harry Reid about to violate the constitution and refuse to seat the Illinois appointee? Reid today said that they decide who sits in the senate. Guess no one told him about the people doing that, but then maybe he thinks the new visitor center that will keep smelly commoners away from him have changed that. But, the gov of Ill has not been charged and not convicted, so his appointment is totally legal. Weren't you lefties all in an uproar when you perceived Bush as violating your rights? Wassup now? Not worried about it anymore? Not good to stop terror attacks, but ok to deny a legal appointee his rightful seat in the senate? Hmmmmmm.
You are aware, of course, Tom, that one of the political matters we agree on is that Harry Reid AND Nancy Pelosi are both dufuses. So don't look to me to defend either of their courses of action.
That said, the Senate's 2009 commencement on Tuesday should be interesting if nothing else with both Al Franken and Roland Burris showing up at the Capitol to have their Senate appointments certified.
Burls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
jballscalls

Al Franken told lies about O'reilly in public and never even had the decency to recant his statements.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burls
You are aware, of course, Tom, that one of the political matters we agree on is that Harry Reid AND Nancy Pelosi are both dufuses. So don't look to me to defend either of their courses of action. I applaud you!
That said, the Senate's 2009 commencement on Tuesday should be interesting if nothing else with both Al Franken and Roland Burris showing up at the Capitol to have their Senate appointments certified. Hehehe!
It should be interesting. I love it when they eat their young.
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #7
FUGITIVE77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
He would fit better on the Daily Show....one comic to another. Rush is far too smart for Al to understand the questions!

I do like how you classify possible legal challenges as shenanigans, though, especially considering all the statistical miracles that had to occur to give him those votes.

btw, what's your take on ding Harry Reid about to violate the constitution and refuse to seat the Illinois appointee? Reid today said that they decide who sits in the senate. Guess no one told him about the people doing that, but then maybe he thinks the new visitor center that will keep smelly commoners away from him have changed that. But, the gov of Ill has not been charged and not convicted, so his appointment is totally legal. Weren't you lefties all in an uproar when you perceived Bush as violating your rights? Wassup now? Not worried about it anymore? Not good to stop terror attacks, but ok to deny a legal appointee his rightful seat in the senate? Hmmmmmm.

How amusing that the left is now on the very sides they cried about for 8 years - stolen elections and ignoring the constitution.

Oh, it is going to be fun around here.........as Ralph would say,"Duplicity!"
Obviously you are not from Illinois where the state Democrats and the Republicans make the old Capone and Moran gangs look like kids play. Where Where Roland "Tombstone" Burris would sell his soul for a nickel to be Senator. One of the few honest poll we had in the last 20 years was Senator Peter Fitzgerald who appointed an out of town federal prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald to round up all these corrupt polls (including Gov Ryan and Gov Blago). Unfortunately he was kicked out by the Illinois Combine which controls the strings of the state Republican party and that's a shame. Let's hope Daly is next to go.

The death sentence comes in many forms, affecting each man in a different way. For some, it means an end to pain. For others, it becomes a challenge to live. For a fugitive, the challenge is repeated with every new turn of the road.
FUGITIVE77 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmytwenties
Now why would the world scoff at having a system of government thrust upon them that would give them "leaders" like this?

Democracy was never supposed to be a system where every featherless biped got a say in who the leaders were to be, the ancient Greeks that coined the term would be rolling over in their graves.

How can the perceptive minority of people who actually have some idea of what's going on participate in a system that gives a welfare rat with 9 kids as much say in who America's leaders are as a nuclear scientist?? It's madness and this nation deserves Senator Franken as a result of its utter apathy in the face of tyranny and corruption.
Ahh...someone who gets it. And herein is one of the primary weaknesses democratic system. Those who "get it" can't really participate. But the alternative you suggest ain't so hot either because then we'd be left with a caste system, which would present other serious problems.

This is precisely why all human governments must fail and will fail. All forms of government are as imperfect as the people who form them. And here we are worried about saving the environment when our utmost concern should be looking for the way to save ourselves from ourselves.

Quote:
The words of H.L. Mencken never rang more true, Democracy is the worship of jackals by JACKASSES. I guess the really tragic thing is that some people still think this system is still worth dying for. They would be smarter to risk it all to help in toppling the whole stinking cesspool.
I have frequently expressed Mencken's sentiments on this forum. He's on the mark.

Boxcar
Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
witchdoctor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
He would fit better on the Daily Show.
Actually, Franken is a great fit for the Senate. After all, it is a bad joke.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor
Actually, Franken is a great fit for the Senate. After all, it is a bad joke.
You're quite right. He'll fit in nicely with this pathetic senate.

Boxcar
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #11
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Maybe the two new Senators can hang out together, Franken & Burris. We can call them Bad Joke & Boo Hiss.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
toetoe
Veteran

Nmytwenties,

So true, but aristocracy (which we most decidedly do NOT have), meaning "rule of/by the best," is a dirty word.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toetoe
Nmytwenties,

So true, but aristocracy (which we most decidedly do NOT have), meaning "rule of/by the best," is a dirty word.
Seems we have more of an Elected Aristocracy, where we reelect/appoint people over and over, and their family members, for life. Bushes, Clintons, Kennedy's, and so many mutli-term Congressmen & Senators - both sides of isle has their entrenched politicians for essentially life. It took until Sen Jesse Helms died at the age of 100 before he was finally out of office - I couldn't help believe, while he was sitting there slobbering on himself those last couple years, that that state didn't have ANYONE else ready to lead, introduced to his contacts and key turnover things - I know the position is (supposed to be/used to be) a high honor and all and don't really intend any disrespect - but come on! Sen Byrd, I haven't checked on him lately. Ted Kennedy, well, heard he's a short-timer. There has GOT to be some other people, or at least well-groomed successors! One would think - and hope!

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 01-05-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
lsbets

I have a lot of respect for Al Franken. I disagree with him politically, but at a time when entertainers were all speaking out against the war and jumping on the Kerry bandwagon, Franken was one of the very few liberal entertainers to come over to Iraq and perform for us. He is one of the very few prominent liberal entertainers who actually does support the troops, so I respect the guy.
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
Franken was one of the very few liberal entertainers to come over to Iraq and perform for us.
Perform what, comedy?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply