Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Risen Star

Here we go.

The Road to the Kentucky Derby really starts to heat up as we get our first 50 point Win race and a virtual guaranteed position in the starting gate at Churchill come May 7th. Even the 20 second place points will likely lock in Mo Tom and Airoforce while giving everyone else a solid step forward on their goal towards the Run for the Roses.

A solid field of 12 will look to enter the gate in the deepest Derby prep to date. (I will notate those who have already earned Derby points thus far).

In Equality (2 Derby points): He did run 3rd in the G3 Jerome at Aqueduct last out, but he was never really a factor. I love me some Junior Alvarado, but this shipper will need to improve dramatically to hit the board in here. Tough to see.

Mo Tom (12 Derby points): That was an impressive, and easy, win in the G3 LeComte. The connections couldn't have asked for much more in his 3YO bow. One may look at his racing style and say that he needs pace to come home in his closing style. I disagree. The fractions in the LeComte were far from brisk, but he still passed all his rivals with relative ease down the lane when the real running began. Serious serious contender.

Dolphus: Rachel Alexander's half-brother has gotten a lot of hype and hasn't really put it all together based upon that hype. He was beat pretty handily 2 back by Tom's Ready who is a 2nd tier contender in here. The Trainer/Jockey of Sharp and Hernandez are sneaky good and this one could get some action at the totes.

Bistraya: This West Coast shipper comes in off his Maiden score in fairly impressive fashion. The game plan here has to be to get him on the lead and see if he can wire the field. There isn't much other 'legit' speed in this race, so that possibility is out there. Biggest problem is that Hoffenheim was gaining on him late in his Maiden score, and he came back on Monday in a Oaklawn Maiden race and came up short in the stretch. The extra 1/16th likely won't be kind.

Forevamo: He has a nice stalking style, but not much speed of foot when it matters and has fallen short of 2nd and 3rd tier peers a number of times already. Bottom end of exotics seems to be his tops in this one.

Gun Runner (1 Derby point): He ran pretty well in the G2 Kentucky Gold Cup only to come up short against Airoforce, Mor Spirit, and Mo Tom. Nothing to be ashamed about. Was he sent too early? That may be the reason for moving to Geroux in here who is arguably the best "big race" jockey at this venue. He has had nearly 3 months to recover from that race and is training very well. A serious contender that doesn't have to improve all that much to catch his 2 biggest rivals in here.

Its All Relevant: Took 6 times to break his Maiden, and he really hasn't ran against, or beaten, all that much. As a Hard Spun fan I'd like for him to be involved, but he looks to be nothing more than a pace player.

Tom's Ready (4 Derby points): That was a pretty good race in the G3 LeComte, but he was put away rather easily by the Mo Tom. Johnny V gets the call which sparks some interest, and much like the , there isn't a huge amount of improvement needed. Problem is, can that happen in just 3 short weeks? He didn't have the greatest of trips in the LeComte, so that should be taken into consideration as well. A definite contender, but the '1' in the Win column after 7 races is tough to overlook.

Laoban: SCRATCH

Airoforce (10 Derby points): If not for a neck, this one would be 4 for 4 with a Breeder's Cup win under his belt and 2 other Graded Stakes victories. The class of the field is the ML favorite, and may well be come post time. He has been brilliant since day 1, and hasn't disappointed yet. The biggest question is if he can take to a dry fast dirt track? Training lights out, and looks extremely tough in here.

Zapperini: Yea, yea. A quick look at the numbers and the form say this one is well behind a number of rivals in here. However, a 2nd and 3rd deeper look tell me a different story. This one is begging for more distance, and while he won't get much more here today, it is still more. There is a reasonable amount of speed in here and a number of horses with distance questions in which he can clunk up in some exotics as he'll keep running when others are tiring and contenders are closed up to save themselves for a better day.

Uncle Walter (2 Derby points): Hasn't really ran a bad race, but as the distances and competition increase, the harder it becomes. Castellano climbs on board, but this post position is extremely difficult to overlook as the 1 1/16th will be tough enough already.

Candy My Boy: One may look at the form and immediately assume he is a need the lead type horse. A look at the numbers, and further investigation, tell a much different story. Those were easy leads in his last two, and he was just simply better. Brueggemann and Bridgmohan are on fire together, and this guy is getting better each time out and working well. The post is an obvious problem, but it may be a good thing to allow for this one to settle in behind the speed and make one run like a number of others in here. A potential bomber at 15/1 that will be interesting to watch on the tote board as I don't believe we'll get those odds.

W:
EX: /
TRI: //
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
f2tornado

Nice write up above. I'm going with Airoforce . He has already beat some of the best young turf horses out there and has already beat highly regarded Mor Spit along with second ML choice Mo Tom. He has Buckpasser-x, the best Brisnet pace figures, and coming off a nice work. He is certainly no lock but I will bet with confidence.

It gets a little more interesting trying to nail down my trifecta. Mo Tom certainly looked good overcoming some problems at the start in previous trip over the track and the LeComte has demonstrated ample class this year. A must include in my exotics. I'm not yet sold on Gun Runner but getting hot Geroux who hasn't missed the board often in FG stakes this year. I will consider Its All Relevant to boost the trifecta payoff as his Brisnet pace figures fit the race well. Jersey Joe certainly a capable rider. Tom's Ready might not be ready for this distance but respectable last trip in a field that has flattered since. Johnny V is a plus. Uncle Walter in the same boat as Tom. Picks up JC who is one of the best. Maker does a good job spotting his horses.

$20W
$3 EX /
$2 EX /
$2 BOX /
I will bet this $1 tri and then add smaller versions.
/ /

Last edited by f2tornado; 02-19-2016 at 01:41 PM.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
redshift1

Four Uncle Mo offspring in this race.

Stud fee 2014 27K

Stud fee 2016 75K

Stud fee 2017 ???

Airoforce is my pick but as mentioned above it's a big field and Airoforce must contend with the quartet of Uncle Mo minions.

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
minethatbird08

I like "It's all Relevant " not sure I would take him to win but I will put him in my super. I think his last race, first this year, was very good. Two back was second to Shagaf (Chad Brown). I realize that he has just been going against maidens but @ 15-1 he is worth playing.
minethatbird08 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
sammy the sage

Dolphus...scratched....

Is AF fully cranked for this race...probably not...might not matter...BBBBuuuuuttttttttt....I can't wager w/confidence w/out knowing trainer's FULL intent....and on THE best horse....will not try to beat or wager on...a pass....
Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #6
azeri98

and with
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #7
PowerUpPaynter

Airoforce can put himself in the top tier of horses (Nyquist, Mohaymen, Mor Spirit) with a big performance today. Although i think Mor Spirit is a cut below
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
gib
Shouttheodds

Thanks for sharing your in depth analysis.

In my opinion this race looks like the most competitive of the preps so far. It will be interesting to see how this bunch matches up with the rest of the country on Derby day. I see that INTERNATIONAL STAR swept the FG series last year but didn't make it to Kentucky - how did the rest of the runners taking that route make out?

Anyhow, I am a sucker for horses that have run as 3yos versus those showing up for their 3yo debut. That, the Lecomte win and a race shape that might favor his running style leave me on MO TOM.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #9
davew

Although there are many solid horses in here, I am thinking a longshot wire by either Its All Relevant or Bistraya, if either can break free.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #10
bgbootha

Our figures point in a longshot direction here as well.

The ITS ALL RELEVANT and the IN EQUALITY are both overlays anywhere close to their morning lines.

w/ = Exacta
w/ w/ = Trifecta

The all stakes pick 4 is interesting that ends with the Risen Star as well, some even money ML favorites could create an easy route into the Risen Star where I am hoping to see some prices. Plus a random pick4 with those heavy favorites losing could produce a nice pickup.

bgbootha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
RIsurfcaster

I'm taking a serious look at Candy My Boy. I like that he's 2-0 at this track, and 1-0 at this distance. I'm hoping the light came on with his maiden victory and he can improve off of his last effort. I'm not confident he will win, but I may take a small chance with him if I can get better than his ML odds. I'll also be playing around with Gun Runner and Uncle Walter. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Airoforce wins. I just can't take him at small odds given he's never raced on a fast track.
RIsurfcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

Uncle Walter is an overlay and also happens to be my pick to win here.
I like him keyed 1st and 2nd in vertical exotics along with the win money.

Aeroforce has no 'value' here but he's proven that he is pretty good at getting up in grinding type races which may fall apart and 'flow' to the horse with the best 'nose for the wire'. Tough to construct a serious ticket without the 10. I wouldn't be shocked if he wins or if he runs 5th.

Gun Runner is an overlay among the contenders. Seems to really need a dream trip to show his best (and not finish on empty legs) but if he works that trip today, look out.

Tom's Ready is the type who can plod along and beat the . He has some value underneath.

Mo Tom looks like an 'underlay' to me. I think you have to use him 3rd and 4th on tickets, but He's one who will beat me if he places in the top 2.

12/1068
106/12
12/1068/10682
106/12/10682
etc
Old 02-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #13
porkchop

TRI / /
porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
Here we go.

The Road to the Kentucky Derby really starts to heat up as we get our first 50 point Win race and a virtual guaranteed position in the starting gate at Churchill come May 7th. Even the 20 second place points will likely lock in Mo Tom and Airoforce while giving everyone else a solid step forward on their goal towards the Run for the Roses.

A solid field of 12 will look to enter the gate in the deepest Derby prep to date. (I will notate those who have already earned Derby points thus far).

In Equality (2 Derby points): He did run 3rd in the G3 Jerome at Aqueduct last out, but he was never really a factor. I love me some Junior Alvarado, but this shipper will need to improve dramatically to hit the board in here. Tough to see.

Mo Tom (12 Derby points): That was an impressive, and easy, win in the G3 LeComte. The connections couldn't have asked for much more in his 3YO bow. One may look at his racing style and say that he needs pace to come home in his closing style. I disagree. The fractions in the LeComte were far from brisk, but he still passed all his rivals with relative ease down the lane when the real running began. Serious serious contender.

Dolphus: Rachel Alexander's half-brother has gotten a lot of hype and hasn't really put it all together based upon that hype. He was beat pretty handily 2 back by Tom's Ready who is a 2nd tier contender in here. The Trainer/Jockey of Sharp and Hernandez are sneaky good and this one could get some action at the totes.

Bistraya: This West Coast shipper comes in off his Maiden score in fairly impressive fashion. The game plan here has to be to get him on the lead and see if he can wire the field. There isn't much other 'legit' speed in this race, so that possibility is out there. Biggest problem is that Hoffenheim was gaining on him late in his Maiden score, and he came back on Monday in a Oaklawn Maiden race and came up short in the stretch. The extra 1/16th likely won't be kind.

Forevamo: He has a nice stalking style, but not much speed of foot when it matters and has fallen short of 2nd and 3rd tier peers a number of times already. Bottom end of exotics seems to be his tops in this one.

Gun Runner (1 Derby point): He ran pretty well in the G2 Kentucky Gold Cup only to come up short against Airoforce, Mor Spirit, and Mo Tom. Nothing to be ashamed about. Was he sent too early? That may be the reason for moving to Geroux in here who is arguably the best "big race" jockey at this venue. He has had nearly 3 months to recover from that race and is training very well. A serious contender that doesn't have to improve all that much to catch his 2 biggest rivals in here.

Its All Relevant: Took 6 times to break his Maiden, and he really hasn't ran against, or beaten, all that much. As a Hard Spun fan I'd like for him to be involved, but he looks to be nothing more than a pace player.

Tom's Ready (4 Derby points): That was a pretty good race in the G3 LeComte, but he was put away rather easily by the Mo Tom. Johnny V gets the call which sparks some interest, and much like the , there isn't a huge amount of improvement needed. Problem is, can that happen in just 3 short weeks? He didn't have the greatest of trips in the LeComte, so that should be taken into consideration as well. A definite contender, but the '1' in the Win column after 7 races is tough to overlook.

Laoban: SCRATCH

Airoforce (10 Derby points): If not for a neck, this one would be 4 for 4 with a Breeder's Cup win under his belt and 2 other Graded Stakes victories. The class of the field is the ML favorite, and may well be come post time. He has been brilliant since day 1, and hasn't disappointed yet. The biggest question is if he can take to a dry fast dirt track? Training lights out, and looks extremely tough in here.

Zapperini: Yea, yea. A quick look at the numbers and the form say this one is well behind a number of rivals in here. However, a 2nd and 3rd deeper look tell me a different story. This one is begging for more distance, and while he won't get much more here today, it is still more. There is a reasonable amount of speed in here and a number of horses with distance questions in which he can clunk up in some exotics as he'll keep running when others are tiring and contenders are closed up to save themselves for a better day.

Uncle Walter (2 Derby points): Hasn't really ran a bad race, but as the distances and competition increase, the harder it becomes. Castellano climbs on board, but this post position is extremely difficult to overlook as the 1 1/16th will be tough enough already.

Candy My Boy: One may look at the form and immediately assume he is a need the lead type horse. A look at the numbers, and further investigation, tell a much different story. Those were easy leads in his last two, and he was just simply better. Brueggemann and Bridgmohan are on fire together, and this guy is getting better each time out and working well. The post is an obvious problem, but it may be a good thing to allow for this one to settle in behind the speed and make one run like a number of others in here. A potential bomber at 15/1 that will be interesting to watch on the tote board as I don't believe we'll get those odds.

W:
EX: /
TRI: //
Nice call on the Win ticket!
close on the exotics. Pretty good capping

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 02-20-2016 at 06:50 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
close. Pretty good capping
That was painful.

Forevamo runs his eyeballs out to kill me.

Definitely didn't see the doing what he did, but damn was he game today running monster fractions up front of :22.95, and :46.39.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: