Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #1
azeri98

Apple being forced to unlock phones

This seems very "Big Brother" to me. I know the concern over terrorism using encryption to coordinate attacks but this is scary to me. Privacy is becoming less important everyday. I find it hilarious that nobody at homeland security, CIA or FBI can crack an iphone. Are they the keystone cops, these are the guys protecting the country?
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
davew

They just want them to unlock the dead terrorists phone - to find the other terrorists they were working with.

I will not buy from apple again.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
They just want them to unlock the dead terrorists phone - to find the other terrorists they were working with.

I will not buy from apple again.
They want a master key that will unlock any similar phone. There is no way for Apple to comply without creating malware for their own product.

I would note that as soon as a backdoor like this is created, it will be targeted by Russia, China, Iran, and every cyber savvy criminal on the planet.

I will continue to buy from Apple until the day they are forced to comply with an order like this. At that point the entire product line becomes unsecure and their market evaporates.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98
This seems very "Big Brother" to me. I know the concern over terrorism using encryption to coordinate attacks but this is scary to me. Privacy is becoming less important everyday. I find it hilarious that nobody at homeland security, CIA or FBI can crack an iphone. Are they the keystone cops, these are the guys protecting the country?
They could brute force crack a 6 digit numeric code in less than a day. The problem is the phone bricks on the 10th incorrect try.

It's not keystone cops. It's a company that believes in their customers security and created a product that works. Not even Apple can access the data on your IPhone without your cooperation.

Last edited by _______; 02-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Unlock the phones? I'm confused, can sometime translate this for me (dummies 101) thx
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
OntheRail

No the request... it's written very narrow. Just this white Iphone. Apple could of cracked this phone in front of a Judge allowing agents to get at contacts ect. Packed up their black bag and and went to lunch. In doing so they give nothing away or open a backdoor. Doing it quietly on the down low with a understanding of Hush Hush like good USA first corp. citizens. But no have to blow an ant hill into Mount Everest.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:05 PM   #7
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail
No the request... it's written very narrow. Just this white Iphone. Apple could of cracked this phone in front of a Judge allowing agents to get at contacts ect. Packed up their black bag and and went to lunch. In doing so they give nothing away or open a backdoor. Doing it quietly on the down low with a understanding of Hush Hush like good USA first corp. citizens. But no have to blow an ant hill into Mount Everest.
This is simply wrong. Apple does not have the capability to "crack" their phones as you imply.

If the order is enforced and assuming it's even possible, Apple would have to create softwear that overcomes the security on the phone. That softwear could also be used to overcome the security on any similar phone.

I guarentee if it was as simple as you imply, Apple would have complied long ago. They are making a mountain of this precisely because the security of their biggest product line is at risk.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
redshift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail

Think so, read the order:

https://regmedia.co.uk/2016/02/17/apple_order.pdf

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #9
_______
Veteran

Apples biggest market right now is China.

If they comply with a request from the FBI to create a backdoor, how long before they get similar requests from the Peoples Republic?

Add in Great Britain, Russia, Saudi Arabia and on and on.

The idea that anyone who believes in privacy isn't shouting Tim Cook's praises right now is amazing. The silence from Google and Microsoft is also amazing.

If you enjoy spyware on your products, you know where to get them now.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
redshift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
They want a master key that will unlock any similar phone. There is no way for Apple to comply without creating malware for their own product.

I would note that as soon as a backdoor like this is created, it will be targeted by Russia, China, Iran, and every cyber savvy criminal on the planet.

I will continue to buy from Apple until the day they are forced to comply with an order like this. At that point the entire product line becomes unsecure and their market evaporates.
Suddenly every iPhone search becomes exigent circumstance approved by "Friendly judges"
just like any simple drug arrest can become a matter of national security when it's favorable to law enforcement.

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #11
azeri98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Unlock the phones? I'm confused, can sometime translate this for me (dummies 101) thx
They want Apple to create a software to be able to get into any iphone and view its contents, right now they can't view item that use an encrypted app.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #12
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98
They want Apple to create a software to be able to get into any iphone and view its contents, right now they can't view item that use an encrypted app.
ALL data on your IPhone is encrypted if you have been able to update after 2014. You don't need an app. You just need to be running IOS.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #13
OntheRail

They want them to help disable the ten try and wipe option of the IOS on this phone. (That is a work phone provided by the employer whom owns the phone and has given the Okay to hack it). So they can attempt to guess password.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:48 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Apple is right.
If the government wants that information, let them check Hillary's server.

All we need is a government so totally incompetent, that is gets hacked regularly, messing with computer security.

We are at a larger risk fro the idiots in Washington than any terrorists.
If they can't already get the info they need, than why are they cutting the budget for anti-terrorism?

Had this bunch of pathetic losers and incompetents done their due diligence and checked readily available social media, the terrorists would NEVER have been able to strike in the first place. Do not reward their failures.

NEVER side with the Great Satan, the government of the US. Never.

Last edited by Tom; 02-17-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 PM   #15
Fager Fan
Veteran

Apple created the code that wipes your phone clean after x number of bad password attempts. That means they can easily change that code.

There should be no defense of Apple here. They are dead wrong to not comply with this court order. It's no different than a court order of the phone company to see their records, etc.

If Apple is so worried about not being able to keep this new code secure, then that just tells us how all their code isn't very secure.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply