Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
craigbraddick

DRF/Bris or other, what is your choice?

As much as I would like to support a national newspaper for the sport, the DRF is just too expensive for my tastes on a daily basis.

I have become a big fan of BRIS and primarily use that for my handicapping. However, I much prefer to have a program in hand, so I still print it out, killing a couple of rain forests per year! But I use TS replays a lot too.

Was just wondering what other posters used and whether they print or have gone entirely to looking at PDF's when handicapping.

Thx

Craig
Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Johnny V

I use the DRF virtually every racing day for many years. I got tired of the unreliability of the delivery of the paper DRF and reluctantly switched to BRIS. The DRF price was not an issue for me because the copies were comped for me for a period of time but the price definitely would be an issue for me if that was not the case. I now use BRIS almost exclusively and I am quite satisfied with their pp's and would not go back to the DRF pp's.
I used to print the pp's but have recently started handicapping directly from the computer vice printouts since most of my betting at this time is now done via ADW.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Used to use the DRF all the time. The rising cost and the fact that thru Twinspires I can get free BRIS Ultimate PP's caused me to make the switch. When i go to the track, I print out the tracks I want to play and make a small win or show bet to make them free and then go to the track.
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
takeout

BRIS (kicked over from TSN)

Still printing but trying to break the habit. (Only playing one track.)
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=78743

Craig check out this thread

The latter part is germane to your quest

Last edited by JustRalph; 02-21-2011 at 05:06 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
craigbraddick

Thanks, Ralph. Best reason to get an Ipad I have seen!

Craig
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
windoor

I can get the Bris Premium PP's for free at Twinspires, but still buy and download them form Post Time Daily. I have been using them since 1996.

I like the filters they offer as it makes it very easy for me to handicap multiple cards in a very short time.

Regards,

Windoor
windoor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick
Thanks, Ralph. Best reason to get an Ipad I have seen!

Craig
I had purchased a Notebook to download pp's and bring them to the track. Did it for a while then realized that I way preferred having a set of printed pp's between my filthy mits. One of the reasons was because I couldn't write and make circles, underlines and other notes on the pp's.

If you just like looking at the pp's and making mental notes, then an iPad, Notebook, etc. is without a doubt the way to go.
If you like to make notes on the pp's, then use the computer and use a pad of paper for your notes.
If you like to really mark up your pp's, then stick to printing them out or buying the hard copy.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
point given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
I had purchased a Notebook to download pp's and bring them to the track. Did it for a while then realized that I way preferred having a set of printed pp's between my filthy mits. One of the reasons was because I couldn't write and make circles, underlines and other notes on the pp's.

If you just like looking at the pp's and making mental notes, then an iPad, Notebook, etc. is without a doubt the way to go.
If you like to make notes on the pp's, then use the computer and use a pad of paper for your notes.
If you like to really mark up your pp's, then stick to printing them out or buying the hard copy.
Ditto - you nailed it.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

I still use a DRF and an orange highliter.
appistappis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

recently I found this app

http://www.pdfannotator.com/indexg.p...FUmo4AodVVpPeg

free thirty day trial works pretty well.........

I like it........it works well on Windows Desktop .........
Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
Sericm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179

Go to PDF Viewer X Change, it is free and you can insert notes, mark up your PDF PP. They have a typewriter tool and mark up tools plus everything else you need and it is absolutely free.
Sericm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
Coleman

If you have a Mac, open the PDFs in Preview, and you have two annotation options; you can put red circles or ovals around anything, or insert text boxes anywhere and type whatever you want. The annotations are savable.

Also there are free apps that allow you to remove pages and combine pages, which to me is incredibly useful.
Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 AM   #14
Dahoss2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeout
BRIS (kicked over from TSN)

Still printing but trying to break the habit. (Only playing one track.)
Me too. I print them if I'm going to handicap at work on break.
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Canarsie

I hope Brisnet doesn't start making the PP's a secure document like the DRF (Quick Sheets)has. If that's the case those programs won't work unless you use something to crack the security properties of the document.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: