Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #31
Java Gold@TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
Siro's is still around, with their proverbial "gotta hit the Pick 6 to afford dinner" prices.

I wonder what the place will evolve into when the current owners finally succeed in selling the place, as they've been trying to do since last winter. BTW, Bobby Flay isn't interested in buying Siro's or any other Saratoga eatery.

V.
I know I read somewhere locally last year that the asking price for Siro's was in the $3.5M-$4M range. Nice location but not all that big and they probably make more money on their drinks than on their food.

Crist was back to praising the Wishing Well again last week in his blog. Sorry but after 6 hourse at the track I'm not really in the mood for fine dining. Maybe that's just me. Give me someplace where I can relax a little and still get away with a $60 check for 2 people. That's not outrageous to ask for, even in Saratoga. A couple of $20 something entrees and a beer for me and glass of wine for the Mrs. and the world is right.
Java Gold@TFT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #32
offtrack

Went to Pennell's last night and had just that.

Italian style, very well done.
offtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 AM   #33
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Gold@TFT
I know I read somewhere locally last year that the asking price for Siro's was in the $3.5M-$4M range. Nice location but not all that big and they probably make more money on their drinks than on their food.

Crist was back to praising the Wishing Well again last week in his blog. Sorry but after 6 hourse at the track I'm not really in the mood for fine dining. Maybe that's just me. Give me someplace where I can relax a little and still get away with a $60 check for 2 people. That's not outrageous to ask for, even in Saratoga. A couple of $20 something entrees and a beer for me and glass of wine for the Mrs. and the world is right.
Olde Bryan, mentioned above, would be perfect for you then
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #34
Little Watermelon

We usually eat in Albany. Grandma's has straightforward food and good pie. We like German food, and dining in a 70's atmosphere, so we usually go to Spa Bauhaus in Ballston Spa, at least once during the meet. El Mariachi has authentic Mexican food. On the pricier side, the Standard has very good food, and tasty Buffalo chicken rolls.
Little Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #35
ghostyapper

Longfellow's is an excellent restaurant by the lake, real gourmet food.
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #36
W2G

No mentions of Sushi Thai Garden yet? Consistently good sushi and always satisfying after a day of track fare.

Across the street Hattie's is a lot of fun and much more than just fried chicken. Comfort food kicked up a few notches.

PJ's on Rt. 9 is a unique experience for city folk and the complete opposite of fine dining. Great ribs. Good choice for a cheap but tasty dinner after a "rough" day at the windows.
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #37
Java Gold@TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Watermelon
We usually eat in Albany. Grandma's has straightforward food and good pie. We like German food, and dining in a 70's atmosphere, so we usually go to Spa Bauhaus in Ballston Spa, at least once during the meet. El Mariachi has authentic Mexican food. On the pricier side, the Standard has very good food, and tasty Buffalo chicken rolls.
lW, good to see you again. Maybe I'll see you sometime at the meet this year. Anyway, here's a place you need to try in Albany. it's new this year.

http://wolffsbiergarten.com/

It's right on Broadway. Huge mugs of beer with a huge international variety of draughts, peanut shells on the floor, plenty of music, wurts and potato pancakes. I think you and Mrs. LW will like it. If you don't make it this month then definitely try when you come back for a hockey game.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #38
grimm7

If anyone feels like driving to Albany. Monday night they have a Italian buffet at the Italian Americam Community Center. Best buffet I have ever had. They have so mant items to eat. It's unbelievable!
grimm7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #39
Java Gold@TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Olde Bryan, mentioned above, would be perfect for you then
Thanks, I already mentioned that I go there on the first page of this thread. Along with their other restaurant, Longfellow's. I also like Gaffney's on Caroline one block off Broadway. I just don't go there during the meet but enjoy it in the spring and the fall. Decent food and reasonable prices for saratoga.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #40
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Gold@TFT
Thanks, I already mentioned that I go there on the first page of this thread. Along with their other restaurant, Longfellow's. I also like Gaffney's on Caroline one block off Broadway. I just don't go there during the meet but enjoy it in the spring and the fall. Decent food and reasonable prices for saratoga.
See, I was right then!
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #41
Vinman

What happened to The Weathervane......on Rt 9 north as you come into town from exit 13N. Property is up for sale.

I was always curious about the place, but never enough to actually go there. Perhaps too many folks felt the same way.
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #42
offtrack

I always enjoyed my visit to the Wearthervane in Saratoga.
A New England chain of seafood retaurants, that are still viable in NE:
From the Saratogian-
10/01/2008

SARATOGA SPRINGS - After more than 20 years on South Broadway, the Weathervane seafood restaurant closed this week.

]]>Both the Saratoga Springs and Rutland, Vt., restaurants were forced to shut down.

Owner Terry Gagner said Tuesday that the twice-a-week shipping from the restaurant's distribution center in Kittery, Maine, became too expensive.

"The trucking became prohibitive," Gagner said. Saratoga Springs was the furthest location west for the deliveries, Gagner said, requiring the longest travel time for truckers.

"We've been there for more than 20 years, so it's sort of a special spot for us," he said.

A press release by the company said the restaurants wanted to stick to self-distribution.

Through an agreement with some fishermen that supply the 16 restaurants in New England, only three or four days pass before a fish pulled from the sea is placed on the table, Gagner said.

According to a report published in the Rutland Herald, the Saratoga Springs location employed about 50 people.

It was not immediately clear whether there would be any severance available for workers.
offtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #43
dkorzun21

good fellows right by saratoga lake and saratoga golf course
dkorzun21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #44
dkorzun21

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtrack
I always enjoyed my visit to the Wearthervane in Saratoga.
A New England chain of seafood retaurants, that are still viable in NE:
From the Saratogian-
10/01/2008

SARATOGA SPRINGS - After more than 20 years on South Broadway, the Weathervane seafood restaurant closed this week.

]]>Both the Saratoga Springs and Rutland, Vt., restaurants were forced to shut down.

Owner Terry Gagner said Tuesday that the twice-a-week shipping from the restaurant's distribution center in Kittery, Maine, became too expensive.

"The trucking became prohibitive," Gagner said. Saratoga Springs was the furthest location west for the deliveries, Gagner said, requiring the longest travel time for truckers.

"We've been there for more than 20 years, so it's sort of a special spot for us," he said.

A press release by the company said the restaurants wanted to stick to self-distribution.

Through an agreement with some fishermen that supply the 16 restaurants in New England, only three or four days pass before a fish pulled from the sea is placed on the table, Gagner said.

According to a report published in the Rutland Herald, the Saratoga Springs location employed about 50 people.

It was not immediately clear whether there would be any severance available for workers.
weathervane is out of business
dkorzun21 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #45
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Watermelon
Which El Mariachi? There are several in the area.
Thanks.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: