Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-07-2009, 12:39 PM   #16
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
The wife says she's found an Indian place up there that is quite good so I will be trying that soon
If it's the one near Court and Spring (or Phila?) I would like to hear how you liked it. The house we were in the previous few years was right around the corner and we never went there.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
If it's the one near Court and Spring (or Phila?) I would like to hear how you liked it. The house we were in the previous few years was right around the corner and we never went there.
I'm heading up for the weekend in a few hours so maybe we'll go there Saturday night. I'll let you know though. I like Indian, so I'll be biased in one way or another.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 AM   #18
MzDucat

Mexican Connection is where Luke's used to be-directly across from the backstretch security gate. The Townhouse, then Barney's Townhouse, then Leones is two streets up and about a block and half up. Leons is Filiberto Leon's restaurant. John Meara owned it 20 years ago, then Barney, then Filiberto. Both good eats but a bit different.

For italian Try Sonny & Jeffs on Route 50. Worth the ten minute drive. And reasonable. Mamma Mia's is good too and closer to town. Both won't be packed racing season.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #19
MzDucat

Vinman:

If you would like to stop by and say hi at the track I'm in Main Line 3-the 500 line as mini dealer. Would love to meet a paceadvantage person. Planning to meet up with the table guys around the 18th. We are planning a trip to the harness track. MzDucat/Cynthia
Old 08-08-2009, 09:53 AM   #20
Vinman

Best Pizza in Saratoga

Last week I found myself standing next to the venerable tip sheet guy, Tom Mullan, while trying to resell my seats last Sunday. He's 76, and a native Saratogian.

I asked him which was his choice for best Pizza in Saratoga. He said he likes Marino's on W. Circular St near Hamilton and the one on Henry St, which is called Inferno. I tried a slice from Inferno after they whipped up a fresh midafternnoon pie at my request when the slices they had looked kinda "cardboardy". The new slices were good, and big, unlike the smaller slices served a block away in the place on the corner near Sperry's.

Has anyone tried Marino's? How 'bout the place that used to be Bruno's. Sabina?

For pizza to enter my personal "pantheon of greatness", it needs to be thin crust and have plenty of sauce that can be tasted separately from the cheese. Most places the sauce & cheese are so mixed together its hard to distinguish one pizzeria's offering from the next.

One unsolicited recommendation from Tom.....Best Breakfast in town is served at the Horseshoe Inn on Nelson. I'd agree its quite good.

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #21
Java Gold@TFT

Vin, I grew up on Inferno Pizza at its original location in Loudonville (suburb of Albany). In the last few years they have expanded to at least 7 or 8 spots in the Capital District. I've always liked it but they changed their crust alittle lately and it has been "chewier" than it was.

I always liked Pope's Pizza. Now it is out on the west side of town on Washington St. I don't remember how long you've been coming here but it used to be in the old Red Barn restaurant on Broadway. I think it's Border's books or something else right now. Still good pizza and even if you don't want thick pizza their Scicilian is excellent.
Java Gold@TFT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #22
Vinman

Java:

I do recall Pope's in town and finally tried their pizza a couple of years ago....found it to be quite good actually.

Yes, Tom mentioned that Inferno was a relatively new addition to their other locations.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
Last week I found myself standing next to the venerable tip sheet guy, Tom Mullan, while trying to resell my seats last Sunday. He's 76, and a native Saratogian.

I asked him which was his choice for best Pizza in Saratoga. He said he likes Marino's on W. Circular St near Hamilton and the one on Henry St, which is called Inferno. I tried a slice from Inferno after they whipped up a fresh midafternnoon pie at my request when the slices they had looked kinda "cardboardy". The new slices were good, and big, unlike the smaller slices served a block away in the place on the corner near Sperry's.

Has anyone tried Marino's? How 'bout the place that used to be Bruno's. Sabina?

For pizza to enter my personal "pantheon of greatness", it needs to be thin crust and have plenty of sauce that can be tasted separately from the cheese. Most places the sauce & cheese are so mixed together its hard to distinguish one pizzeria's offering from the next.

One unsolicited recommendation from Tom.....Best Breakfast in town is served at the Horseshoe Inn on Nelson. I'd agree its quite good.

Vinman
I don't remember the name, but two years ago I got pizza for the guys at the house from a small place down an alley off one of the main streets in toga. Ordered 3 or 4 pies on the phone right from the yellow pages picked it up on schedule and it was quite good. Place only had a couple small tables, mostly a carry-out operation.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #24
offtrack

If your looking for a nice place to park it for a while, try Virgil's on Henry Street. Nice coffee bar and deli, with lots of space to sit and study, chat or whatever. Reminds me of the old Madeline's coffee shop in Saratoga, now gone but not forgotten.
offtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #25
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
It was not that one. That place was called "Little India" or some such. We went tonight to Karavalli on Caroline and Henry. Despite the big crowd at the track, there were seats to be had as it is a couple blocks off the main drag and tourists probably are not drawn to Indian. Clean, bright place, simply decorated (unlike many Indian places I've been to). There was a wide variety on the menu, including some seafood dishes. We started with samosas, veggy and lamb. Both were excellent with flakey crusts. I had my favorite, Chicken Tikka Masala and some garlic nan, the wife had vegetable Biriyani. The Tikka Masala is a standard dish and it was one of the best I ever have had. The tomato flavor really came through and the nan wasn't at all greasy as the garlic kind often can be. Total price was only $60 plus tip for 2 including drinks. Strong recommendation.

Next week, Mouson House
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #26
the little guy

I suggest ordering a day or two ahead of time at the Mouzon House.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #27
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Strong recommendation.
Thanks Al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy
I suggest ordering a day or two ahead of time at the Mouzon House.
Is the service that slow or are they just busy?

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #28
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
I don't remember the name, but two years ago I got pizza for the guys at the house from a small place down an alley off one of the main streets in toga. Ordered 3 or 4 pies on the phone right from the yellow pages picked it up on schedule and it was quite good. Place only had a couple small tables, mostly a carry-out operation.
You can get pretty good pizza up there. I've always thought D'Andreas on Caroline was pretty good. And there is a pizza/restaurant in the big Price Chopper strip mall called Mama Mia's is good too (the Brick Oven pie is great).
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #29
delayjf

Quote:
If you want the best hamburger you will ever have, drive west on Geyser Road towards the Saratoga Airport. When you come to the intersection with a Stewart's on the right and a Cumberland Farms on the left, make a right onto Rowland Street and then turn left into Hanaford Plaza. To the right of Hanaford Supermarket is Juicyburger which serves steakburgers which enables them to cook them rare or medium rare. Fantastic taste and they are literally juicy so use your napkin wisely. If anyone goes, let us know what you think. Burgers and sweet potato fries are about $10 but well worth it.
Dude, you're Killing me. Sounds like a place the food channel to profile on "Dinners, Drive-in and Dives.

Nobody has mentioned Siros, are they still around?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #30
Vinman

Siro's is still around, with their proverbial "gotta hit the Pick 6 to afford dinner" prices.

I wonder what the place will evolve into when the current owners finally succeed in selling the place, as they've been trying to do since last winter. BTW, Bobby Flay isn't interested in buying Siro's or any other Saratoga eatery.

V.