Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
FenceBored

Gomez rewarded with Woolf Award for BC win

Last year Borel, this year Gomez. This makes two years in a row that the Woolf goes to the jockey of a horse who defeated Zenyatta for something. Hmmm.
... Garrett Gomez, a two-time Eclipse Award winner, will become the 62nd recipient of the prestigious Santa Anita George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award.

Nicknamed “Go-Go” for his hard-charging style, Gomez is considered one of the best finishers in modern racing history. This ability was never more evident than in the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) at Churchill Downs on Nov. 6.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenceBored
Last year Borel, this year Gomez. This makes two years in a row that the Woolf goes to the jockey of a horse who defeated Zenyatta for something. Hmmm.
He is a fine rider and most deserving. Will you and those like you ever give the Zenyatta thing a rest? Probably not. Yes, a vast conspiracy is what it was...
Old 02-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG
He is a fine rider and most deserving. Will you and those like you ever give the Zenyatta thing a rest? Probably not. Yes, a vast conspiracy is what it was...
"[Y]ou and those like you?" Do you mean people like Jay Privman who calls those who don't 'believe' flat-earthers? You mean like the journalists who publish articles on her trip to the breeding shed? You mean like all the people who regularly post comments on Zenyatta's website? Those people?

Or, do you mean the people who composed the press release for the George Woolf Award this year who wrote:
Gomez, nursing an injured shoulder, called upon every ounce of his strength and big-money savvy to win the Classic aboard Blame, while fighting off the late charge of the great Zenyatta by mere inches.
-- http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...e.cgi?id=21018
or
-- http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...11-woolf-award
Those people?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
Sericm
Veteran

Quote:

... Garrett Gomez, a two-time Eclipse Award winner, will become the 62nd recipient of the prestigious Santa Anita George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award.

Nicknamed “Go-Go” for his hard-charging style, Gomez is considered one of the best finishers in modern racing history. This ability was never more evident than in the $5 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (gr. I) at Churchill Downs on Nov. 6.

It's not about the fact that he overcame his addictions to become one of the winningest Jockeys in the last 8 or 9 years in wins and money won. Or the fact that he's one of the top jockeys that trainers use when it comes to big races, it's all about the fact that Blame beat Zenyatta.

You Zenyatta haters never give up. GET A LIFE AND GIVE UP THE HATE!!!!
Sericm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sericm
It's not about the fact that he overcame his addictions to become one of the winningest Jockeys in the last 8 or 9 years in wins and money won. Or the fact that he's one of the top jockeys that trainers use when it comes to big races, it's all about the fact that Blame beat Zenyatta.

I think Blame got screwed for HOY....... I also agree with your post 110 percent.....it is over and time for people to move on. Gomez has overcome a lot in terms of his addiction and his subsequent success is amazing. I am glad he got the award and many congrats to him.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
FenceBored

Quote:
All those things were true in prior years, but he didn't win the award. Why now, hmmm?

Quote:
Oh, I see somebody hating on something in this thread, but it ain't me.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
Relwob Owner

Quote:
"[Y]ou and those like you?" Do you mean people like Jay Privman who calls those who don't 'believe' flat-earthers? You mean like the journalists who publish articles on her trip to the breeding shed? You mean like all the people who regularly post comments on Zenyatta's website? Those people?

Or, do you mean the people who composed the press release for the George Woolf Award this year who wrote:
Gomez, nursing an injured shoulder, called upon every ounce of his strength and big-money savvy to win the Classic aboard Blame, while fighting off the late charge of the great Zenyatta by mere inches.
-- http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...e.cgi?id=21018
or
-- http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...11-woolf-award
Those people?

What is your point here exactly, other than to revive the beaten to death argument? They mentioned that race largely because it was his biggest of the year. That would happen in most years, wouldnt it?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
What is your point here exactly, other than to revive the beaten to death argument? They mentioned that race largely because it was his biggest of the year. That would happen in most years, wouldnt it?
The original point of the first post was just to point out Gomez's win in an offbeat manner. I find it a humorous coincidence that the jockey of the horse that beat Zenyatta for 2009 HOY won the Woolf in 2010, and the jockey of the horse who beat her in the 2010 Classic won in 2011. And no, I don't seriously believe it was a put up job. But, it seems like there are some folks around here that can't take the slightest bit of ribbing (I'm not including you in that).
Old 02-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Relwob Owner

Quote:
The original point of the first post was just to point out Gomez's win in an offbeat manner. I find it a humorous coincidence that the jockey of the horse that beat Zenyatta for 2009 HOY won the Woolf in 2010, and the jockey of the horse who beat her in the 2010 Classic won in 2011. And no, I don't seriously believe it was a put up job. But, it seems like there are some folks around here that can't take the slightest bit of ribbing (I'm not including you in that).

Gotcha....thx for clearing it up